Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
BOSE Sub woofers
te0p
post Feb 11 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #1
Atomican
Master

I have been browsing ebay for a subwoofer to use as part of my PC speakers...currently i have Yamaha AV 5.1 DD DTS etc.. amp.

I have a bose centre channel i bought and 2 B&O left right channel speakers

I have a subby as well and it is great but it belongs to another set of Home audio speakers and it needs to go back to complete that set of speakers.

This will leave me with no Subby!

So i was looking on ebay for a subby and noticed alot of Bose Lifestyle subs

I would be keen to get one as they are quite cheap... but because they are not really a component system more a propitiatory one in nature (ie: special leads and plugs) I am worried i wont be able to just plug one into my yamaha AV directly... and being ebay it is a PITA to work out what kind of accesories etc.. like RCA to connect the subby up to my AV.

Any one have any experience using one of these for a subby in a component set up?

Bose subby ebay
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mulder
post Feb 11 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Master

LIKE A BOSS!!!!!!!! heheheh

--------------------
Time to Nut up or shut up !!!

+Quote Post
UberPenguin
post Feb 12 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #3
Atomican
Master

A quick google seems to tell me that there may be a powersuply failure issue after a while, might be worth looking into before you buy.

Personally I find that with a sub the larger the speaker the better the effect even if it has less power. Im not necessarily saying that small speakers dont accurately reproduce low frequencies rather that they just dont move enough air for you to "feel" the low frequency

--------------------
RIG: Phenom II 1055T @3.8Ghz 1.44v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 - 8gig G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1500mhz cas7 - Gigabyte 6950 - G.Skill Pheonix Pro 60g (boot) - 4x1tb in Raid 5 - Azuntech Bravura 7.1 - Fractal Design R3 Black

+Quote Post
Girvo
post Feb 12 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #4
Hero
Titan

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

:P

--------------------
brains: NO U R RONG N00B VISTA IS 4 N00BZ N LINUX IS HIPPIE SHIT

+Quote Post
harhis23
post Feb 20 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #5
Atomican
Charge

Experience tells me that Bose sub woofers are just good when you will not take it to its full volume.. if you do, it sounds like the speaker is broken. A tech told me that when a speaker produces a sound like that, it's probably under-powered; meaning the power supply is not enough to produce a better audio when it's full.

I purchased a Bose for my other PC and compared with my Altec Lansing... at full volume, Bose sounds a crap while Altec Lansing still sounds better.

+Quote Post
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.
post Feb 20 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Hero

QUOTE (harhis23 @ Feb 21 2012, 12:15 AM) *
Experience tells me that Bose sub woofers are just good when you will not take it to its full volume.. if you do, it sounds like the speaker is broken. A tech told me that when a speaker produces a sound like that, it's probably under-powered; meaning the power supply is not enough to produce a better audio when it's full.

I purchased a Bose for my other PC and compared with my Altec Lansing... at full volume, Bose sounds a crap while Altec Lansing still sounds better.

Actually, it's because they're shit speakers.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post
twinair
post Feb 21 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #7
Hero
Immortal

I don't know if shit is the correct word. Overpriced springs to mind.

--------------------
This aint no fuckin' bible study.
I didn't come here to save whales.
I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

+Quote Post
Caelum
post Feb 21 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #8
Hero
Titan

Friends don't let friends buy Bose...

This post has been edited by Caelum: Feb 21 2012, 03:48 PM

--------------------
6hax

+Quote Post
osama_bin_athlon
post Feb 22 2012, 08:09 AM
Post #9
Hero
Titan

BOSE speakers aren't what they used to be, they're just overpriced rubbish these days, using the good name that they once had.
I have a set of BOSE studio monitors from 1976, which sound fantastic. I wouldn't buy them these days.

--------------------
Quote by lunchbox1988
No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming.

i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

+Quote Post
Corpus
post Feb 22 2012, 11:01 AM
Post #10
Atomican
Overlord

The BOSE lifestyle subs don't connect straight to the sub output on the amp. In a normal BOSE setup it goes like this:
BOSE speakers --> Bose sub --> back of speaker connection on the back of the amp.

So unlike other subs, the bose sub doesn't connect directly to the back of the amp.

--------------------
I'm just a cheeseburger short of a Happy Meal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:41 AM