Reply to this topicStart new topic
Windows 8 Information ?
t3hmarz
post Mar 13 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #181
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Mar 13 2012, 03:28 PM) *
So, is anyone here planning to 'upgrade' to Windows 8? And if so, why?

O' course!
It's a new windows with new features, and it appears to be even better than 7.
As long as they disable Metro and reenable the start menu, I'll go for it :)
It's the FUTURE!

Really, there's nothing to lose :)

--------------------
...but I eated it.

the below statement is the truth.
the above statement is a lie.
-Mario
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drawesome
post Mar 14 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #182
Atomican
Journeyman

The Win8 Dev preview and Consumer preview have both had programs/registry edits made for them that re-enables the start menu and disables the metro interface.
I Don't foresee The Final release a problem, these two options will be made available once again, & more I'm sure.
Tune it for your needs and Don't look back...

--------------------
OriginID: MrStoolboy / SteamID: stooliog or MSB
2600K @ 4.4Ghz + WF3 290-OC @ Stock 1040mhz/1250mhz

+Quote Post
osama_bin_athlon
post Mar 15 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #183
Hero
Titan

damn, I shoulda read the fine print, so, you can't restore your win7 image, once you install win8?
how fucking convenient
:|
can't see me getting it, I'll be sticking with win7 for a while, methinks.
meanwhile, it seems I'm stuck with testing it, at least until I can be fucked doing a fresh install of 7
I'd just made a nice fresh new image before I installed 8 too!
okay, my first comment about it is:
it's only meant to be a preview....why do you lose the option to restore your old OS? that's pretty fucked......
the 2nd comment:
the start button/start menu is a complete fuckup - suddenly I'm having to scroll thru what look like smart-fone icons - big blocky things, that the only option is smaller big blocky icons - hardly inviting, I don't even want to look at it.
methinks it'll be as big a failure as Vista, or even Me - only good for tablets, and smart-fones imho

--------------------
Quote by lunchbox1988
No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming.

i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

+Quote Post
A Hitman
post Mar 15 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #184
Atomican
Primarch

QUOTE (osama_bin_athlon @ Mar 15 2012, 01:18 PM) *
damn, I shoulda read the fine print, so, you can't restore your win7 image, once you install win8?
how fucking convenient

What did you expect?
I always install beta OS's to a separate HDD, and I always make sure my primary HDD is disconnected so it doesn't nuke the boot loader during install.

--------------------
not working is hard work

+Quote Post
rs727
post Mar 15 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #185
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (osama_bin_athlon @ Mar 15 2012, 11:18 AM) *
the start button/start menu is a complete fuckup - suddenly I'm having to scroll thru what look like smart-fone icons - big blocky things, that the only option is smaller big blocky icons - hardly inviting, I don't even want to look at it.
methinks it'll be as big a failure as Vista, or even Me - only good for tablets, and smart-fones imho

I don't completely agree with that. The fact the icons are big makes it easier to find/click on, as you don't need to be as precise with your mousing. There's alot more mouse travel but it's still easier & quicker to find what you need. That's assuming you don't have 15 pages worth of apps to go thru. Of course then you'd just use the search to find it, same as win7.

QUOTE (A Hitman @ Mar 15 2012, 11:46 AM) *
how fucking convenient

What did you expect?
I always install beta OS's to a separate HDD, and I always make sure my primary HDD is disconnected so it doesn't nuke the boot loader during install.

+1

Been doing that since the Vista beta's, never had an issue.

+Quote Post
osama_bin_athlon
post Mar 15 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #186
Hero
Titan

QUOTE (rs727 @ Mar 15 2012, 03:46 PM) *
QUOTE (osama_bin_athlon @ Mar 15 2012, 11:18 AM) *

I don't completely agree with that. The fact the icons are big makes it easier to find/click on, as you don't need to be as precise with your mousing. There's alot more mouse travel but it's still easier & quicker to find what you need. That's assuming you don't have 15 pages worth of apps to go thru. Of course then you'd just use the search to find it, same as win7.

QUOTE (A Hitman @ Mar 15 2012, 11:46 AM) *
how fucking convenient

What did you expect?

+1

Been doing that since the Vista beta's, never had an issue.

er....never used Vista, I was happily running XPx64.....
anyway, it's fixed, just ran the win7 install disk, and accessed the image.....5 minutes later, and everything's back to being a PC again
looks like M$ are expecting tablets to take over the known universe - I can see a lot of punters staying with 7.

--------------------
Quote by lunchbox1988
No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming.

i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

+Quote Post
Cybes
post Mar 15 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #187
Atomican
Mafia Winner

QUOTE (osama_bin_athlon @ Mar 15 2012, 04:20 PM) *
looks like M$ are expecting tablets to take over the known universe - I can see a lot of punters staying with 7.

/raises hand

At least until such time as there's a convenient way to fuck Metro right off and leave the (quite decent) OS behind.

--------------------
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea..." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [Quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]

"Reality doesn't care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman, about unintuitive physics.

+Quote Post
sora3
post Mar 15 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #188
Atomican
Guru

QUOTE (mark84 @ Mar 13 2012, 11:53 AM) *
QUOTE (sora3 @ Mar 8 2012, 05:35 PM) *
3) Some programs aren't optimised for Windows 8 yet such as Firefox and Winamp. So expect a lot of graphical glitches. Good news is that the developers for those are developing Windows 8 versions soon. :)

Win8 or Metro versions?

I know Mozilla is working on a metro specific version. You saying the FF desktop version glitches a lot in Win8?

Desktop version glitches a lot in Windows 8. Some of the tabs suddenly disappears and as well as other strangeness.

I will probably upgrade to Windows 8 for the laptop, not for the desktop. The reason being is that it is definitely a lot more optimised for mobility than power user really.

--------------------
Main Rig: AMD A10-7700K @ 4.4GHz/Asus A88X-Pro/8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600@1766/Sapphire HD 7870@1050/5000/Samsung 840 256GB SSD/Bitfenix Shinobi/Noctua NH-D14/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

+Quote Post
nobody813
post Mar 15 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #189
Atomican
Champion

I'll wait for the RC until I'll give my verdict on it

And regarding Metro, I doubt it'll be the only option. I reckon they've made it the only one by default just to show it off, and like others have said the "classic" start menu should be in there come rc

--------------------
"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 2500K | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 | Cogage Arrow | 120GB Intel 520 | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

+Quote Post
twents
post Mar 17 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #190
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (bowiee @ Jan 18 2012, 09:50 AM) *
QUOTE (noah giddings @ Jan 18 2012, 09:04 AM) *
Hey Mac, Windows 8 is out! And It won't have any of the problems Windows 7 had...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=BpOvzGiheOM

Yep macs are really good for...............................................

And especially for running the latest games, and of course all super computers are apple macs. :P

Fuck i would really love to hit that with a baseball bat.

--------------------
BF3 name: FREEZINBONES
Battletag (WoW D3): FREEZIN#1668
Steam: FREEZINBONES

2500k @ 4.6, 7970 @ 1150/1650, HX750, P8p67 pro, Sandisk/Patriot SSD/Ram, Xonar DG
N40L, z2300's, desklamp, mousepad, old shit desk.

+Quote Post
SquallStrife
post Mar 20 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #191
Atomican
Titan

So much derp.

--------------------
KEN SENT ME

[retro swim] | http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroSwim

+Quote Post
Cybes
post Mar 20 2012, 04:30 PM
Post #192
Atomican
Mafia Winner

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19890/a_big...icrosoft_listen

The Windows 8 Consumer Preview has been out long enough for people to try and get used to its dual Metro/Desktop interface. But the longer it's out there, the less people like it, and there's a backlash against the dual system from people ranging from normal users to engineers. Will Microsoft listen and fix the hybrid operating system?

Ex-Microsoft program manager Mike Bibik launched a broadside against the new operating system because of how difficult it is to use with a keyboard and mouse. He launched a site fixingwindows8.com to air his complaints. (Note: When I tried visiting the site today, it displayed only blank pages.) Among other complaints he has is this accurate one:
"Windows 8 just dumps you into the Start screen. No tutorial, no help icon on the main screen, nothing. This will be fixed by launch or Windows 8 will fail."

Bibik is on target. Most people who use Windows 8 on traditional computers rather than tablets will spend their time in the Desktop because that's where the apps they most use are, notably Microsoft Office, which won't run as a Metro app. Yet the Windows 8 Desktop is less useful than in previous versions because the Start menu and Start button have been taken away.

Metro and the Desktop are essentially two different operating systems incompletely bolted together. Sure, techies can figure out how to navigate between the two interfaces, but other people will have a hard time. If you need any evidence of that, you only need to look at a video that Chris Pirillo of Lockergnome made of his father trying to use Windows 8. His father accidentally sends himself to the Desktop and tries to get back to Metro, and is thoroughly confused. When he finds out that Microsoft puts out Windows 8, he asks his son: "They trying to drive me to the Mac?"

That's about half the article. You should hit the link to see the rest.

IOW, other are saying the same things we have been - and in the right places. It remains to be seen whether MS will actually listen to anyone.

--------------------
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea..." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [Quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]

"Reality doesn't care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman, about unintuitive physics.

+Quote Post
sora3
post Mar 20 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #193
Atomican
Guru

I dunno. Metro is quite intuitive already. Unless you're a complete idiot, which I'm assuming the author of the site and some people are, then it is relatively easy to get from one place to another. The Start Menu hasn't been replaced, it is just redone honestly. I was still able to pin the usual programs I used to the Start Metro easily. However, I do agree in that using a mouse and keyboard for Windows 8 is quite underwhelming compared to Windows 7.

I do agree that Windows 8 should have a choice in using the normal desktop if you're on a non-touch machine or the Metro interface if you are on a touch machine.

--------------------
Main Rig: AMD A10-7700K @ 4.4GHz/Asus A88X-Pro/8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600@1766/Sapphire HD 7870@1050/5000/Samsung 840 256GB SSD/Bitfenix Shinobi/Noctua NH-D14/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

+Quote Post
rs727
post Mar 21 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #194
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (sora3 @ Mar 20 2012, 07:35 PM) *
I do agree that Windows 8 should have a choice in using the normal desktop if you're on a non-touch machine or the Metro interface if you are on a touch machine.

First time i've heard that suggestion, and it's probably the best idea so far. There's nothing that Metro apps offer to PC users over the desktop versions, if anything they make it harder to be productive.

+Quote Post
BookWorm.303
post Apr 5 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #195
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Mar 13 2012, 02:28 PM) *
So, is anyone here planning to 'upgrade' to Windows 8? And if so, why?

It is a damn site more modern than Windows XP, plus some of my games run better

--------------------
I thought what I would do was become one of those deaf/mutes.
Or should I?

+Quote Post
nobody813
post Jun 1 2012, 08:45 AM
Post #196
Atomican
Champion

Microsoft Announces Availability of Windows 8 Release Preview

--------------------
"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 2500K | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 | Cogage Arrow | 120GB Intel 520 | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

+Quote Post
tantryl
post Jun 10 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #197
Super Hero
Immortal

The ISO page, which is what I'd guess most Atomicans want: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/iso

Haven't looked at Win8 yet but with the launch expected in 4-5 months I guess I'll have a go at it.

--------------------
"Unless I call you a stupid goddamn liar to your face, I'm being light hearted." - tantryl, to all you evil fucks

"Two things. Number one; I get hard when a woman cries. Number two; your daughter will never walk again." - Dr Glenn Richie

+Quote Post
Ringers
post Jun 22 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #198
Atomican
Master

meh stick with 7 until at least first SP.

+Quote Post
codecreeper
post Jun 23 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #199
Atomican
Primarch

Reading all the notes on Win8 i am now in belief that MS think everyone will own a Tablet ,smartphone and XBOX. And that PC style of computers will become obsolete by the time Win8 is released. Most Games now are ported over to Xbox so this will impact on why people should still purchase a PC. As for a Media Center for Blu-rays and such a XBox will be able to play them soon. Win8 was primarily designed for Tablets and the new wave of technology.

--------------------
You only live life once so get off that computer and enjoy it.

+Quote Post
aliali
post Jun 24 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #200
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (once_i_was_a_maggot @ Mar 13 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but when are we roughly expecting this? I want to upgrade, but I don't want to buy W7 for my desktop if W8 is going to be released late this year or early next year.

Some places are now offering the Win 8 upgrade offer.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/upgrade-offer
Frankly I am totally underwhelmed by the UI, I think it is bloody horrible.
I even had to fucking Google to find the goddam shutdown button, plus what's with the whole having to log in to an MSN account to get the full use of it? The fuck is with that bullshit? What happens if you currently have no internet available or have a network adapter that requires 3rd party drivers, or need to enter proxies or fixed IPs to get a connection?

This post has been edited by aliali: Jun 24 2012, 02:40 PM

--------------------
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:27 PM