Reply to this topicStart new topic
120mm Fan Choice
ae86represent
post Mar 17 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #1
Atomican
Journeyman

Hey all.

Looking for some good quality, low noise fans.

Have stripped my case and I am in the process of modding to fit extra fans and improve airflow. Plan on setting up a 3 intake, 2 exhaust positive pressure arrangement. So need a minimum of 5 good quality 120mm fans. Or 4 120mm fans and one larger say 200mm intake for the side panel.

Case is only a mid-tower, and so the fans do not need to push massive volumes of air. Priority is low noise as I have decided on a Corsair H80 CPU cooler for quietness and to eliminate the heat associated with a typical CPU cooler.

Fingers crossed my new HD7870 lives up to its low heat/noise promises. Otherwise all this work will have been rendered moot lol.

Edit. H80 cooler not H100. No room for dual rad.

This post has been edited by ae86represent: Mar 17 2012, 08:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bushi
post Mar 17 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Guru

Arctic Cooling fans are cheap and almost silent too while pushing a fair bit of air.

They are my pick if ever buying 120mm fans. The price is the main selling point and the rest is a bonus.

--------------------
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/detail5/pc/squatter.png

i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 17 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (bushi @ Mar 17 2012, 08:29 PM) *
Arctic Cooling fans are cheap and almost silent too while pushing a fair bit of air.

They are my pick if ever buying 120mm fans. The price is the main selling point and the rest is a bonus.

Nice. On paper they look good, and at a reasonable price.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15441

More than enough air flow, and if full speed ends up being a little noisey. I could always run them at 7V in stead of 12V. Just not sure what the minimum start up voltage is? This is specified for some of the other fans listed. Not for Arctic Cooling ones though.

+Quote Post
AMD AKIMBO
post Mar 17 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #4
Atomican
Primarch

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=4561
the best i have used.

--------------------
3930k @4.4, 2x120gb agility3's, 1.5tb seagate, 8 seagate 2tb lp's on perc6i raid6, hx 650 psu, gtx 580 sli, 32 gig trident x, asrockxtreme4, h60, acer b273h,
fractal xl, samsung bluray.

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 17 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #5
Atomican
Journeyman

Anybody have any experience with the BitFenix Spectre Pro series of fans?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19134

Read a few reviews, seem to be a good thing. A little pricey though.

+Quote Post
123abc
post Mar 18 2012, 01:27 AM
Post #6
Quark
Learner

QUOTE (AMD AKIMBO @ Mar 17 2012, 10:20 PM) *

This.

And just under $10 each is ridiculous for the Nexus fans.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12437

EDIT: Depending on where you have your case, the Corsair watercooler may not be the best choice for silence. My mates Antec Kuhler makes a slight crackling noise from the air bubbles in the loop, which I personally would find very irritating. Going for a Noctua nh-d14 would be more quite, and provides equal to superior cooling. It depends what you find more irritating, I'd rather hear the slight whoosh of air from my Hyper 212 +, to the crackle of bubbles from the all in one watercooler.

This post has been edited by 123abc: Mar 18 2012, 01:34 AM

+Quote Post
aliali
post Mar 18 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #7
Super Hero
Titan

NM

This post has been edited by aliali: Mar 18 2012, 09:00 AM

--------------------
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 18 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #8
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (123abc @ Mar 18 2012, 01:27 AM) *

This.

EDIT: Depending on where you have your case, the Corsair watercooler may not be the best choice for silence. My mates Antec Kuhler makes a slight crackling noise from the air bubbles in the loop, which I personally would find very irritating. Going for a Noctua nh-d14 would be more quite, and provides equal to superior cooling. It depends what you find more irritating, I'd rather hear the slight whoosh of air from my Hyper 212 +, to the crackle of bubbles from the all in one watercooler.

I was actually looking at that value pack. MUCH cheaper than buying 5 of the BitFenix fans. And truth be told I like the minimalistic look of the Nexus fans. The BitFenix ones just look like their trying to hard. Performance is still good, and noise levels are spot on.

I have done a little research on the Corsair H80. And from all reports the pump is inaudible. I have little doubt that the 7870 will be the loudest component in the case. That being said, I have also heard reports the Kuhler pumps being noisey from time to time. One of the reasons I decided to go with Corsair's offering instead.

Anyone actually running a H80 or H100. Would love to hear some first hand experience in regards to noise levels.

+Quote Post
GhostFaceKilla
post Mar 18 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #9
Atomican
Overlord

Noctua fans are the absolute best that I have ever used. And I have done a lot of experimenting with 120mm fans. They are worth every cent and very customisable. Whisper quiet, great airflow.
These are great for heatsinks and when you want a bit more oompf.

I have 2 of these on my heatsink and one as an exhaust. They are good if you have more of a tight area to push air through or just want a bit more power.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=6223

These are great as all purpose case fans - intake or exhaust.

I have one on the side as an intake blowing air in to the GPU and Power supply area.

I have also used these on top of the case as exhausts and inside the case on the floor as an intake.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=11404

The fans all come with adapters which make it easy for you to reduce the RPM and noise to something that you want. Note most people have their fans blowing at an RPM that is more than required.

--------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znodcpMzcnA&feature=player_embedded

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 18 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (GhostFaceKilla @ Mar 18 2012, 10:08 PM) *
Noctua fans are the absolute best that I have ever used. And I have done a lot of experimenting with 120mm fans. They are worth every cent and very customisable. Whisper quiet, great airflow.
These are great for heatsinks and when you want a bit more oompf.

I have 2 of these on my heatsink and one as an exhaust. They are good if you have more of a tight area to push air through or just want a bit more power.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=6223

These are great as all purpose case fans - intake or exhaust.

I have one on the side as an intake blowing air in to the GPU and Power supply area.

I have also used these on top of the case as exhausts and inside the case on the floor as an intake.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=11404

The fans all come with adapters which make it easy for you to reduce the RPM and noise to something that you want. Note most people have their fans blowing at an RPM that is more than required.

I cant argue with you there mate. They definably perform well if the supplied info is to be believed (I don't doubt the numbers and several reviewers totally agree with you). But are a little on the expensive side!

At almost 3 times the cost of the Nexus, and not quite double the cost of the Bitfenix. I don't think I can justify the cost.

Lets do the math.

Noctua - Max Airflow 59.25cfm - Noise Level 18.1dB(A) - Cost (x5) $130
BitFenix - Max Airflow 56.22cfm - Noise Level 18.9dB(A) - Cost (x5) $80
Nexus - Max Airflow 36.87cfm - Noise Level 18dB(A) - Cost (x5) $49

They may well be awesome. But on paper they lose out on the "bang for your buck" factor.

At this stage I am leaning towards the BitFenix items as they also have 140mm fans at the same price as the 120mm ones. And after some measuring, I have realized that I can swap over 2 of the intakes to 140mm items as they will fit fine.

They even do a 230mm fan that still manages to maintain a relatively low 25.6dB(A) that would be perfect for the side panel intake. This would be great to run @ 7V to decrease noise further and provide excellent airflow over the MB (water cooling the CPU means the chip set and other MB components will miss out on the air flow provided by a typical CPU cooler) and fresh air for the GPU.

This post has been edited by ae86represent: Mar 18 2012, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
TheFrunj
post Mar 19 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Guru

+1 for Noctua fans, and I'll mention Scythe as a good product too.

Note that manufacturer dBA ratings are skewed and can't be compared between products. Go for independent reviews to see consistent measurements.

That said, I'll +1 the AC fans for budget choices, they're not bad. Just mount them with silicon tabs or a silicon frame because sleeve bearing can vibrate a bit.

--------------------
"TheFrunj doesn't guess, when he forms words with his lips, the world will Warp and change to do his bidding." - Shikimaru

No longer writing for Atomic :(

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=49899

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 19 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (TheFrunj @ Mar 19 2012, 02:05 PM) *
+1 for Noctua fans, and I'll mention Scythe as a good product too.

Note that manufacturer dBA ratings are skewed and can't be compared between products. Go for independent reviews to see consistent measurements.

That said, I'll +1 the AC fans for budget choices, they're not bad. Just mount them with silicon tabs or a silicon frame because sleeve bearing can vibrate a bit.

Good point on taking manufacturers dB claims with a grain of salt. I have spent a fair amount of time reading hands on reviews over the last couple of days. And the noise levels measured by each reviewer can vary a lot. The Noctua fans pretty much have rave reviews whoever it is testing them. But the BitFenix 'Pro' series fans have also had rave reviews. They just haven't been around long enough for there to be more than a handful of 'legitimate' reviews.

I bit the bullet today and ordered the 5xpack of Nexus fans, as @ $10ea I couldn't resist a bargain, and its always good to have some spare fans floating around. Also ordered 1 x 230mm and 1 x 140mm BitFenix Pro fans on the same order. Will try out the BitFenix fans and see how they perform.

Might still drop for 2 of the Noctua NF-P12 fans to replace the fans that come standard on the H80 cooler, if the BitFenix fans disappoint.

+Quote Post
123abc
post Mar 19 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #13
Quark
Learner

Good choice on the Nexus fans. Make sure to use the rubber "screws" that they come with.

+Quote Post
SquallStrife
post Mar 20 2012, 07:25 AM
Post #14
Atomican
Titan

Delta Black Label or bust, man!

--------------------
KEN SENT ME

[retro swim] | http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroSwim

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 20 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #15
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (SquallStrife @ Mar 20 2012, 07:25 AM) *
Delta Black Label or bust, man!

lol's

You are either taking the piss, or didn't read the OP. 40dB!!? WOW loud.

+Quote Post
AMD AKIMBO
post Mar 20 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #16
Atomican
Primarch

good choice you wont regret it.
let us know your thoughts on my favourite fan.

--------------------
3930k @4.4, 2x120gb agility3's, 1.5tb seagate, 8 seagate 2tb lp's on perc6i raid6, hx 650 psu, gtx 580 sli, 32 gig trident x, asrockxtreme4, h60, acer b273h,
fractal xl, samsung bluray.

+Quote Post
osama_bin_athlon
post Mar 23 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #17
Hero
Titan

QUOTE (ae86represent @ Mar 18 2012, 12:13 PM) *

This.

I was actually looking at that value pack. MUCH cheaper than buying 5 of the BitFenix fans. And truth be told I like the minimalistic look of the Nexus fans. The BitFenix ones just look like their trying to hard. Performance is still good, and noise levels are spot on.

I have done a little research on the Corsair H80. And from all reports the pump is inaudible. I have little doubt that the 7870 will be the loudest component in the case. That being said, I have also heard reports the Kuhler pumps being noisey from time to time. One of the reasons I decided to go with Corsair's offering instead.

Anyone actually running a H80 or H100. Would love to hear some first hand experience in regards to noise levels.

I'm using the H100 - without doubt, the best over the counter cooler I've ever owned
idle temps - I've seen it as low as 22c overnight, around 29-30c during daylight hours
at 4.6G it barely gets over 50c when OCCT is running - at 5.2G, it rarely went over 60c
I was tossing up the H80, but opted for the H100 with the 240cm radiator - very pleased that I did
I'm kind of over gigantic towers hanging off my mobo - sick of the look of them, covering up 1/2 the motherboard, and being the center of focus
the H series of coolers is so neat and compact, and no maintenance - no dust magnets here!
as for noise, I've never found it necessary to run the fans anything above the lowest setting, so, it's real quiet, despite the extra fan.
another great product from Corsair.

--------------------
Quote by lunchbox1988
No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming.

i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

+Quote Post
ae86represent
post Mar 23 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #18
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (osama_bin_athlon @ Mar 23 2012, 07:19 AM) *
QUOTE (ae86represent @ Mar 18 2012, 12:13 PM) *

This.

I'm using the H100 - without doubt, the best over the counter cooler I've ever owned
idle temps - I've seen it as low as 22c overnight, around 29-30c during daylight hours
at 4.6G it barely gets over 50c when OCCT is running - at 5.2G, it rarely went over 60c
I was tossing up the H80, but opted for the H100 with the 240cm radiator - very pleased that I did
I'm kind of over gigantic towers hanging off my mobo - sick of the look of them, covering up 1/2 the motherboard, and being the center of focus
the H series of coolers is so neat and compact, and no maintenance - no dust magnets here!
as for noise, I've never found it necessary to run the fans anything above the lowest setting, so, it's real quiet, despite the extra fan.
another great product from Corsair.

Thanks for the feedback mate. Good to hear. Will now feel a little more confident dropping some cash on this particular cooler.

I also agree with your feelings on gargantuan aftermarket air coolers. Not a fan at all.

Cheers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:07 PM