Reply to this topicStart new topic
Headphones, buy
Ringers
post Mar 8 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #1
Atomican
Master

HI All,

I am after some good quality headphones, can anyone reccomend a model\brand and perhaps a good web site?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fajw
post Mar 8 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #2
Atomican
Useless waste of 0s and 1s

Headphonic

+Quote Post
PointZeroOne
post Mar 8 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #3
Atomican
Mafia Scum

I've heard good things about this website http://headphones.com.au/

And depending on where you are located there might be shops around that you can go try out headphones with your own music.

+Quote Post
Caelum
post Mar 8 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #4
Hero
Titan

What is your budget?

I could suggest some really great headphones, but if they're priced upwards of $2000, and you don't want to spend even $200, there's not much point...

Check out headphonic though... Realistically, they'll have all the information you need.

--------------------
6hax

+Quote Post
Ringers
post Mar 8 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #5
Atomican
Master

I was thinking a couple of hundred.

+Quote Post
Juggs
post Mar 8 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #6
Atomican
Master

I have 2 pairs of these

Fkn brilliant. Dunno if they are still easily available in stores tho, mine are a year or two old.

I find them great for travelling, they provide awesome isolation and they dont bother others.

I find them equally great for recording as they provide amazing reproduction of the source material without adding bass, or otherwise modifying the sound.

The only downside is that if you're listening to downloaded mp3s, you will easily pick out the flaws in low/bad compression and the music will sound horrible. Of course, you're ripping your own cds to create high quality copies s this shouldnt be a problem.

I bought both pairs for around the 120 mark (each). Best bang for buck ever.

This post has been edited by Juggs: Mar 8 2012, 11:56 AM

--------------------
Keep wishing you were me,
and I'll keep making you have to.

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Mar 8 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #7
Hero
Guru

For gaming or music ? For gaming you cannot go past these, Razer Megalodon 7.1 Gaming Headset Internet Price: $175.00

For music for around two hundred I would recommend Sennheiser, something like these. SENNHEISER HIGH END COLLAPSIBLE STEREO HEADPHONE $199.00

+Quote Post
Ringers
post Mar 8 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #8
Atomican
Master

sorry should have said at start mainly for music.

+Quote Post
Caelum
post Mar 8 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #9
Hero
Titan

QUOTE (bowiee @ Mar 8 2012, 10:00 AM) *
For gaming or music ? For gaming you cannot go past these, Razer Megalodon 7.1 Gaming Headset Internet Price: $175.00

For music for around two hundred I would recommend Sennheiser, something like these. SENNHEISER HIGH END COLLAPSIBLE STEREO HEADPHONE $199.00

Two strikes...

Care to try again?

--------------------
6hax

+Quote Post
stuub27
post Mar 8 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (bowiee @ Mar 8 2012, 01:00 PM) *

I can vouch for the Sennheisers- just got a pair last week. They add a bit of bass, so changed settings on my Cowon X7...but basically have been great so far. I mean, for the money (I got them for $167 from Addicted to Audio) I think they are good...for me, they replace a pair of Shure SRH440's.

Of course, this all depends- are you looking for headphones for home use, or on-the-go? If you aren't travelling with them, I wouldn't bother with those particular Sennheisers. Main reason I got them is for superior portability...

--------------------
I keep on buying but the hole still grows...

+Quote Post
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.
post Mar 8 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Hero

Best bang for buck is the Alessandro MS-1. The next step up would be a pair of AKG K540's, I got mine delivered from the US for $100, but that deal seems to have gone.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post
Caelum
post Mar 8 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #12
Hero
Titan

For the price it is difficult to go past the AD900's...

Easy to drive, sounds great, reasonable price.

--------------------
6hax

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Mar 8 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #13
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (Caelum @ Mar 8 2012, 12:59 PM) *
QUOTE (bowiee @ Mar 8 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Two strikes...

Care to try again?

Says you, however we all bow down before your vast intelligence. After all "Two strikes" is such an informative post.

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #14
Atomican
Hero

I've never heard a good 'surround sound' headphone. They're usually just mediocre stereo headphones with Dolby Headphone enabled. The ones that do sound decent tend to be priced higher than they're worth. Same goes with Sennheiser, overpriced for what you get (although there are some exceptions).

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Mar 8 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #15
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Mar 8 2012, 04:24 PM) *
I've never heard a good 'surround sound' headphone. They're usually just mediocre stereo headphones with Dolby Headphone enabled. The ones that do sound decent tend to be priced higher than they're worth. Same goes with Sennheiser, overpriced for what you get (although there are some exceptions).

Then you need to try the Megalodon, in games they are truly great allowing you to pinpoint an enemy with ease. As for Sennheiser yes they do cost but IMHO the quality of sound is worth it, maybe there are cheaper alternatives out there but to try them all is a head spin. So I would rather go with what I know to be good. :)

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #16
Atomican
Hero

There's no point recommending something just because of the brand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelum
post Mar 8 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #17
Hero
Titan

Sorry, Bowiee...

You may as well have suggested Bose, Sony, or Technics as the above suggestions.

Definitions of what is 'good' differ between people. Obviously we have a difference of opinion, based on my experience.

--------------------
6hax

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Mar 8 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #18
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Mar 8 2012, 04:33 PM) *
There's no point recommending something just because of the brand.

Actually sometimes that is reason enough, however headphones can be a very personal choice and anything we recommend here may, to the OP's hearing, sound like shit. All we can do in that case is recommend based on experience, and hope that the OP can try before buying at places like JB's.

QUOTE (Caelum @ Mar 8 2012, 04:35 PM) *
Sorry, Bowiee...

You may as well have suggested Bose, Sony, or Technics as the above suggestions.

Definitions of what is 'good' differ between people. Obviously we have a difference of opinion, based on my experience.

Yep we sure do. ;)

+Quote Post
post Mar 8 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #19
Atomican
Hero

QUOTE (bowiee @ Mar 8 2012, 05:41 PM) *
Actually sometimes that is reason enough, however headphones can be a very personal choice and anything we recommend here may, to the OP's hearing, sound like shit. All we can do in that case is recommend based on experience, and hope that the OP can try before buying at places like JB's.

It's never reason enough with headphones. Even the better brands put out crap sometimes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelum
post Mar 8 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #20
Hero
Titan

And the definition of better brands usually doesn't equal the more commonly known brands.

Most wouldn't know who Martin Logan is... Or even what an electrostatic speaker is... But you don't see Sony releasing any ES speakers ;)

--------------------
6hax

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 08:58 PM