Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Win7 networking puzzlement, Multiple connection weirdness
Cybes
post May 7 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #1
Atomican
Mafia Winner

I have a wifi router at one end of the house, and a laptop at the other end. I have BitMeter running constantly in one corner of the screen, and seeing how the speed jumps around during the day is bizarre - anyone using the microwave oven in the next room almost kills it, for instance. Normally, the wifi gives me a maximum of about 4mb/s, which is nowhere near what I can get via cable, but that's impractical, so I live with it.

Anyway... Seeing my 'phone plan has a pile of bandwidth every month I don't often use, and tethering is easy, I thought I'd hook it up for backup when the wifi was out (or shit). One micro USB cable and a driver download later... Suddenly, I'm getting close to 8mb/s! Woot!

Wait a moment... My phone's data usage meter is not increasing, despite a 2GB download zipping through. Hmm. No, the wifi connection there is not enabled either, so it's not sucking it from there.

On reading around the 'net just quickly, it doesn't even look like I can use two data sources at once. Even when multiple connections exist (according to one site I read), it's only using one at a time.

Scratching my head, I unplug the USB cable, and the DL drops back to its customary 4mb speed. Now I'm convinced the site was talking bullshit (probably some previous iteration of Windows), and the extra had to be coming from the phone's data allowance. Check the meter again - nope.

WTF is going on? Does Windows throttle things based on the number of connections it has? Is my phone meter not registering things properly? Have I invented magic?

--------------------
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea..." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [Quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]

"Reality doesn't care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman, about unintuitive physics.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NukeJockey
post May 7 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #2
Hero
Titan

I think you invented magic.

--------------------
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

+Quote Post
PointZeroOne
post May 7 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Mafia Scum

Have you tried disabling the wifi and just using your phone to see what speeds you get?

+Quote Post
Cybes
post May 7 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #4
Atomican
Mafia Winner

QUOTE (PointZeroOne @ May 7 2012, 02:11 PM) *
Have you tried disabling the wifi and just using your phone to see what speeds you get?

At this point, no. Shoulda done that. Just a sec... (fiddlefiddle) ...looks like just under 1mb/s atm. Speed's all over the place, but that's the 10 minute average.

Edit: BTW, used a 19MB file to obtain that speed reading. That one is reflected in the phone's usage.

This post has been edited by Cybes: May 7 2012, 04:19 PM

--------------------
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea..." - Antoine de Saint Exupery [Quoted by Niel DeGrasse Tyson, about space travel]

"Reality doesn't care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman, about unintuitive physics.

+Quote Post
TinBane
post May 7 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #5
Mod
Super Hero

Special windows magic?

I have no idea. Seems screwjiggy to me!

--------------------
Romans 10:3

absit iniuria verbis

+Quote Post
Khirareq
post May 8 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #6
Hero
Titan

Are you downloading Torrents or using some other download manager? I'm guessing it's the Network Load Balancing

http://www.ambot-ah.com/combine-2-internet...-balancing-nlb/

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

+Quote Post
Cybes
post May 8 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #7
Atomican
Mafia Winner

QUOTE (Khirareq @ May 8 2012, 07:38 AM) *
Are you downloading Torrents or using some other download manager? I'm guessing it's the Network Load Balancing

http://www.ambot-ah.com/combine-2-internet...-balancing-nlb/

I was downloading a game installer from GOG.com. The only download manager in use was the one built in to Opera, but it probably wouldn't have made any difference if it was the best manager ever since there was only one file involved.

That NLB functionality is something I've read about (during that 'WTF?' session above), but if that were the culprit why would the bandwidth off the 'phone not be metered? As near as I can figure it, I plug the 'phone in and it's entirely ignored - except that the dowload speed takes an enormous jump.

Got me whacked.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Khirareq
post May 8 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #8
Hero
Titan

Yeah, Opera won't do that (Torrents will because they seek out connections to use, and fragment the file so this works)

I'd look at a network monitor tool for your phone (And not just watch the usage meter) - The data may be coming from somewhere besides your service. I'm asking silly questions to eliminate stuff as well sorry - When the phone is acting as the connection, it's not piggy-backing off your neighbours wireless or something maybe? But would help narrow down just where this awesomesauce is coming from

Other thing is, how long did it sustain 8mb/s? can you repeat it again now another day has passed? Maybe it calculates the speed like how Windows works out how long files are going to copy over a network :P

I'm rolling the idea atm, that when you plug your phone in, windows see's it, and then shifts some other network activity over to that connection, freeing up your main one allowing faster downloads (Buggy QOS or some kind of port monitoring somewhere)

This post has been edited by Khirareq: May 8 2012, 05:15 PM

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

+Quote Post
Cybes
post May 8 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #9
Atomican
Mafia Winner

QUOTE (Khirareq @ May 8 2012, 04:45 PM) *
I'd look at a network monitor tool for your phone (And not just watch the usage meter)

When the phone is acting as the connection, it's not piggy-backing off your neighbours wireless or something maybe?

Other thing is, how long did it sustain 8mb/s? can you repeat it again now another day has passed? Maybe it calculates the speed like how Windows works out how long files are going to copy over a network :P

Any suggestions for a monitor? I had a quick look around for one when this first happened, but didn't find anything that would fit the bill.

Negative - the phone's wifi was disabled at the time. Also, there are no open networks in the area (I've looked for them).

I don't recall how long it remained at that speed, but it was long enough to pull 1GB of the 2GB file down. I then took the phone out of the equation, partly from curiosity as to what the speed would do, but also because if that usage was going on the phone I didn't want to blow my cap and get charged a million zorkmids. The second half of the file took about twice as long as the first half.

--------------------

+Quote Post
codecreeper
post May 8 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Overlord

No chance someone else close by could be using WIFI too with a unsecured connection? You could be leeching a connection from somewhere else.

--------------------
You only live life once so get off that computer and enjoy it.

+Quote Post
Cybes
post May 9 2012, 06:29 AM
Post #11
Atomican
Mafia Winner

QUOTE (codecreeper @ May 8 2012, 10:09 PM) *
No chance someone else close by could be using WIFI too with a unsecured connection? You could be leeching a connection from somewhere else.

/looks upthread...

No.

Not unless my phone can see an unsecured network which is not broadcasting an SSID that my laptop can't, and that it also chooses not to display on its 'available networks' list, anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cybes
post May 14 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #12
Atomican
Mafia Winner

Well, it's still happening.

New development, though: The power went out while I was doing my thing the other day, so the ADSL router disappeared from the equation for a while, and left the 'phone to handle the whole thing. Speeds dropped precipitously - to less than half of the combined speed of that morning, and the data being used for that period was marked up to the 'phone account.

When the power came back on a few minutes later (and handshaking finished), speeds zoomed back up to the previous high, and data stopped being marked up to the 'phone account.

<-- Mystified.

Can anyone else replicate these results? Even if we can't identify the culprit, at least we'd have a place to start.

If it matters:
The 'phone is a Samsung Galaxay s-II, running stock ICS (Vodaphone pushed it out recently). Router is a Zyxel 660H (c 2005).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 01:25 AM