3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What was your best year of gaming?, Shamelessly stolen from OCAU
clung3
post May 8 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #1
Atomican
Charge

Yes, stole this from OCAU because I thought a few here would have a few things to say about it :)

Mine personally is 2004.

First off was Far Cry, not really for the game play, more for the tech. I spent hours upon hours mindlessly exploring the first few levels (before mutants came into the equation) and finding different ways to flank the enemy. Took a zillion screen shots from atop mountains etc. as well.

and then... World of Warcraft. Nothing will match the experience I got starting out in that game with the Atomic crew. The feeling you got exploring that game was wondrous. The day/night cycles and lack of load times between zones, completely different scenery between zones, etc. - don't think the feeling will ever be matched again...

1999 was also a big one for me, Quake 3 and UT99 releases, both equal for me, played the shit out of both of them at big local LANs both for fun and competitively. Good times.

So, what was your favourite year to date in gaming, and why?

--------------------
s3x.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nesquick
post May 8 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #2
Atomican
Titan

whatever year Half Life 2 came out nothing else has matched the impact that game had on me so much so that I find myself thinking all the time in games how does this compare to HL2

/end thread

This post has been edited by nesquick: May 8 2012, 03:53 PM

--------------------
STEAM/BC2 name: AllNightmareLong

+Quote Post
Khirareq
post May 8 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #3
Hero
Titan

99-00

Cyrix 686 333, PC100 mainboard, 768meg SDRAM ram, Matrox Mil II 32meg (Had the memory addon), Dual Voodoo 2s in SLi (Had to cut my case to let them fit), and my massive 6 gig hard drives - 2 of them

ActionQuake (Quake 2 mod), Quake 3 + mods, Unreal Tourney + mods

Just moved out of a small country town to a medium sized country town and started lanning - 6 to 8 people crammed into one room bitching about cheaters (Back then, a cheater was someone who looked at your screen instead of theirs - Not the hacks we see these days :P )

This post has been edited by Khirareq: May 8 2012, 05:39 PM

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

+Quote Post
Flouncy
post May 8 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #4
Atomican

Longness warning! Here's my thoughts, as per a column I did for Atomic a year or so ago. Actually, the best year ever was my first, because nothing will ever match the wonderment. But hit-wise, this:

As far as gaming good-times go, 2004 was definitely a bull year. So may say, and I will today, that it was the best year for first person shooters in the last decade. For not only was it a year of particularly strong releases, it also served as a bolster, or crutch if you prefer, that gave us faith that not all was lost in the shrinking world of PC gaming.

It was a year when we dared to hope that things were turning around. Its games were brash and confident, full of promise and with a quite lovely stink of sequelitis. Technical innovation was deep in places, while game speed was divine. We were cranking out the frames on an Athlon, or maybe even a Pentium 4 system if you were a little bit different. The smart kids were greasing out silky frame rate juice through a sexy new Radeon X800, or relying amply on a Radeon 9800 (or Pro) that was looking like being good for at least another decade before needing replacement…

Loserkids, of course, bought a GeForce 5900 or 6800. It wasn’t the best time to be green. Nevertheless, 2004 wasn’t a year when anyone worried that they wouldn’t be getting their money’s worth from their 3D hardware investment.

Let’s start remembering the 04s, though, with a nod to Halo 2. Probably the last great game on the original Xbox, it pushed the hardware to beautiful effect and improved on the first game’s story and game world, as well as building the legend of Master Chief. But amongst all that we looked at it as a testament to the rightness of FPS gaming. It sold more copies than there are atoms in the universe, staking ground in the face of the otherwise relentless trend towards 3rd person 3D games.

There are at least two dozen FPS games of note that were released on PC in 2004. The year started with an almighty look out! Though we loved it at the time, not everyone realised the importance of Unreal Tournament 2004. For most serious players it was all about choosing either Q3:A or UT: 2004. Combining genius and pretty levels with a complete game polish that Q3:A lacked, UT: 2004 taught us better teamwork. It would come to teach of the way of the mod, and it was a hell of a way to kick of the gaming year.

Teamwork we were familiar with, having dedicated lives to Battlefield, so when 2004’s Battlefield: Vietnam arrived soon after UT: 2004 it appealed to practised co-op players who perhaps wanted a world leaning towards the real and horrible, rather than sci-fi silly. They’d proudly point to their Punji sticks and say “has your pink and green-skied alien world got shit sticks?!” No, it doesn’t!”, and think they’d won a little victory.

Co-op gamers were luxuriating in it. This was the year of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, with Counter-Strike: Source coming out near the end of the year to prove that it wasn’t the end of the franchise or engine. Not by a loooong shot. Still, even then we’d have given CS another three or four years before finally disappearing. We were pretty shitty prophets. That’s why it’s safer to look back, than forward, kids.

The rise of co-op and general online gaming was clear to any blind batfish, though. What FPS gaming was really all about was the mighty single player game. Deep, superbly crafted, mesmerising and very replayable. It’s this aspect of 2004 that, to my mind, makes it such an almighty year.

We had Far Cry. Bloody Far Cry! The only FPS game I’ve played through more than five times. It was a mind-blowing, ahead of its time 3D engine with draw distances to the very far horizon, white sandy beaches and lush tropical bush and an open feel of actually being stuck on a bad island, instead of obediently following the next mission or level.

It wasn’t over, though, for dark and claustrophobic tunnels, as Doom 3 had us spinning on the spot in the dark. Dark but a little richer in story was the unexpectedly fantastic The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Also dark, patiently, quietly so, was Thief: Deadly Shadows. Anyone who missed either of these last two owes it to themselves to spend a little retro time with these classics.
It wasn’t all rosy in 2004. Painkiller and Star Wars Battlefront sunk the mood just a little, but never mind, because before the calendar ticked over we’d be playing Half-Life 2 and Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.

Wow. When $800 video cards almost sorta made sense, when overclocking was more necessity than sport, we had mighty game bounty that a good beast would eat. It was truly a golden time, best not lamented for times changed, but treasured, even relived.

--------------------
bringing wootie back

+Quote Post
Nich...
post May 8 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #5
Mod
♥ Mafia Scum

This is a pretty hard one.

I guess I'll have to go with 1993: Dune2 and Syndicate1 and The Settlers1. I don't think I got into Colonization and UFO/X-COM until '94-95 because the others kept me so busy.

The only other one I can really compare would probably be '89, when I finally replaced my Atari2600 with an Amiga500 and was gifted a few dozen games from a family friend: Silkworm, Shadow of the Beast, Xenon 2, Speedball 2, and etc.

___

If I wanted to cheat, I'd probably say '94 was my favourite year, rather than favourite year of releases. I was still playing everything I loved about '93, plus I had new bundles of joy to keep me happy when I went to a neighbours to make use of their super fast PC - a 486DX2. In fact, those four games - Dune 2, Settlers, Colonization and Enemy Unknown - basically tied me 'over until 1998, when I picked up Diablo for cheap at an auction, and then amazed myself for doing any homework whatsoever during my VCE years. Sure, Street Rod, C&C and Red Alert and Warcraft and Settlers 2 were all fun, but they were merely distractions. And when I bought my first Wintel in '98 or so, a shitty old 486SX with no driver disks, after a token game or two of Doom, I went right back to playing Dune 2. And UFO. And Col/Civ.

This post has been edited by Nich...: May 8 2012, 08:01 PM

--------------------
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

+Quote Post
smakme7757
post May 8 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Overlord

1993 - Doom
1998 - Starcraft
2010 - Starcraft 2

This post has been edited by smakme7757: May 8 2012, 06:07 PM

--------------------
Currently running Ubuntu 13.10

+Quote Post
sora3
post May 8 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #7
Atomican
Guru

I suppose after looking around the years I am a gamer, there could be only one year in which I can say I loved gaming.

2008 was pretty much the year I've chosen to represent the year I loved being a gamer. It was a year of beginnings but it was also another year endings. It was a year of absolute joy from multiplaying down to the ending of big blockbusters. 2008 was the year that Intel Nehalem dominated all gaming computers and nVidia ruled the roost of graphics. Console gaming started to rise at this point as well.

January started with a bang with Nintendo showing they finally got rid of their 3rd party curse and childhood only by releasing No More Heroes. I couldn't believe that this game was released with Nintendo's blessing. A foul, potty mouthed anti-hero on the Wii was enough reason to play but the amount of puns involved was just priceless. It was enough to keep me occupied until March.

So March rolled round with Super Smash Bros Brawl. This meant that the Wii momentum was gaining traction. I loved it how the game involved all the usual suspects but the surprises of Sonic and Solid Snake sold me hours to train and hone my skills. I became so intimate with Snake, everyone that came over to play promptly banned me from using him. And so I had to utilise all the others in order to still keep my edge against my friends.

April produced one game that I still rage and love today. Valkyria Chronicles. It was a gem of a game that rarely got any advertising or mention. Maybe it was the turn-based strategy that turned people off. Mostly, I think it was the rage-inducing difficulty that doomed it. But if you look beyond these flaws, you'll see a rich and well-spun story which was seriously lacking in Sega in ages. I spent hours in this game, trying my best to save as many people I can and have no-one dying on my watch.

May saw the release of Mass Effect. I was sceptical that this game would be good. So I bought it and never played it. It was only until this year that I started playing ME in earnest.

June saw the era that I said goodbye to my PC and played the PS3 exclusively. That game was Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Sure, there was a buttload of cutscenes that it should have been made as a movie. But you cannot deny that if you had been playing the Metal Gears, this was the story that would end it all. I sat there, spellbound as the world moved progressively towards technological integration. To see the cost of that integration made the story even more poignant. The last hour was enough to move myself to tears as I was playing the end to it all. The beloved character of my gaming generation was fighting his last battle before bowing it. And that is how I see him going out. Kojima is inspirational in his story telling.

July was the twilight for PS2 as I had the pleasure of importing Persona 4 from the UK. It was odd how this game wouldn't make it to Australia but I can say most RPG fans would have loved this game. The Japanese quirks but still enough Western content to understand.

2008 ended with Fallout 3 and as well as the big one GTA4. So yeah, 2008 had enough good memories to actually be a gamer. But it was sad really as it herald the days PC gaming was in decline. There have been bursts but overall, PC gaming start to age badly since then.

--------------------
Main Rig: AMD A10-7700K @ 4.4GHz/Asus A88X-Pro/8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600@1766/Sapphire HD 7870@1050/5000/Samsung 840 256GB SSD/Bitfenix Shinobi/Noctua NH-D14/Corsair HX-750

Camera rig: Sony Alpha a77/Sony DT 16-50mm f2.8 SSM/Sony DT 16-105mm f3.5-5.6/Tammy 70-200mm f2.8/Sony DT 50mm f1.8/Sony HVL F42AM Flash

+Quote Post
AccessDenied
post May 8 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #8
Hero
Guru

I find Fl0uncy's comment about nvidia vs ati back then amusing.

I prefered NVIDIA. Why? So that way I didn't have to click that section of support on a website that said "HELP. I have an ATI card and I can't play". Then there was the massive amount of 'you need this driver to play this game, and that driver to play that game... Woeful drivers for that card. Fast and unstable. (Kinda like a motorbike)

2001 for me

Arcanum
Black and White
Baldurs gate 2
Halo
Clive Barkers: Undying
Civ 3

AD

--------------------
I can make my own woggle! Bet you can't woggle yours.

+Quote Post
Flouncy
post May 8 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #9
Atomican

Ok. It was 1991.

A convergence of bliss.

That year I was retrenched from a shitty insurance company clerical job. I was given ten grand (= a million dollars to me at the time). I bought a new PC, a pound of [redacted], and spent all day every day alternating between:

Falcon 3.0
Civilization
And Wing Commander

Truly the best year of gaming in my life.

--------------------
bringing wootie back

+Quote Post
DonutKing
post May 8 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #10
Hero
Overlord

Geez it's hard to pin this down to a single year. I'm going to say 1994 because that's the year I finally got my own PC instead of having to play on my friend's or cousin's machines.

Games released this year include Transport Tycoon, Sid Meier's Colonization, Master of Magic, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic 3, TIE Fighter, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3 SNES (or 6 for the FF fanboys), Wario Land (Super Mario Land 3)
(admittedly I didn't get any consoles till much later)

I really wanted to say 1993 for games like X-Wing, Blake Stone, Duke Nukem 2, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, Return to Zork, and a little-known gem called Doom... but since I didn't have my own PC or console then I guess it doesn't really count. (I played most of these games in the following year or two)

I also want to give a shoutout to 1995 for Tyrian, Dark Forces, Command and Conquer, Descent, Full Throttle, Warcraft 2, Worms....

damn the whole early nineties owned! if you weren't gaming then, you missed out.

Also whatever year Morrowind came out since I played that for pretty much the whole year and ignored basically everything else. Also System Shock 2 for half a year. And Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And oh god the list goes on...

This post has been edited by DonutKing: May 8 2012, 07:57 PM

--------------------
486DX4-100|16MB|ET4000W32/P VLB|GUS Classic|CT2800 SB16+XR385|DOS6.22
386DX-40|8MB|ET4000|CT1690 SBPRO+Sony CDU33A|Music Quest MPU401|Roland SC55+MT32|DOS5
286-10|1MB|ATI EGA WONDER|1987 Adlib|Roland LAPC-I|CT1300 CMS|Above Board 2MB EMS|ST251 42MB|DOS3.3
AMIGA 1200|ACA1230/42 64MB|1084S
AMIGA 500|A501 512KB

+Quote Post
clung3
post May 8 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #11
Atomican
Charge

Wow some awesome replies in here. Totally forgot about Ocarina of Time, spent nearly a full year playing that, and then Master Quest later on. Best game.

Lol, I do remember a lot more about 2004, huge huge year... Far Cry took up most of my time though - especially with the editor, first time seeing a WYSIWYG editor and it was so much fun to play around with.

--------------------
s3x.

+Quote Post
ReapermanRS
post May 8 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Overlord

1993 we acquired the first family PC which was a very pimped out 286 (it had something stupid like 4 mbs of Ram and a half decent video card because it was surplus from a marine engineering company)

I discovered Civilization.

My life was never the same.

Far cry sucked, there I said it. I hated that game and could never understand why people raved about it, to this day I still prefer to replay Half Life.

--------------------
08/11/2012 the day the music died.

+Quote Post
Ezkaton
post May 8 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #13
Atomican
Primarch

I don't really have a best year.

Each and every year is different, with new and interesting things popping up all the time.
I guess I've grown with games, I don't care much for nostalgia... though I do have favorites from the various gaming 'eras', so to speak.

--------------------
http://steamcommunity.com/id/supervillainoutcast
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/SupervillainX/
PSN ID: SupervillainX

+Quote Post
xnatex
post May 8 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #14
Atomican
Mafia Winner

QUOTE (smakme7757 @ May 8 2012, 06:06 PM) *
1993 - Doom
1998 - Starcraft
2010 - Starcraft 2

Lol yes

Il add Fallout 1 & 2 to this where ever the fit

+Quote Post
Chuck Norris(goo...
post May 9 2012, 06:52 AM
Post #15
Hero
Titan

Summer of 2002/03

The year of multiplayer awesome for me...

BF1942, Day Of Defeat, SOF2, CS even, IMHO it was the golden age of the online FPS, servers were packed 24 hrs a day....

BF1942 was new, cheesy, and riotous fun, more fun, less Statwhore...

SOF2, I'd have to say the most exciting FPS experience I've ever had was CTF in this game once you got the flag...

Day Of Defeat, 3.1b... need I say more.... gold. IMHO the best it ever was.

CS..... better at least there were enough people to play servers with map rotation, but de_dust was brutally common.

IMHO this was truly the golden age of the online shooter... never have I had so much fun and such a wide choice of servers, the sheer amount of gamers online back then makes servers now look like a fart in a tornado.

This post has been edited by Chuck Norris(good actor: May 9 2012, 06:54 AM

--------------------
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."

+Quote Post
ReapermanRS
post May 9 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #16
Atomican
Overlord

QUOTE (Chuck Norris(good actor @ May 9 2012, 06:52 AM) *
CS..... better at least there were enough people to play servers with map rotation, but de_dust was brutally common.

Dust2 and Office. The reason I stopped playing. Was I the only one who loved Prodigy and Nuke? Aztec was also great, might load up some 1.5 for nostaligias sake.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chuck Norris(goo...
post May 9 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #17
Hero
Titan

QUOTE (ReapermanRS @ May 9 2012, 07:56 AM) *
QUOTE (Chuck Norris(good actor @ May 9 2012, 06:52 AM) *

Dust2 and Office. The reason I stopped playing. Was I the only one who loved Prodigy and Nuke? Aztec was also great, might load up some 1.5 for nostaligias sake.

haha yeah, my mate n I nicknamed CS, "Dust2office"... I gave up on CS...

Stagnant community.

--------------------
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."

+Quote Post
ReapermanRS
post May 9 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #18
Atomican
Overlord

I really miss NS, that mod was bloody awesome when you could find people to play it with you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chuck Norris(goo...
post May 9 2012, 08:37 AM
Post #19
Hero
Titan

How could I forget NS!? A very underrated mod, so tactical.

Didn't last long though, it probably was the steep learning curve... but so rewarding for those who wanted to play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bushi
post May 9 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #20
Atomican
Guru

CS 1.5

My favorite.

I might reinstall 1.6 and see if I can bare the graphics to enjoy the gameplay.

--------------------
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/detail5/pc/squatter.png

i7 875k | Intel DP55KG | 6GB G-Skill Pi | Inno3D GTX580 1GB | 120GB Intel 520 + 1.5TB (+ 1.5TB backup) Seagate | Pioneer BDR-206BK | Auzentech Prelude 7.1 | Hauppauge 2200 PVR | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT-02BW

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2014 - 01:10 AM