Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
I bought Java A Beginner's Guide (Fifth Edition), So who was the Java Programmer around here, and other Questions.
TheSingularity
post Feb 19 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #1
Atomican
Master

Hi all,

So today I was in the city and this time around compared to last time I was there Dymocks was still open. So I went in-store and straight away after asking the shop-assistant whether they had any books on Programming was delitefully answered with yes they did and they took me to where they were.

Although they didn't have a lot in the way of Beginners books except for the For Dummies range which I wasn't really interested in...Considering I had downloaded there Hacking one a while back or well i think it was that and it was rather useless and was more about preventing Hacking -.-...

Anyway I did find a couple that were of interest but the one that I found most interesting was a rather large book for Beginners although it may have been the only one there for Beginners that wasn't in the For Dummies range...This book being Java A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition, by Herbert Schildt and published and printed by Oracle Press.. So far it seems pretty good and seems to cover so much, including history and little Q&A questions here and there related to the text you were just reading. It also states this book is for people who have no prior programming knowledge which was exactly what I was after.

Oh and the only problem I had was on the way back from the city I got this tiny dot of coke on the edge of my book planning on looking up to see if there is a way to remove liquid stains off paper =\ I find the fact I know I did it and I know it is there somewhat irritating even though I'm already past the first what ten pages the dot was visible on.

So did I make the right choice going for Java and for this particular book?

Thanks for any replies.

EDIT: Might as well toss in there I payyed a little less then $50 for it and was surprised just to find a store for once that sold Programming related books was surprised just how extensive a range Dymocks in Rundle Mall is (...Now I mention where I was haha...Can't imagine anything bad coming of it that I really care about now...Although I had some paranoid thoughts about the fact you could ask for details pretending to be the person who bought that book in that store and ask for credit card details although I see that highly unlikely they would give them to you =P) I've checked multiple book stores closer to my place and they never have anything and recently with Angus & Robertson closing shop I was never really able to check there and from what I can remember the one near me didn't have anything anyway. The only place I've seen with a huge amount of books on Programming, Computer Sciences and Artificial Intelligence are University books stores so they are proper textbooks for University courses which aren't cheap. Good thing is now I know that I could do that later because I have a friend of my step-dad's who is a University lecturer so =D might be able to get them cheaper, when I'm after some other books and am after a particular thing...

This post has been edited by TheSingularity: Feb 19 2012, 06:49 PM

--------------------
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Salvor Hardin, Foundation Series, Isaac Asimov
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kikz
post Feb 19 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #2
Hero
Titan

Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews and rating.

--------------------
Sim and Racing Enthusiasts - http://www.raggedracing.com

+Quote Post
TheSingularity
post Feb 19 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Master

Now I'm confused...Should I have bought the Java The Complete Reference, Eighth Edition =\ $18 more though...

--------------------
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Salvor Hardin, Foundation Series, Isaac Asimov

+Quote Post
TheSingularity
post Feb 19 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #4
Atomican
Master

Gah also discovered on Amazon it was a load cheaper -.- Oh well at least I finally have a bloody book to learn from instead of online guides.

--------------------

+Quote Post
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.
post Feb 19 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #5
Atomican
Hero

The Stanford online lectures are all you need.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post
nicephotog-jvm.n...
post Mar 24 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Charge

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Feb 19 2012, 10:08 PM) *
The Stanford online lectures are all you need.

NO!

Always use these(Gods own stuff)

Java SE (the required core knowledge to learn) http://docs.oracle.com/javase/

and this online

The Java tutorials
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html
There is a box on the right side of the page with "Tutorial Resources" - and "Download the latest Java Tutorials bundle."

--------------------
http://sidewinder11sucommanderxer.podserver.info/SideWinderColourBalancer(EBLA4-Linux-Win-Oct-2012(Oct-fix)).zip

+Quote Post
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.
post Mar 24 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #7
Atomican
Hero

No yourself. Reference docs are a given, and watching a professional lecturer is a lot easier for a beginner than a static webpage.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post
kikz
post Mar 24 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #8
Hero
Titan

ha like trying to learn C# from msdn alone.

--------------------
Sim and Racing Enthusiasts - http://www.raggedracing.com

+Quote Post
nicephotog-jvm.n...
post Mar 24 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #9
Atomican
Charge

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Mar 24 2012, 05:38 PM) *
No yourself. Reference docs are a given, and watching a professional lecturer is a lot easier for a beginner than a static webpage.

To get a background of it before hitting the keyboard for a moment certainly , but in no way will ever replace learning it.

I still disagree, gods own stuff is the tops, i came in out of the rain and sat down in 1999 and saw borlands paper about java2 then found it came from Sun originally and looked up their docs on their site, there tutorials are far superior so never shirk theirs anyhow , Stanford can only be considered a supplement (extra / add on) , not an alternative, certainly use it but it won't beat bozzz(Oracle Sun) at it, neither the "Tech Tips" section for learning java.
They(Oracle - Sun) are just simply good stuff , IBM is also good stuff but it's better when you are starting to move into frameworks and ADT systems.

I also forgot to mention, the other set of docs required are the Core J2SE API docs
this is the J2SE 7 docs API online http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/index.html
go to the J2SE page and download a set for yourself too.

This post has been edited by nicephotog-jvm.net: Mar 24 2012, 05:48 PM

--------------------
http://sidewinder11sucommanderxer.podserver.info/SideWinderColourBalancer(EBLA4-Linux-Win-Oct-2012(Oct-fix)).zip

+Quote Post
wraith676
post May 1 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Master

I have been teaching myself java with this book which i find is great. Java, how to program. Ninth edition. Fantastic book. Well paced and covers the topics well. Great examples and it gets you started from the get go.

+Quote Post
SledgY
post May 2 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Mar 24 2012, 04:38 PM) *

Completely agree on this point. Without a good understanding of the language reference documentation won't help, especially with Java docs that are often little more a slightly expanded version of a header file!

MSDN does a much better job in the documentation department.

--------------------
poweredbypenguins.org - SledgY lives in the cloud...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:23 PM