Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Gaming Headset, Budget 100 bucks.
Mr.Twinkie
post Apr 7 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #1
Atomican
Overlord

A good solid pair of cans with great comfort and mike would do me.

My Roccat Kave hurt a couple parts of my head and made my eyes feel extra strained after a hour or so of use so perhaps a really BIG AND COMFY set of cans could help.

I hear Plantronics are solid.

--------------------
"Ignorance is a luxury that you cannot afford"

If you know you can do better, you will do better.
And where there's a will, there's a way and you can always find the way....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AMD AKIMBO
post Apr 7 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Primarch

i was looking at plantronics 377 but i ended up getting my steel series siberias at a bargain price, pretty comfy and has a retractable mic, alot better sound than my old cans but i cant compare to others out there.
check out reviews

--------------------
3930k @4.4, 2x120gb agility3's, 1.5tb seagate, 8 seagate 2tb lp's on perc6i raid6, hx 650 psu, gtx 580 sli, 32 gig trident x, asrockxtreme4, h60, acer b273h,
fractal xl, samsung bluray.

+Quote Post
Ezkaton
post Apr 8 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Primarch

I've been using Steelsound (now 'Steelseries' since they decided to start making mice, mousepads, keyboards, etc. as well) 5Hv2 ever since they were labelled 'the best' in Atomic mag quite a number of years ago now.
Only issue I've had with them, my first pair's cable shit itself after like three years... so I just got another pair.

Good for games, clear mic, etc.
Not good for music.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-5hv2

--------------------
http://steamcommunity.com/id/supervillainoutcast
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/SupervillainX/
PSN ID: SupervillainX

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Apr 9 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #4
Hero
Guru

Still using my steelsound 5H V2 for gaming they are VERY comfortable not great for music but as I live alone now I can use my speakers for that. ;)

I would be looking at their 7H series now. Steelseries 61050 7H Gaming Headset Internet Price: $122.00 $22.00 more than you wanted to pay but I am sure you will not be sorry. :)

This post has been edited by bowiee: Apr 9 2012, 12:00 PM

+Quote Post
twents
post Apr 9 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #5
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (bowiee @ Apr 9 2012, 12:59 PM) *
I would be looking at their 7H series now. Steelseries 61050 7H Gaming Headset Internet Price: $122.00 $22.00 more than you wanted to pay but I am sure you will not be sorry. :)

Are they just stereo phones?

--------------------
BF3 name: FREEZINBONES
Battletag (WoW D3): FREEZIN#1668
Steam: FREEZINBONES

2500k @ 4.6, 7970 @ 1150/1650, HX750, P8p67 pro, Sandisk/Patriot SSD/Ram, Xonar DG
N40L, z2300's, desklamp, mousepad, old shit desk.

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Apr 9 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #6
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (twents @ Apr 9 2012, 12:50 PM) *
QUOTE (bowiee @ Apr 9 2012, 12:59 PM) *

Are they just stereo phones?

Yep. if you are after 7.1 channel headphones you could go with the Razer Megalodon 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound Gaming
Our Price: $175.00

This post has been edited by bowiee: Apr 9 2012, 01:45 PM

+Quote Post
Mr.Twinkie
post Apr 15 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #7
Atomican
Overlord

All very interesting choices that I will look into.

Cheers guys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ReapermanRS
post Apr 15 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #8
Atomican
Overlord

I have a pair of these Plantronics Gamecon 777 Surround Sound 7.1 Gaming Headset USB and also a pair of 377's that are both fairly good if you want an integrated mic. I noticed the other day PCCG has a new range of Plantronics headphones and got rid of the 377 and 767. The Razer Carcharias or Megalodon are pretty good if you're looking at spending a bit more and I always hear good things about Sennheiser, but obviously none of these are audiophile grade gear.

--------------------
08/11/2012 the day the music died.

+Quote Post
fajw
post Apr 15 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #9
Atomican
Useless waste of 0s and 1s

I read that there's no advantage to 'surround sound' headphones vs normal stereo headphones.

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Apr 16 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #10
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (fajw @ Apr 15 2012, 11:33 AM) *
I read that there's no advantage to 'surround sound' headphones vs normal stereo headphones.

In gaming there is an advantage, at least my son who like me plays TF2 says he can detect the direction foot steps and firing are coming from much better (more accurately) than with his former stereo plantronics 377. Oh and I assume if you were watching blu-ray on your computer 7.1 would be very sweet indeed. :)

+Quote Post
fajw
post Apr 18 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Useless waste of 0s and 1s

Was he using 'virtual surround' with his previous stereo headphones?

+Quote Post
Mr.Twinkie
post Apr 19 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Overlord

Could the closed in technology on my headset be a reason of discomfort blocking my blood flow on my head of something.

Cause I just had a 1 hour session on that Roccat last night and my whole left ear felt red and hot as hell with a horrible feeling of internet blurry pain within the ear.

Truly horrible sensation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NukeJockey
post Apr 20 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #13
Hero
Titan

QUOTE (Mr.Twinkie @ Apr 7 2012, 01:56 PM) *
A good solid pair of cans with great comfort and mike would do me.

My Roccat Kave hurt a couple parts of my head and made my eyes feel extra strained after a hour or so of use so perhaps a really BIG AND COMFY set of cans could help.

I hear Plantronics are solid.

I have the same issue with my Kaves, but then I realised I wasn't sitting them on my head properly, when all 3 pads rest on your skull properly they're far more comfy.

--------------------
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Apr 20 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #14
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (Mr.Twinkie @ Apr 19 2012, 04:09 PM) *
Could the closed in technology on my headset be a reason of discomfort blocking my blood flow on my head of something.

Cause I just had a 1 hour session on that Roccat last night and my whole left ear felt red and hot as hell with a horrible feeling of internet blurry pain within the ear.

Truly horrible sensation.

I have to say my steelsounds are very comfortable and no sensation of head or ear squeezing, I can wear them for hours with no problems at all. My son reports he has the same sort of comfort with his Razer Megalodon. :)

QUOTE (fajw @ Apr 18 2012, 06:37 PM) *
Was he using 'virtual surround' with his previous stereo headphones?

I asked, he said he tried it but decided it did not seem to help, but he says with the Megalodon there is a marked difference.

This post has been edited by bowiee: Apr 20 2012, 12:12 PM

+Quote Post
NukeJockey
post Apr 20 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #15
Hero
Titan

QUOTE (fajw @ Apr 15 2012, 11:33 AM) *

Yeah I tend to agree with this.

I had a set of logitech stereo gaming headphones that plugged into a usb dongle via a 3.5mm jack, I could just as easily hear the direction of things with them, however surround sounds are much louder with a real 5.1/7.1 set vs a stereo set with virtual surround.

--------------------
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

+Quote Post
SceptreCore
post Apr 20 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #16
Atomican
Guru

My mate bought a pair of CODMW3 by Turtle Beach head phones from Dick Smith's. Oh... My... God...

They were of course $350 down to $100. But they are sex. You can bluetooth your phone to it so you can take calls and still game. And it automatically adjusts the sound when taking calls. They are such brilliantly awesome headphones. Very clever, brilliant sound. Crystal clear mic.

Of course that sale is weeks gone now. But just thought I'd mentions these as an aside as they are the best I've used. From a brand I've never heard of.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/call-o...y-headsets.aspx

--------------------
Quote by nukejockey: You're so awesome man.

RIG: Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FX GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz | Radeon HD4870 @ 790/1050MHz | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 11:41 AM