Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pie-in-your-ear still the shiz?, Optical drive goodness
Zzozzach
post May 2 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #1
Atomican
Overlord

I've had an enquiry from a colleague about what's a good DVD drive to install into her computer. Pioneer has traditionally been the best of the lot, and the DVR219L can be procured for $23. Is this still the best one on the market?

Another one to consider would be the LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X Black (no model number for this one) which is available for a dollar less. I recall hearing good things as well about LiteON in the past.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz.
Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/
I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xen
post May 2 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (Zzozzach @ May 2 2012, 11:08 AM) *
I've had an enquiry from a colleague about what's a good DVD drive to install into her computer. Pioneer has traditionally been the best of the lot, and the DVR219L can be procured for $23. Is this still the best one on the market?

Another one to consider would be the LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X Black (no model number for this one) which is available for a dollar less. I recall hearing good things as well about LiteON in the past.

LiteON used to be the beezneez, Still pretty good from what i hear.

Pretty much now given that the drives aren't really improving in quality or speed (Different formats withstanding).

IMO just go the LiteON.

--------------------
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生
如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗
如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

+Quote Post
bushi
post May 2 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Guru

Liteon over Pioneer?

Really?

I thought Liteon was down there with Samsung drives.

--------------------
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/detail5/pc/squatter.png

i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

+Quote Post
unco_tomato
post May 2 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #4
God
Primarch

Why does it matter? It will be used once or twice in the next decade.

--------------------
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

+Quote Post
Xen
post May 2 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #5
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (bushi @ May 2 2012, 03:25 PM) *
Liteon over Pioneer?

Really?

I thought Liteon was down there with Samsung drives.

I Always found that the Liteon drives out performed and outlived any of the Pioneer or Sony drives i ever bought, back then being an assload cheaper was a good bonus too.

--------------------
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生
如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗
如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

+Quote Post
bushi
post May 2 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Guru

It matters because their the same price.

If it doesn't matter, lock the thread.

--------------------

i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

+Quote Post
unco_tomato
post May 2 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #7
God
Primarch

My point was it's like comparing Floppy drives. It's cheap legacy technology, made largely by one or two OEM companies with different stickers.

Just my view on it anyway :P

--------------------
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

+Quote Post
twents
post May 2 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #8
Atomican
Master

do people still use those thin round things in their computers?

--------------------
BF3 name: FREEZINBONES
Battletag (WoW D3): FREEZIN#1668
Steam: FREEZINBONES

2500k @ 4.6, 7970 @ 1150/1650, HX750, P8p67 pro, Sandisk/Patriot SSD/Ram, Xonar DG
N40L, z2300's, desklamp, mousepad, old shit desk.

+Quote Post
aliali
post May 3 2012, 08:55 AM
Post #9
Super Hero
Titan

For burning the Sony Optiarc and only that model from Sony, is supposedly the best DVD burner around. Pioneer went to the same cheapy chipset as Samsung et al which is not as good as the Optiarc one apparently.
However for a BD burner the Pioneer BDR-206 is the one to get according to the Speedlab boyz.
QUOTE (twents @ May 2 2012, 06:09 PM) *
do people still use those thin round things in their computers?

Yes because I am not going to give someone one of my flash drives to take a couple of files home. I would never get it back, or be chasing it for weeks.

--------------------
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

+Quote Post
Zzozzach
post May 3 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Overlord

Thanks aliali, that's the sort of advice I was looking for. If my research is correct then the Optiarc will be this one at Umart for only $19.

The person I'm researching it for will be using it quite heavily to burn photos to disc. I discussed with her about going to Blu-Ray instead so she could take advantage of the greater capacity, but she's concerned about the compatibility. At this point, DVD is far more ubiquitous than BD, and will play in more devices.

I'm also going to suggest to her to stick with Taiyo-Yuden media. Unless I'm mistaken, there's still nothing to compare to it for reliability.

--------------------
Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/
I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

+Quote Post
aliali
post May 3 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #11
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (Zzozzach @ May 3 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Thanks aliali, that's the sort of advice I was looking for. If my research is correct then the Optiarc will be this one at Umart for only $19.

The person I'm researching it for will be using it quite heavily to burn photos to disc. I discussed with her about going to Blu-Ray instead so she could take advantage of the greater capacity, but she's concerned about the compatibility. At this point, DVD is far more ubiquitous than BD, and will play in more devices.

I'm also going to suggest to her to stick with Taiyo-Yuden media. Unless I'm mistaken, there's still nothing to compare to it for reliability.

Umart links generally don't work and this one doesn't., so I assume you mean the Sony AD7280SGB?
I assume it is an Optiarc chipset but can't confirm it.

--------------------
She's going to be really smart, very savvy, haunting good looks, really good at her job. And kind of slutty.

+Quote Post
nobody813
post May 3 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Champion

I use disks all the time :-P

I prefer Pioneer drives, but not now if the above is true :-/

This post has been edited by nobody813: May 3 2012, 10:08 PM

--------------------
"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 2500K | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB's | Cogage Arrow | 120GB Intel 520 | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

+Quote Post
aliali
post May 3 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #13
Super Hero
Titan

QUOTE (nobody813 @ May 3 2012, 10:01 PM) *

The difference between drives is not all that great IMO, so for the vast majority of people any brand will suffice, it's just that the Optiarc apparently has slightly better write strategies on place that does a better burn. At least according to the mob at Speedlabs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ReapermanRS
post May 4 2012, 05:15 AM
Post #14
Atomican
Overlord

Me too but I have a BDR-206 so apparently it's all good :)

--------------------
08/11/2012 the day the music died.

+Quote Post
bushi
post May 4 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #15
Atomican
Guru

QUOTE (ReapermanRS @ May 4 2012, 05:15 AM) *

Me too but I have a BDR-206 so apparently it's all good :)

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zzozzach
post May 8 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #16
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (aliali @ May 3 2012, 09:15 PM) *
QUOTE (Zzozzach @ May 3 2012, 07:24 PM) *

Umart links generally don't work and this one doesn't., so I assume you mean the Sony AD7280SGB?
I assume it is an Optiarc chipset but can't confirm it.

Yes, that's the one. (I didn't realise the Umart link didn't have the full URL. Here it is again, and it should work this time.)

I've done some searching and it looks like the AD-7280S is definitely an Optiarc product. However, note that this one is missing the 'GB' on the end of the model number, and I know that sometimes it can be significant. I'm unable to find the former, all stockists in Australia seem to only have the latter one. So, I'll take a stab and get that model. It can't be any worse than either Pioneer or LiteOn, and there's certainly nothing in it price-wise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zebra
post May 8 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #17
Super Hero
Contributor

Hi.

All a matter of perspective and if you care about write quality. It's generally widely considered that the Pioneer BD technology is a little more advanced than LiteOn IT's. Not so much the case these days with DVD drives - but eh, who the hell wants a DVD burner in this day and age? BD or it's not worth it, imho ;).

z

--------------------
Run, Rabbit run,
Dig that hole,
Forget the sun...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 09:40 PM