22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What of Atomic?
hawkeye
post Nov 8 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #1
God
Guru

Well, I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

The bad news, is that issue 143 of Atomic, which we’re putting to bed in a day or two, will be the last standalone issue of the magazine.

The good news, to cut to the chase, is that Atomic will undergo a merger with PC & Tech Authority, both in print and online, to keep the brand – and the community – alive.

It will likely surprise few of you to learn that times are very tough in publishing. In fact, in all forms of media, companies are struggling, and – sadly – Atomic’s felt that struggle this year. Readers are consuming their content in new and different ways, looking more to online than print than ever before. At the same time, even advertisers are changing the way they do business; gaming, in particular, is moving to more of a marquee and billboard model, which sees them more likely to drop money on a bus or TV spot than in an enthusiast gaming magazine.

And so, our decision. It’s not been easy, but I do think it’s the right one.

So, what does the merger mean for you, our fantastic, dedicated, and passionate community? Well, I’m glad to say, if you’re largely a forum user, it means very little. While the Atomic Forums will now exist under the PC&TA umbrella, they’ll not be changing at all.

We value you and your presence.

If you enjoy our articles and reviews on games and hardware, they’ll now exist on the PC & Tech Authority website, tagged as ‘ATOMIC’ articles much like the site currently brands articles from our STUFF feed. In fact, we’ll be grouping all Atomic articles in one Atomic section, in case you couldn’t care less about phones, tablets, and the latest iterations of Chrome or Skype.

I’ll still be writing, John will still be writing. We’re going nowhere.

The biggest change, of course, is in print. From the February issue of PC&TA the magazine will be increased by sixteen pages, to make room for more component and game reviews. In a lot of ways it’s like coming home – when Atomic started, that kind of content slowly disappeared from PC&TA. Now it’s coming back.

We’re also aiming to have a lot of the old crew in the new PC&TA. Not only John and I, but I’m hoping some other of our regulars will come across. With great game reviews and features, PC hardware, plus the already in-depth content of PC&TA, we’re hoping current subscribers (who will automatically switch across) and purchasers of the magazine will find something different, but comfortingly familiar.

It’s a very mixed time for me, right now. I can’t help but feel that something is ending, and in a way it is. But all of us at Haymarket are committed to trying to keep Atomic alive, and I must admit, it’s rather amazing to see a company willing to do something like this. I’ve worked at many companies where closing magazines just go away; to see one willing to work to keep its brand, readers, and community still going is oddly refreshing.

I do hope you will all stick around for the continuing Atomic journey. If you've got any questions, you know to ask them. I might be a touch busy this afternoon, but I'll get to all of them in time.

--------------------
aka David Hollingworth, Managing Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay

"Hawkeye’s pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monk’s pants at dawn."

- Hlass
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Foods
post Nov 8 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #2
Hero
Guru

I'm a sad panda.

'

--------------------
When life gives you lemons, say "Fuck the lemons" and bail.

+Quote Post
ReapermanRS
post Nov 8 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #3
Atomican
Overlord

--------------------
08/11/2012 the day the music died.

+Quote Post
smadge1
post Nov 8 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #4
Atomican
Titan

Will Zebs still be writing?

what happens to our subs?

--------------------
Put your monkey where your mouth is.

These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu.

What's On My Mind?
http://twitter.com/smadge1
http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

+Quote Post
Takoma
post Nov 8 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #5
Hero
Hero

I logged in on my phone to type a post about how sad I was. In the time it took me to do so however I had a think and this could be cool. Having Atomic as a subsection of a greater tech publication could mean it gets streamlined back down to the hardcore shit. That would be both my suggestion and fervent hope. Make it so, and shit.

As for the forums, this could be a shot in the arm with new blood coming in and being awesome. Could be a death knell too. I'll be watching with renewed interest. Chins up everyone, I reckon this will be a cool new beginning.

--------------------
things

+Quote Post
PointZeroOne
post Nov 8 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #6
Atomican
Mafia Scum

oh that's rather sad.

At least Atomic is sticking around in some form.

Would it be possible to have the main page of Atomic site just show the Atomic feed from PC&TA?

And as smadge asked, what happens to our subs? Do we just start receiving the new PC&TA when Atomic Mag goes?

+Quote Post
smadge1
post Nov 8 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #7
Atomican
Titan

well, good news for me too I guess, in that I'll only have to subscribe to one GOOD mag, rather than 2!

--------------------
Put your monkey where your mouth is.

These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu.

What's On My Mind?
http://twitter.com/smadge1
http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

+Quote Post
twinair
post Nov 8 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #8
Hero
Immortal

QUOTE (smadge1 @ Nov 8 2012, 01:17 PM) *
well, good news for me too I guess, in that I'll only have to subscribe to one GOOD mag, rather than 2!

It's going to cost you twice as much, though.

--------------------
This aint no fuckin' bible study.
I didn't come here to save whales.
I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

+Quote Post
Zzozzach
post Nov 8 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #9
Atomican
Overlord

Hmmm...I haven't been a regular reader of the print version for a while, but I'm also hopeful this will be a new beginning of better things to come. I've bought more PC&TA lately, so I guess this means I'll become a more regular reader. Heck, I may even subscribe again!

I'm also glad to see the forums will live on. Does this mean they'll get the upgrade they've so badly needed recently?

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Chazzozz.
Still an enthusiastic Opera user. Try it, you'll like it: http://www.opera.com/download/
I love torrenting MAME and Pinball emulators. One day I may even use the software.

+Quote Post
missewa
post Nov 8 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #10
God
Serf

This makes me sad. I'm so glad you guys still have jobs and all, but it's still a bummer. Atomic was my little hideyhole from the rest of the big bad Haymarket world - the part of my job I actually enjoyed!

No questions, but will probably annoy you for the insider scoop when the dust has settled. Love your work as usual though. Good luck with the transition :)

+Quote Post
hawkeye
post Nov 8 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #11
God
Guru

The subs thing is a big question, actually.

If you're a subscriber of Atomic, you'll basically get this last issue, and then - in January - the Feb (and expanded) issue of PC&TA. Now, this is actually kind of a good deal. PC&TA is a more expensive mag, with DVD, and it's not going to cost you extra (until you eventually re-sub, if you decide to).

Also, with that issue, we'll be offering ALL subscribers a digital edition of the mag as well, in the format of their choice. You can keep it yourself, gift it on, your call.

And you get more of me in a suit. WIN WIN!

--------------------
aka David Hollingworth, Managing Editor - Atomic, Hyper, PC & Tech Authority, PC PowerPlay

"Hawkeye’s pants were like the pants of a deity. Touching them I was in sudden communion with all of pantskind. The ancestral trouser crawling from the murk of time, the fierce battle pant scourging the infidel, the quiet meditation of the monk’s pants at dawn."

- Hlass

+Quote Post
Xen
post Nov 8 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Overlord

Fuck.

I really hope this has no negative effect on the forums.

Also if we were wanting in the future to buy back editions of atomic in printed format can we still do that?

Also, also... with your overlords having a closer range to whip your backs will this forum end up being more stringently moderated? will i no longer be able to say fuck or asshat or fuckface...etc?

--------------------
如诸佛尽寿不杀生, 我亦尽寿不杀生
如诸佛尽寿不偷盗, 我亦尽寿不偷盗
如诸佛尽寿不妄语, 我某甲亦尽寿不妄语

+Quote Post
dinos22
post Nov 8 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #13
Atomican
Journeyman

Damn shame guys, i have a soft spot for this mag as it kick started our TeamAU team somewhat and always had the geek/enthusiast crowd covered better than anyone else. Good luck with the merge.

--------------------
GIGABYTE Australia

+Quote Post
PointZeroOne
post Nov 8 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #14
Atomican
Mafia Scum

So, question then about subscribing. Can we extend our subscription now for Atomic and then when our current sub runs out it continues on, on the newly purchased one but getting PC&TA instead?

+Quote Post
jdog
post Nov 8 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #15
Atomican
Overlord

NOOOOOOOOO!

and I wanted to subscribe at Christmas time..:(

Atomic was where I started to get really into computers and I have made some really good friends here and got some really good help when needed.

Atomic is my home forum and hopefully it can stay that way.

Will the final issue be jam packed with all the best stuff and include a DVD with all the past issues on it?

--------------------
WTB: corsair Hypers 2000 CL7
Atomic's wannabe LN2 Junkie
Project "Giga-bench"- Complete: bit.ly/1erdgs9
Main Rig: GA-X58A-UD7(v2)|i7 950|12gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz|Gigabyte GTX 460 768mb|Coolermaster HAF X |1TB WD Black HDD||Pionner DVDRW|Corsair HX850w|Logitech X530|Dell U2711|Logitech G500|Logitech G510|HD 280 Pro
Steam Name:jim_jam333/jimba86
Xbox 360 S 250GB + Kinect owner

+Quote Post
SacrificialNewt
post Nov 8 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #16
Hero
Titan

Wow. Nuts.

+Quote Post
hawkeye
post Nov 8 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #17
God
Guru

QUOTE (PointZeroOne @ Nov 8 2012, 12:57 PM) *
So, question then about subscribing. Can we extend our subscription now for Atomic and then when our current sub runs out it continues on, on the newly purchased one but getting PC&TA instead?

I'm not sure that would be doable, but... I guess you can always try it online!

--------------------

- Hlass

+Quote Post
twinair
post Nov 8 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #18
Hero
Immortal

QUOTE (Xen @ Nov 8 2012, 01:53 PM) *
Fuck.

I really hope this has no negative effect on the forums.

Pretty sure the only way the forum could be more in decline is if it disappeared all together.
But as Tak mentions, this could be a blessing in disguise for the forums.
And I align my thoughts with Tak.

--------------------
This aint no fuckin' bible study.
I didn't come here to save whales.
I came here to shake my dick and have a great time.

+Quote Post
hawkeye
post Nov 8 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #19
God
Guru

Oh, and I'm NOT planning on changing anything about the forums.

This post has been edited by hawkeye: Nov 8 2012, 02:41 PM

--------------------

- Hlass

+Quote Post
missingo
post Nov 8 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #20
Atomican
Charge

End of a era. It was fun while it lasted, many good times at social events and Atomic Lives.

It will be good to see it live on in some form but i will miss that individual magazine.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 07:15 AM