Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Some tablet advice needed, So many tabs, but which to buy?
magnusson
post Apr 9 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #1
Quark
Learner

So i was in a local electronics/appliance store today trying to find Starwars: The Old Republic, when out of the corner of my eye i spotted a table displaying a bunch of tablets. Of course i knew what they were and all, but i was fascinated anyway as i had never used one and wanted to try one out. Anyway they had a few tablets there, but one in particular caught my eye. I found out it was the samsung galaxy 10.1 tab. The little accompanying card with its specs said that it had 1gb of ram (not sure of the frequency or anything), 16 Gb of internal memory, a 1 GHZ NVidia tegra cpu and a 10.1 inch display. It used the new Honeycomb android os (not sure if it was 3.1 or 3.2) and to be honest it looked pretty cool. Of course i picked it up. not realizing that it was attached to a security thing and set off the store alarm, so i quickly dashed off and sped away. But to cut to the chase, i was wondering if it is worth buying one of these. It was $599 nz for a 16 GB WiFi only unit. I dont want too much out of it, web browsing, apps, videos, email ect. When i got home i read some reviews and found that there was a few problems with oil slicks on the screen but i was wondering if this was just faulty units. Does anyone know of any better tabs, and please dont say "Duh, an Ipad!." Any advice greatly appreciated.

--------------------
AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PointZeroOne
post Apr 9 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Mafia Scum

The tab 10.1 is getting a bit old now I believe. It's definitely worth getting one if you like to consume content away from the PC.

I've got a Galaxy Tab 7.7 and it's great.

+Quote Post
ninjacatfish
post Apr 16 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Charge

Not gonna say 'duh an iPad' but I do think they're the best option among the current crop. $499 for a 16GB WiFi model is great, especially when you consider it has as good/better internals than most competing tablets, and a 2048x1536 display.

Not to say other tablets are bad, I just find the iPad gives you the best tablet for the money.

--------------------
PC: Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM | 2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in SLI | MSI P67A-GD65 | 120GB Intel 520 SSD+3TB of HDDs | Silverstone Fortress FT-02 | Dell U2711 + Dell U2311H

15-inch MacBook Pro late-2008: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 320GB HDD | GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

+Quote Post
deedee
post Apr 17 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #4
Atomican
Journeyman

I can't decide whether to get an ipad or not. I have an iphone and laptop already.
Isn't that enough?

--------------------
The best things in life are free.

+Quote Post
harhis23
post Apr 17 2012, 08:09 AM
Post #5
Atomican
Charge

QUOTE (PointZeroOne @ Apr 9 2012, 10:42 PM) *
The tab 10.1 is getting a bit old now I believe. It's definitely worth getting one if you like to consume content away from the PC.

I agree. With new devices coming along the way, I would say the same thing: the first generation Galaxy Tabs are a bit old now. But the question of whether it is still worth buying, I would say yes. These devices are still very powerful. With 1 GHz nVidia processor and 1 GB RAM, it still belongs to the line of medium- to high-end devices. if you are really buying one, wait until Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 series are out in the market because the prices would surely go down considerably.

+Quote Post
ninjacatfish
post Apr 17 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Charge

QUOTE (deedee @ Apr 16 2012, 10:12 PM) *
I can't decide whether to get an ipad or not. I have an iphone and laptop already.
Isn't that enough?

I don't think that the iPad, or tablets in general, is something that anyone *needs* (except maybe some work reasons). It's one of those luxury purchases that you buy, and you discover things it can do. A lot of it is things you could do before on your phone/laptop, but the tablet form factor helps the experience.
I know I can read comics on my PC, laptop and iPhone, but my iPad is much more suited to that application. Hell, reading in general I find more enjoyable on the iPad over a full fledged PC because it's often nicer formatted, and the retina display on the new iPad just makes text so very much more pleasant to read compared to any other display I own.

So yeah, you don't need an iPad/tablet, but you might like one.

--------------------
PC: Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM | 2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk in SLI | MSI P67A-GD65 | 120GB Intel 520 SSD+3TB of HDDs | Silverstone Fortress FT-02 | Dell U2711 + Dell U2311H

15-inch MacBook Pro late-2008: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM | 320GB HDD | GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT

+Quote Post
PointZeroOne
post Apr 17 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #7
Atomican
Mafia Scum

QUOTE (harhis23 @ Apr 17 2012, 08:09 AM) *
QUOTE (PointZeroOne @ Apr 9 2012, 10:42 PM) *

I agree. With new devices coming along the way, I would say the same thing: the first generation Galaxy Tabs are a bit old now. But the question of whether it is still worth buying, I would say yes. These devices are still very powerful. With 1 GHz nVidia processor and 1 GB RAM, it still belongs to the line of medium- to high-end devices. if you are really buying one, wait until Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 series are out in the market because the prices would surely go down considerably.

Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch is less powerful than the Tab 7.7 that I have.

+Quote Post
Hlass
post Apr 23 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #8
Hero
Guru

iPad is all you need at present. I am no apple fan, I wouldn't be seen dead with on e of their desk- or laptops but, unfortunately, the iPad is the best tablet thus far. It's a bit like why I don't use a Apple computer, all the cool stuff is released for PCs only. In tablets it's the other way around.

--------------------
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come down to cut up what remains
Roll on your rifle, blow out your brains
And go to your God like a soldier.

+Quote Post
TazFromOz
post Apr 23 2012, 11:54 AM
Post #9
Atomican
Guru

The reason that the iPad can do high quality for such a low price is that they are subsidised by the apple store. Android tablet makers, on the other hand, don't get any of the money from Google Play (previously Android Market), and so they need to charge more. This will, sadly, give apple the advantage over android in the portable market. :(

This post has been edited by TazFromOz: Apr 23 2012, 11:56 AM

--------------------
Free Games for intelligent readers / gamers / puzzle hounds.
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=33970

+Quote Post
Mademan
post Apr 25 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Primarch

I love my Transformer Prime, it's the most responsive of all the Android tablets I've tried out, equal to the iPad. The only issue is the crippled WiFi and GPS - the Wifi will work absolutely fine for tethering, or around a single story home with a wifi network. But when I take it to uni, where the connection points are often hidden away elsewhere in the building, and I get no wifi reception at all, even if my phone shows full wifi reception. Word processing suites on Android, and laughably even the Google Docs application, are crippled on Android as well - things like font selection are either non-existent, or if you pay $20 for Quick Office HD, you get a choice of three - and no prizes for guessing which three they are. It's a minor issue, but it does rear its head, and it's an issue the iPad doesn't have.

+Quote Post
justo316
post Apr 26 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Overlord

I just sold my asustf101 today. Highly regretful sale but I needed the money. I've setup plenty of Ipads for clients and there's no way I'd use one.

Give me android and its homescreen widgets any day.

I'll be getting a Prime when cash flow improves. They're easily the sexiest tablet around ;)

--------------------
www.316computers.com.au

+Quote Post
SquallStrife
post Apr 27 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Titan

QUOTE (magnusson @ Apr 9 2012, 07:17 PM) *
It used the new Honeycomb android os (not sure if it was 3.1 or 3.2)

As per the above replies, Honeycomb is old.

Now that ICS is out, I wouldn't bother with a 1.x/2.x phone, or a 3.x tablet.

This post has been edited by SquallStrife: Apr 27 2012, 05:18 PM

--------------------
KEN SENT ME

[retro swim] | http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroSwim

+Quote Post
AIMBOT
post Apr 28 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #13
Atomican
Champion

QUOTE (TazFromOz @ Apr 23 2012, 11:54 AM) *
The reason that the iPad can do high quality for such a low price is that they are subsidised by the apple store. Android tablet makers, on the other hand, don't get any of the money from Google Play (previously Android Market), and so they need to charge more. This will, sadly, give apple the advantage over android in the portable market. :(

Nope. They make a ~51% profit margin on the 16GB LTE iPad. The difference isn't subsidies. There are very big philosophical differences to design and manufacturing that make Apple devices better.

I had a Motorola Xoom, and there are a number of reasons that sucked. Unfriendly OS, rubbish manufacturer support, poor quality apps and hardware quality. They're not small things a user should have to overlook, but are common amongst Android devices.

--------------------
Too long didn't read.

+Quote Post
justo316
post Apr 28 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #14
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (AIMBOT @ Apr 28 2012, 11:58 AM) *
QUOTE (TazFromOz @ Apr 23 2012, 11:54 AM) *

Nope. They make a ~51% profit margin on the 16GB LTE iPad. The difference isn't subsidies. There are very big philosophical differences to design and manufacturing that make Apple devices better.

I had a Motorola Xoom, and there are a number of reasons that sucked. Unfriendly OS, rubbish manufacturer support, poor quality apps and hardware quality. They're not small things a user should have to overlook, but are common amongst Android devices.

Taz huh? Ipads are generally more expensive than android tablets....

And aimbot, that's android...some people say its unfriendly, others say more powerful ;) each to their own though. But if you want to talk about rubbish manufacturer support, surely you can't look past steve jobs denying any issue with reception on the iPhone 4? His response....hold it differently, or put an ugly bulky cover on it ( not that there's a problem) What a joke.

--------------------
www.316computers.com.au

+Quote Post
AIMBOT
post Apr 28 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #15
Atomican
Champion

QUOTE (justo316 @ Apr 28 2012, 03:14 PM) *
And aimbot, that's android...some people say its unfriendly, others say more powerful ;) each to their own though. But if you want to talk about rubbish manufacturer support, surely you can't look past steve jobs denying any issue with reception on the iPhone 4? His response....hold it differently, or put an ugly bulky cover on it ( not that there's a problem) What a joke.

Some claim it's "more powerful" too. Those claims aren't relevant when in real world usage scenarios it falls over trying to do basic tasks.

And Jobs' remarks about the call quality issues some people had with an iPhone 4 don't reflect Apple's level of support at all. You'd have to be deficient to think that.

--------------------
Too long didn't read.

+Quote Post
800_series
post May 2 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #16
Atomican
✰ Star Mafia Player

I won a Motorola Xoom 2, had it for a couple of days now, I'm really enjoying it.

--------------------
Brought to you by the Minister for Cyborgs and Violent Cyborg Military Forces.

Quote by hectorbustnuts
Everything you post makes me "ROFL".

Usually caused by concussing myself after a few minutes of smashing head against the desk.

+Quote Post
moist
post May 2 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #17
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (magnusson @ Apr 9 2012, 07:17 PM) *
Does anyone know of any better tabs, and please dont say "Duh, an Ipad!." Any advice greatly appreciated.

You already know the answer. To date, I've not found a 'droid tablet better than any iPad. More versatile, better connectivity, sure. But still, even with those points, not as good.

--------------------
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 04:50 PM