Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Problem creating RAID, Manual says FDD required - I don't have one!
jdm_com_au
post Mar 11 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #1
Atomican
Charge

So I bought a brand new pair of identical H/D's so I can have the O/S in RAID 1. The mobo is an X58A-UD3R Rev. 2. The manual says I need a floppy drive to install the RAID drivers, but I don't have one anywhere. I do have several brand new 1.44Mb floppy discs that I found today. So apart from buying a USB FDD, is there another way around this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smakme7757
post Mar 11 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Overlord

Which Operating system?

Windows XP? If so, you can slipstream the RAID drivers onto the CD, just google "slipstream drivers Xp".

Windows 7 should just work, I've never had to use an extra drivers with 7, but if you really need to then just slipstream the drivers onto that as well.

--------------------
Currently running Ubuntu 13.10

+Quote Post
aliali
post Mar 12 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #3
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (smakme7757 @ Mar 11 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Windows 7 should just work, I've never had to use an extra drivers with 7, but if you really need to then just slipstream the drivers onto that as well.

And if you do Win 7 install will happily read them off a USB.
Just download and extract the Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode) from Gigabyte or off the mobo CD.
Plonk them on a USB flash drive and start your Windows install.
If it can't find the hdd the install will ask for third party drivers. This works for 7 and Vista but for XP you must use a FDD as it won't accept drivers from other media.

--------------------
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

+Quote Post
jdm_com_au
post Mar 12 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #4
Atomican
Charge

I am using Win 7. I was hoping I could install it with a USB, but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Mar 12 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #5
Hero
Guru

My advice is don't use raid if you value your data. The speed advantage, if any considering today's drives are very fast, are minimal IMHO and when it all goes pear shaped tears will flow.

+Quote Post
Xen
post Mar 12 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (bowiee @ Mar 12 2012, 11:24 AM) *
My advice is don't use raid if you value your data. The speed advantage, if any considering today's drives are very fast, are minimal IMHO and when it all goes pear shaped tears will flow.

He's using raid 1 so that's fine.

Are the disks Caviar greens by any chance? If so... DON'T FUCKING DO IT!!!

Sorry I've been in the data center for 3 days straight fixing the fuck up that is using cheap drives in raid in a production machine.

Other than that, either slipstream the drivers as mentioned or you can buy a USB floppy drive, the USBFDD has come in great use for me but might be a waste of money if you don't use it again.

--------------------
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生
如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗
如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

+Quote Post
jdm_com_au
post Mar 12 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #7
Atomican
Charge

They are a pair of WD 500G Blue discs. I hope you're not going to pick on them too much. Having said that, I'd rather have honest opinions. Using a USB just didn't want to work, so in the end I hooked up a second DVD drive and used the drivers straight off the mobo CD. That worked.

It also would've helped a lot if I did 2 things before I started:

#1 Read the mobo User manual.
#2 Read the bloody thing properly.

It actually would've saved about 45 minutes.

+Quote Post
Xen
post Mar 13 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #8
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (jdm_com_au @ Mar 12 2012, 10:43 PM) *
They are a pair of WD 500G Blue discs. I hope you're not going to pick on them too much. Having said that, I'd rather have honest opinions. Using a USB just didn't want to work, so in the end I hooked up a second DVD drive and used the drivers straight off the mobo CD. That worked.

It also would've helped a lot if I did 2 things before I started:

#1 Read the mobo User manual.
#2 Read the bloody thing properly.

It actually would've saved about 45 minutes.

Awesome that's one way to do it.

No the Blue's should be fine, its the Green's that have the issues.

--------------------
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生
如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗
如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

+Quote Post
G-relk
post Mar 13 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #9
Atomican
Overlord

Usually the RAID drivers are on the disk too. Just pull out the windows disc, chuck in the mobo driver disk, and find wherever it is saved on the CD. That's the way I have done it the last couple of times.

Also, windows will sometimes say that it still can't write to the RAID array even after you have installed the RAID driver. You should be able to continue regardless, as that happened to me on my last few installs, and it works fine.

--------------------
Rig: 2500K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, 2 x 6970 2GB, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Corsair Neutron 240GB
Case: Modded Fractal Design Define XL
Loop: XSPC EX360, XSPC EX120, XSPC Raystorm, 2 x XSPC Razor's, Koolance PMP-400

+Quote Post
aliali
post Mar 13 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #10
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (Xen @ Mar 12 2012, 03:51 PM) *

No it's not. RAID IS NOT A BACKUP

--------------------
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

+Quote Post
smakme7757
post Mar 13 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (aliali @ Mar 13 2012, 06:11 PM) *

It's amazing how many people think it is a backup. I was discussing it with a friend at uni (studying computer systems) and he was 100% positive that RAID is backup. He couldn't understand why it wasn't a backup.

I explained it like this.

CODE
(RAID1)
Virus on one disk = Virus on both
Delete from one = Delete from both
etc...

No way to go back in time, no way to recover lost files. RAID is however good to secure against disk failure. RAID is used in backup systems, but it isn't backup.

A good example is a home NAS. You copy all your files daily to the NAS, if you delete a file from your laptop/desktop you can get it back from the NAS. RAID is used in the NAS to secure it against disk failure.

...He still didn't believe me lol

I just had to say "Ok" and leave it at that.

This post has been edited by smakme7757: Mar 13 2012, 06:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
aliali
post Mar 13 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #12
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (smakme7757 @ Mar 13 2012, 07:25 PM) *
RAID is however good to secure against disk failure.

Well raid 1 etc is, raid 0 is no good for disk failure. :P
Raid 0, despite the name, is not a redundant array of independent disks.
:-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
smakme7757
post Mar 14 2012, 05:41 AM
Post #13
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (aliali @ Mar 14 2012, 12:08 AM) *
QUOTE (smakme7757 @ Mar 13 2012, 07:25 PM) *
RAID is however good to secure against disk failure.

Well raid 1 etc is, raid 0 is no good for disk failure. :P
Raid 0, despite the name, is not a redundant array of independent disks.

I think most people venturing into RAID at least know that much ("My RAID 0 backup is awesome" lol), but as you know RAID goes a lot further than 0 to 6 - RAID 1+0 is pretty common here and there, so if someone wanted to be a PITA they could argue that RAID 0 can be involved in a backup preservation strategy.

Anyway. I think the problem comes about when people actually don't have anything to keep a backup of. I never really understood the concept (of a backup) until i started to gain digital files that actually had some value. So i think the concept of a backup is learnt after you acquire something you would rather not loose.

That's why people think RAID 1 is a backup seeing as everything they currently *have* will still exist if one more of their drives fail. It's when they realise they deleted a file they actually needed that they don't actually have a backup.

This post has been edited by smakme7757: Mar 14 2012, 05:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xen
post Mar 14 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #14
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (aliali @ Mar 13 2012, 05:11 PM) *

Ahh for fucksake, i figured that had been mentioned so many times now that it was drilled into everyone's head.

But yes RAID is not a replacement for a decent backup solution, RAID will also not fix or help the grand fuckup that is file corruption.

--------------------
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生
如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗
如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

+Quote Post
jdm_com_au
post Mar 14 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #15
Atomican
Charge

I know RAID isn't a backup. I have a second H/D for most of my file storage and that worked well after the O/S H/D failed. At least this will help me WHEN either of these new drives eventually fail. But as was mentioned, it won't stop file corruption.

+Quote Post
jdm_com_au
post Apr 18 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #16
Atomican
Charge

So now that I've had file corruption on my RAID 1 setup that will force me to start again, what should/could I have done to prevent/reduce this happening? It's only an O/S re-install, all my important data is on another drive.

+Quote Post
aliali
post Apr 18 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #17
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (jdm_com_au @ Apr 18 2012, 07:52 PM) *
So now that I've had file corruption on my RAID 1 setup that will force me to start again, what should/could I have done to prevent/reduce this happening? It's only an O/S re-install, all my important data is on another drive.

First thing would be to try and figure out exactly why you had file corruption. Dodgy drive? Dodgy Sata lead? bad memory or even CPU?
In reality consumer level raid controllers are, IMO, not terribly robust so I feel it is generally wise to leave the raid stuff to the enterprise boys with their serious hardware.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdm_com_au
post Apr 18 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #18
Atomican
Charge

The problem was not enough volts from the wall for a few seconds. So there's no real way to prevent file corruption then? Just make plenty of backups?

+Quote Post
aliali
post Apr 19 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #19
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (jdm_com_au @ Apr 18 2012, 09:20 PM) *
The problem was not enough volts from the wall for a few seconds. So there's no real way to prevent file corruption then? Just make plenty of backups?

Gah ye that will do it. Best fix for that is to invest in a UPS. For a gaming PC something around the 1000 to 1500VA should do.
I am using an Upsonic DS 2000 because I got a good price on it.

http://www.upsonic.com.au/pdf/domestic-sme.pdf
Seems to work well except you can't turn off the stupid front LCD backlight so got a piece of cardboard stuck over it so it does not annoy me.
Can get them for around $500.00 odd which may seem a lot but worth the $$ IMO.
I use mine to power the PC, LCD and modem/router so if I have a brief power outage I don't even lose the internet connection.
For a non gaming PC you should be able to go to a 1000VA or less, easily (no big power hungry GPU to feed).

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdm_com_au
post Apr 19 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #20
Atomican
Charge

I was told a couple of weeks ago that my income will be terminated as of May 9, so a $500 accessory will just have to wait until I find somebody else to throw money at me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:15 AM