Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Does it make me weird...
Girvo
post Mar 16 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #1
Hero
Titan

If I am seriously interested in this project?

http://scriptor.github.com/pharen/.

Now, I am very well versed in PHP, and I don't mind it, apart from it's ugly syntax and odd quirks (sigh). What draws me to Pharen is the really neat way of thinking, Lisp-style. I've always wanted to learn Lisp.

Anyway, I'm working on a Slim + Idiorm wrapper (based on someone elses work) for it, so I'll soon be building web-apps in a Lispy dialect. Neat!

Have many of you had much experience with Lisp in a non-academic context?

--------------------
brains: NO U R RONG N00B VISTA IS 4 N00BZ N LINUX IS HIPPIE SHIT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boyter
post Mar 19 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #2
Atomican
Overlord

You aren't weird. I have been looking at this too. My only reservation is that it could make debugging a pain in much the same way CoffeeScript is a bit of a pain to debug.

What I have been doing is writing my backend services in a mix of Clojure/Java, exposing them though a simple API using Jetty and then communicating to that using JSON. Works well in my situation and I can keep using PHP for what its good at, the JVM for what its good at and get the benefit of coherent debugging on the whole stack.

As for Lisp dialects... I tend to not use them generally. I do write most things in a functional style but stick with the more mainstream languages as any problem I encounter is already solved on StackOverflow. If you are going to get into one though I would suggest Clojure. Its more pure then things like Scala runs on the JVM and is building enough traction to have most issues already solved.

--------------------
http://www.searchforphp.com/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:23 PM