Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
First Time Fixing iPods, A repair log.... But for iPods!
hutchpe
post Mar 28 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #1
Quark
Learner

I've often spent a lot of time looking at smashed iPods and thinking to myself "If only I could fix them". Well the other day I got of my arse and actually looked into it and I was excited by what I found. I found that I can buy parts VERY cheap from the US and Hong Kong. This was a start but I was still unsure on how to go about actually replacing the broken bits. Then I came across iFixit.com. After looking through their guides I decided I would have a crack at it.

After looking around for a bit I managed to find some friends with iPods for repair. Three cracked screens and a dead battery.

I decided to attempt the 2nd gens first because they are easier to fix than the 4th gen. Here is the before shot of the iPod before my first ever fix.

The first thing I had to do was lever off the old cracked digitizer which turned out to be very difficult (and very sharp) but I finally managed to get it off ready for the new digitizer.

Installing the new digitizer was as easy as connecting the new connector and pushing the digitizer into place. The end result was an iPod that looked brand new.

Feeling very happy with myself with fixing all the 2nd gens successfully I decided to move onto the 4th gen. This turned out to be very difficult due to the screen being so badly smashed and the metal casing being slightly warped out of shape.

The before shot of the 4th gen.

The first thing to do was lever of the old screen. The difference between 4th gens and the previous generations is that the lcd screen is attached to the digitizer meaning that the two have to be bought together. Also the 4th gens use adhesive to secure the screen assembly to the rest of the iPod. Because of how badly the screen was smashed it came off in peices.

The remains of the old screen.

After the screen assembly was free of the iPod I then had to remove the mid plate. Once this was free I have access the the mainboard. One of the most difficult aspects of this fix was attaching the new digitizer cable to the underside of the mainboard. This is done my flexing the mainboard up just enough to get the connector under there.

After half an hour of frustration it was finally connected. Next I had to screw the mainboard and mid plate back into place. Then came the next difficult aspect of the fix. Because the iPod had been smashed so badly it has warped the metal casing. This resulted in the screen not quite sitting flush with the case. After another half hour of frustration I managed to get the screen assembly stuck well into the case.

Apart from the screen not being quite flush it was a successful fix. Here is the end result. (Because of the photo limit I couldn't post the photo so here is the link)

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/h...pe/IMG_2732.jpg

For all those of you out there with broken iPods or iPhones I would encourage you to have a go at fixing them yourself. You can bring back life to your phone with very little money and you don't need to be a professional to do it!

--------------------
Intel Core i7 950, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, G.Skill 6GB 1600, Gigabyte GTX 460, Seagate 1TB, Corsair TX 750, Thermaltake Frio, Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Harmonic Cacopho...
post Mar 28 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Guru

Great job fixing those. I would have thought a busted ipod would be next to impossible to fix judging by their compact nature. Breaking one thing would mean everything else is broken too. I guess not.

I had a gen3 touch that I beat the hell out of, but never broke. It was in my pocket in my hectic job every single day. Never even scratched the screen. I had to retire it due to wearing out the headphone jack. I don't know if that's something that could be easily fixed, I'm guessing it would require soldering which I'm terrible at.

My brother recently broke the screen on his gen4, but I doubt he could be bothered fixing it, and that repair process looked pretty finicky.

Do you think you could make some money out of repairing ipods/phones and selling them as refurbished or whatever?

+Quote Post
hutchpe
post Mar 29 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #3
Quark
Learner

QUOTE (Harmonic Cacophony @ Mar 28 2012, 11:09 PM) *
I had a gen3 touch that I beat the hell out of, but never broke. It was in my pocket in my hectic job every single day. Never even scratched the screen. I had to retire it due to wearing out the headphone jack. I don't know if that's something that could be easily fixed, I'm guessing it would require soldering which I'm terrible at.

Unfortuanetly yes replacing the headphone jack does require soldering.

Do you think you could make some money out of repairing ipods/phones and selling them as refurbished or whatever?

Yes considering that Apple and other repair places charge over $100. I was thinking of charging say $65 a fix. That would leave me with a profit around 40$. The only problem is that buying broken ones of Ebay is risky because you don't know whether you are buying one with a simple problem or whether there are more problems that haven't been picked up or it's a failed repair attempt.

--------------------
Intel Core i7 950, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, G.Skill 6GB 1600, Gigabyte GTX 460, Seagate 1TB, Corsair TX 750, Thermaltake Frio, Lancool Dragonlord PC-K62

+Quote Post
Jeruselem
post Mar 29 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #4
Atomican
Guru

I think that iPod Nano that Dad found in the ocean someone dropped is beyond any redemption.

--------------------
Resident KatyCat

Smartphone: HTC Trophy T8686 - WP 7.10.8107.79 (aka Mango updated)
Netbook: ASUS EEE PC 1015PN - Win7 Pro, Intel N550@1.5Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD SATA, nVidia ION2
Laptop: Win8 Home x64, Intel i5-430 @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB RAM, 240GB Corsair SSD, nVidia Geforce GT310 1GB
Work PC: Win7 Pro x86, Intel Q9550@2.83Ghz, 4GB RAM, 2 x 250GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX1700, 600W PSU

+Quote Post
p0is0n
post Mar 29 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #5
Atomican
Champion

Nice work man. I've replaced around 10 or 15 iphone screens (whenever some retard drops theirs) - screens were cheap off ebay, and charged $50 to do the repair.
You can make plenty of easy cash doing this.

QUOTE (hutchpe @ Mar 29 2012, 01:07 PM) *

Yes considering that Apple and other repair places charge over $100. I was thinking of charging say $65 a fix. That would leave me with a profit around 40$. The only problem is that buying broken ones of Ebay is risky because you don't know whether you are buying one with a simple problem or whether there are more problems that haven't been picked up or it's a failed repair attempt.

As you pointed out, its pretty risky and probably not worth doing. If it was just a simple screen swap it probably wouldn't be for sale on ebay. If you can find them cheap enough though, might be useful for other parts :)

This post has been edited by p0is0n: Mar 29 2012, 06:11 PM

--------------------
i7 2600k | Z68A-GD80 | 8GB RAM | CF 7970 | 120GB SSD | 1kW PSU | Butchered Case | Water Cooling | U2713H
HP N40L | 16GB RAM | 7x WD 2TB | Ubuntu | ZFS

+Quote Post
hutchpe
post Mar 30 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #6
Quark
Learner

Going to be fixing another iPod 4th gen and an iPhone 3gs in a couple of weeks. Will post pictures.

This post has been edited by hutchpe: Mar 30 2012, 09:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mykl_c
post May 2 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #7
Hero
Champion

Nice work! One suggestion from sad experience - attach a cheap screen protector before removing the digitiser. Helps keep the bits together and avoid blood.

Damn! Just realised you could use GAF tape for the job - you're not going to re-use the broken screen.

This post has been edited by mykl_c: May 2 2012, 09:24 PM

--------------------
ISAIAH 58:8
"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him,and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"

+Quote Post
mykl_c
post May 3 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #8
Hero
Champion

Untill I finally get the right (3G) digitiser and lcd assembly. Removed screws, removed and disconnected damaged assembly. Carefully attached 3 new connections and seated new screens (bit tight). Pushed power button . . . nuffinx. Checked seating, re-inserted screws, pushed power button . . . nuffinx again. Oh well, put the old one back I guess. Removed screws, attached sucker to digitiser and gently attempted to remove the screen assembly. Bit tight. Re-seated sucker and tried again. Digitiser separates from underlying assembly! Carefully remove rest of screens, clear internal connections and re-install old screen assembly.
Pushed power button for 6 seconds . . . NUFFINX! ARGHghghghghgurgle.
Worst thing - synced no problems, called from landline, receives call and rings.

Re-tried several times with both assemblies, except without seating them to avoid tight fit issues. It's forked.

--------------------
"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him,and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"

+Quote Post
mykl_c
post May 3 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #9
Hero
Champion

No, it's not. A cold restart and there's my shiny apple logo.
Thanks, Salon.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
hutchpe
post May 4 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #10
Quark
Learner

QUOTE (mykl_c @ May 3 2012, 10:38 PM) *
No, it's not. A cold restart and there's my shiny apple logo.
Thanks, Salon.com

Ah yes I remember reading that they sometimes need a hard reset once the screen assembly/digitizer has been replaced.

QUOTE (mykl_c @ May 2 2012, 09:23 PM) *
Damn! Just realised you could use GAF tape for the job - you're not going to re-use the broken screen.

I acutally did use tape on the one that was really badly smashed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIMBOT
post Jun 13 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Champion

I've been watching some repair videos and I'm thinking I give it a shot too.

My girlfriend dropped her iPhone4 in the toilet. We turned it off and placed it in a bag with some rice for a week, and it seems dry enough now. The screen is dim and has dark patches. I'm not sure what needs to be replaced here. I'm guessing it's the actual LCD screen? I'm looking at this. It's responsive to touch input, so I don't think I should bother with the digitiser combos like this.

--------------------
Too long didn't read.

+Quote Post
hutchpe
post Jul 21 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #12
Quark
Learner

Sorry for the late reply but NEVER purchase the LCD or digitizer separate with iPhone 4 and 4s and iPod 4th gen. You need to buy them as one package like in the second link otherwise you will have one hell of a time trying to glue the two together.

Hope this isn't too late.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIMBOT
post Jul 26 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #13
Atomican
Champion

QUOTE (hutchpe @ Jul 21 2012, 02:14 PM) *
Sorry for the late reply but NEVER purchase the LCD or digitizer separate with iPhone 4 and 4s and iPod 4th gen. You need to buy them as one package like in the second link otherwise you will have one hell of a time trying to glue the two together.

Cool thank you. She decided she'd just save whatever it'd have cost and put that towards the next one. It's been over a month now and the screen it's pretty much back to normal. (I was kinda looking forward to opening it up!)

Cheers!

--------------------
Too long didn't read.

+Quote Post
pumpjockey02
post Jun 20 2013, 01:57 AM
Post #14
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (AIMBOT @ Jul 26 2012, 01:09 PM) *
QUOTE (hutchpe @ Jul 21 2012, 02:14 PM) *

Cool thank you. She decided she'd just save whatever it'd have cost and put that towards the next one. It's been over a month now and the screen it's pretty much back to normal. (I was kinda looking forward to opening it up!)

Cheers!

That reminds me of when I dropped my 3ds in the toiket twice and it still works, he he those things are made well. I had to dry it out 4 like 3 days the first time then I dropped it in the bowl again. This time I only waited a day and yiipee still works a year on.
Note to self dont leave 3ds on the toilet while in the bath.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 03:38 PM