Post #1
Quark
Initiate

http://whrl.pl/Rda2kj
herring | anchor
Reply to this | Edit my post
posted moments ago
O.P.

Hey guys and girls. I am looking to build a new gaming rig. Though I am having trouble finding a good mobo and having a hard time decide on what graphics card I want.

I will be using the follow

Ram 8GB sniper ram
PSU 650 Coolermaster Extreme
Case VX-R Coolermaster
GPU Raedeon 7870 OC version
CPU Intel i5 2500k
Mobo Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Motherboard I have been looking at this though I don't know if I should go with it or not. A little light would be good.

Also I wouldn't mind help on a graphics card to buy. If 7870 is a bit overkill for this rig then let me know and see what your opinion is. Though I will be playing lots of games like BF3, D3, WoW, CoD MW3, plus more

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cohmoddersolo
post May 7 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (dejong90 @ May 7 2012, 04:58 PM) *
herring | anchor
posted moments ago
O.P.

Hey guys and girls. I am looking to build a new gaming rig. Though I am having trouble finding a good mobo and having a hard time decide on what graphics card I want.

Ram 8GB sniper ram
Case VX-R Coolermaster
CPU Intel i5 2500k
Mobo Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Motherboard I have been looking at this though I don't know if I should go with it or not. A little light would be good.

Also I wouldn't mind help on a graphics card to buy. If 7870 is a bit overkill for this rig then let me know and see what your opinion is. Though I will be playing lots of games like BF3, D3, WoW, CoD MW3, plus more

Thank you!

Its a good build, but can be better. You should go for an i5 3570K. Its the i5 2500K predecessor but its a few dollars more. Motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H or an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is more than enough for what you need. PSU, the Antec High Current Gamer 520W is better than that CoolerMaster, more efficient and is guaranteed to put out the power that it says.

--------------------
Big Disco

4770K, Asus Gryphon, G.skill 2x4GB F3-2133C11-4GAO, Evga GTX680 SC, 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Seasonic gold 550w

+Quote Post
osama_bin_athlon
post May 7 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #3
Hero
Titan

the Sniper is a tasty little board - has Creative Recon3D sound onboard, a groovy new BIOS to play with.............I could've sold you one last week.......you can always buy a soundcard, tho' it is worth considering, as the Recon3D will cost you $120 odd.........it's rather lacking in SATA ports, which is the reason that I'm not using it
the Asrock boards are great value for money, the Extreme4 is definitely all you need
and yes, don't get a 2500K now, go the 3570K - same price, later model

--------------------
Quote by lunchbox1988
No, but the way he eases me onto his chimp-meat, makes me think he is prince charming.

i7 2600K @ 4.4G/Corsair H100/Asrock Z68 Ext4 Gen3/16G 2133Mhz RipjawsX/2x GTX560 Direct CU SLI/2x Corsair 120G Force3 (RAID_0)/8TB Storage (2x RAID_0 arrays)/1x 320G WD Black - Backup/SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro/Corsair HX1000/LiteOn BD-RW/CM HAF 932 Adv/Win7 Ult. x64/27" AOC e2795Vh

+Quote Post
czerney
post May 8 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #4
Atomican
Overlord

I've got a similar build but I would go a 3570K as others have suggested and a z77 mobo now.
I play BF3 / SC2 on 1920x1200 res with the GB HD7970 Overclocked version which is (around $570) with everything maxed out and it doesn't skip a beat.
Dunno if you're getting SSD but STRONGLY advise you invest in one.

--------------------
PC: 2500K | Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3 | Intel 520 120Gb SSD | 2 x 4Gb HyperX | GB HD7970 OC | Corsair 650D | HX620W PSU | OCZ 60Gb SSD | 2 x 1Tb WDCav blk's | 1 x WD Grn
Other: Dell 2408WFP
Games: 1. SC2 | 2. BF3
Certs: MCP | Vmware VCP3 on 3.5 & VCP4 on vSphere | Prince2 Proj Mgmt Practitioner | ITIL

+Quote Post
unco_tomato
post May 8 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #5
God
Primarch

What you built (price from PCCG):
CPU: i5 2500K - $225
CPU Cooler: Stock - Free
Case: Aerocool VX-R - $109
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (1600MHz?) - $65
GPU: Radeon 7870 GHz Edition - $359
Mobo: G.1 Sniper M3 - $215
PSU: CoolerMaster 650W eXtreme - $79
Total: $1052

What I would build (price from PCCG):
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K - $249
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler - $39
Case: Sharkoon T28 Red Case USB 3.0 - $69 (in whatever colour you want)
RAM: Corsair XMS 3 1600MHz C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $59
GPU: Gigabyte 7870 Overclocked edition (1.1GHz) - $379
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H - $109
PSU: Silverstone Strider 500W - $65
Total: $969

You get a CPU cooler so you can overclock slightly, lower profile RAM with a higher level of BIOS support, a slightly faster GPU, a better PSU efficiency and warranty, a slightly faster CPU and around $80 in savings. Seems like a winner to me. What HDD do you plan on using?

--------------------
Intel i5 3570 @ 4.5GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 @ 1150MHz - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1866MHz - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Antec EA-650W Platinum - Fractal Design Define Mini - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - 10TB Network Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3).

+Quote Post
antiapple
post May 8 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #6
Quark
Learner

QUOTE (dejong90 @ May 7 2012, 04:58 PM) *
herring | anchor
posted moments ago
O.P.

Ram 8GB sniper ram
Case VX-R Coolermaster
CPU Intel i5 2500k

Thank you!

whats your budget mate as i can see a much better system hapening for the average price of these parts

+Quote Post
dejong90
post May 9 2012, 09:03 AM
Post #7
Quark
Initiate

So I have already bought the power supply, ram and case. My old computer just died on me. It was going to happen eventually though it has happened. I am not sure on what HDD I am going to use at this point in time. I currently have $726 exactly to spend on the rest of the parts for my computer.

I have been looking at the Gigabyte 7870 OC version since I decided to build a new rig. I just really want something that will last and will run effiecent at LANs and Online gameplay. I am also a World of Warcraft player as well. I know this game isn't very demanding though I hope what I will be buying will run this full settings as well as any other game I throw at it. I am a massive gamer and looking forward to Diablo 3 when it comes out.

I have been looking at this board http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19867 though it's on preorder at the moment. I kind of want to purchase everything tomorrow that I already don't have. I will be using my current Hard Drive out of my old computer for the time being as I know that it still works until I can afford to get a new one. It will hold out for me so I can re-do my school work and get it onto a USB drive. I don't mind re-installing windows a couple of times. Also I was suggested to get this board from a local retailer http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19922 though he wanted $248 for his and I can get it much cheaper online, which is understandable.

I am sorry for the late reply as that I have not been able to get online for a little while.

Edit: If I was to go a little bit cheaper on my graphics card. What would you all suggest? I was thinking about getting this card http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19772 it just saves me a few dollars. I still have to pay for postage on top of it as well.

This post has been edited by dejong90: May 9 2012, 11:18 AM

+Quote Post
cohmoddersolo
post May 9 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #8
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (dejong90 @ May 9 2012, 10:03 AM) *
So I have already bought the power supply, ram and case. My old computer just died on me. It was going to happen eventually though it has happened. I am not sure on what HDD I am going to use at this point in time. I currently have $726 exactly to spend on the rest of the parts for my computer.

I have been looking at the Gigabyte 7870 OC version since I decided to build a new rig. I just really want something that will last and will run effiecent at LANs and Online gameplay. I am also a World of Warcraft player as well. I know this game isn't very demanding though I hope what I will be buying will run this full settings as well as any other game I throw at it. I am a massive gamer and looking forward to Diablo 3 when it comes out.

I have been looking at this board http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19867 though it's on preorder at the moment. I kind of want to purchase everything tomorrow that I already don't have. I will be using my current Hard Drive out of my old computer for the time being as I know that it still works until I can afford to get a new one. It will hold out for me so I can re-do my school work and get it onto a USB drive. I don't mind re-installing windows a couple of times. Also I was suggested to get this board from a local retailer http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19922 though he wanted $248 for his and I can get it much cheaper online, which is understandable.

I am sorry for the late reply as that I have not been able to get online for a little while.

Edit: If I was to go a little bit cheaper on my graphics card. What would you all suggest? I was thinking about getting this card http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=19772 it just saves me a few dollars. I still have to pay for postage on top of it as well.

The motherboard you were suggested is ok, but it doesnt support OCing for unlocked CPU's. If you need the ASRock tomorrow, check another company. Staticice.com.au can help you with that. GPU is ok, but Ive read that ASUS DirectCU coolers arent really good. get one from HIS, Sapphire, Gigabyte or MSI.

This post has been edited by cohmoddersolo: May 9 2012, 05:15 PM

--------------------
Big Disco

4770K, Asus Gryphon, G.skill 2x4GB F3-2133C11-4GAO, Evga GTX680 SC, 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Seasonic gold 550w

+Quote Post
dejong90
post May 9 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #9
Quark
Initiate

QUOTE (cohmoddersolo @ May 9 2012, 06:14 PM) *

The motherboard you were suggested is ok, but it doesnt support OCing for unlocked CPU's. If you need the ASRock tomorrow, check another company. Staticice.com.au can help you with that. GPU is ok, but Ive read that ASUS DirectCU coolers arent really good. get one from HIS, Sapphire, Gigabyte or MSI.

I really don't think I will be overclocking. I have never really done much of it as that I am scared that I will ruin my computer. I will just be using it for games and homework and other loose ends that I need it for. Overclocking isn't really apart of my agenda and isn't important to me. I just want something that will run fast and run the games I want to play like Diablo 3, WoW, BF3, MW3, the new ghost recon and any other game I want to and decide to play. Do you think that it will be good enough for just running games, watching movies, homework etc...

+Quote Post
cohmoddersolo
post May 9 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #10
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (dejong90 @ May 9 2012, 06:23 PM) *
QUOTE (cohmoddersolo @ May 9 2012, 06:14 PM) *

I really don't think I will be overclocking. I have never really done much of it as that I am scared that I will ruin my computer. I will just be using it for games and homework and other loose ends that I need it for. Overclocking isn't really apart of my agenda and isn't important to me. I just want something that will run fast and run the games I want to play like Diablo 3, WoW, BF3, MW3, the new ghost recon and any other game I want to and decide to play. Do you think that it will be good enough for just running games, watching movies, homework etc...

You're getting a CPU that is unlocked so you can squeeze more performance out of it without too much danger. Nowadays technology is more advanced than the Core 2 Duo and Quad days. OCing now is more safer. A Z77 doesnt cost much more and will be better off in the future. And yes, this build is more than enough for your needs. Try to not skimp back on the graphics card anymore cause a HD7850 is best bang for buck and the minimum for high-end graphics.

This post has been edited by cohmoddersolo: May 9 2012, 08:32 PM

--------------------
Big Disco

+Quote Post
dejong90
post May 9 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #11
Quark
Initiate

It's just that my budget won't allow me to spend anymore money. My last computer packed it in. I will be upgrading it more, though I just want something that I will be able to use for gaming and school work as well. I just want to be able to play the games I have been wanting to play for quite sometime on high settings instead of running around on low settings all the time. Just not sure if I should get the 7850 or not, lol. Though if I was going to get the 7850 I was going to go for the gigabyte version. Though I really would like a 7870

+Quote Post
cohmoddersolo
post May 10 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (dejong90 @ May 9 2012, 09:05 PM) *
It's just that my budget won't allow me to spend anymore money. My last computer packed it in. I will be upgrading it more, though I just want something that I will be able to use for gaming and school work as well. I just want to be able to play the games I have been wanting to play for quite sometime on high settings instead of running around on low settings all the time. Just not sure if I should get the 7850 or not, lol. Though if I was going to get the 7850 I was going to go for the gigabyte version. Though I really would like a 7870

Do you have any leftover parts from your old PC? Like any RAM or a PSU? Because if you do and its compatible and/or suffices for the new parts you're going to buy, you'd safe $ and can spend it on better things, like the graphics card. But if you dont, then you're pretty much starting from scratch...

--------------------
Big Disco

+Quote Post
dejong90
post May 10 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #13
Quark
Initiate

QUOTE (cohmoddersolo @ May 10 2012, 06:23 PM) *

Do you have any leftover parts from your old PC? Like any RAM or a PSU? Because if you do and its compatible and/or suffices for the new parts you're going to buy, you'd safe $ and can spend it on better things, like the graphics card. But if you dont, then you're pretty much starting from scratch...

I already have ram, power supply, case. I am using my Hard drive from the old computer for a little while as well as the optical drive. The rest are old bits, ddr2 memory, only have 2gb left since the other 2gb died on me the other week.

+Quote Post
cohmoddersolo
post May 10 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #14
Atomican
Master

QUOTE (dejong90 @ May 10 2012, 07:58 PM) *
QUOTE (cohmoddersolo @ May 10 2012, 06:23 PM) *

I already have ram, power supply, case. I am using my Hard drive from the old computer for a little while as well as the optical drive. The rest are old bits, ddr2 memory, only have 2gb left since the other 2gb died on me the other week.

Great, than you only need a new CPU, mobo and GPU. So an i5 3570K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and HD7850 or hd7870 should do you well.

--------------------
Big Disco

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 09:27 PM