Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which way does a hacksaw blade go on?
Atomic 3.0 > The Geeks > The Green Room
robzy
This blade isn't symmetrical, the triangle thingos have a straight (perpendicular) edge, and a slated edge...

|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\

Which way do I orientate it when I put it on the bracket thingo?

Rob.
Jeruselem
OK, I'm not expert ... this is from wikipedia

A screw or other mechanism is used to put the thin blade under tension. The blade can mounted with the teeth facing toward or away from the from the handle, resulting in cutting action on either the push or pull stroke. On the push stroke, the arch will flex slightly, decreasing the tension on the blade.
Oracle X
The slanted edge should face towards you, I think. But I prefer to cut up my victims with a knife, so I could be wrong.
SquallStrife
The cutting points should point away from you, so that you cut on the push stroke.
smadge1
depends how you use it, are you stronger with the push or pull stroke?

I would orient it so it was cutting on the push stroke.
moofactory
from memory you want the perpendicular angle to be facing you and the slanted angle to be facing away from you. (so it slides foward easyer? which as said is also the cutting angle)

Id expect its easyer to pull on the strait angle of the teeth than it would be to push on it.

Just think in your head about the last time you were sawing...

just to show an example:

ice carving saws

Oracle X
QUOTE (smadge1 @ Dec 3 2009, 12:49 PM) *
depends how you use it, are you stronger with the push or pull stroke?

I would orient it so it was cutting on the push stroke.

oh I think robzy is very skilled at the pull... stroke... :-P
VannA
... wow.

:D

Cut on the push.
wlayton27
Yep, straight edges facing away from the handle so it cuts on the push stroke. Wiki may be right that it goes either way, but it's safer and more effecient to cut on the push strokes. Plus an electric saws-all blade only plugs in one way and the flat edges face outwards.
SquallStrife
QUOTE (moofactory @ Dec 3 2009, 11:50 AM) *
Id expect its easyer to pull on the strait angle of the teeth than it would be to push on it.

It's not about being easy to move, it's about cutting away more material per stroke.

If the cutting points are pointed away from you, it will be cutting while you're pushing, with plenty more weight behind it than when you pull.
robzy
I assume the straight edge is the cutting edge, it seems to agree with the random facts floating around my mind.

Straight edge cutting on the push stroke? Done :)

Thanks guys.

Rob.
Jeruselem
I don't use them very often I find it easier to cut on the push or maybe it's way the ones at home are done - for the push cut.
Rybags
It's actually easier to cut on the pull stroke. That's how mine's setup.
If you have one of those you-beaut Japanese tree saws, that's the way they're setup too.

Prove it to yourself - try each direction and operate the saw one-handed.

Electric is different... generally the design is to deflect shavings/chips away from the operator, and to design the tool such that it won't jump upwards if it sticks.

but... it could be argued with a hacksaw two-handed, you can apply more power as the second hand can better apply forward + downward force.
SquallStrife
QUOTE (Rybags @ Dec 3 2009, 12:00 PM) *
It's actually easier to cut on the pull stroke. That's how mine's setup.
If you have one of those you-beaut Japanese tree saws, that's the way they're setup too.

It's easier, but (in the case of a hacksaw) takes way longer to cut, since there isn't nearly as much force on the teeth.
Rybags
The other argument for pull-stroke action: the blade is less likely to buckle due to the entire saw being contracted, and is also less likely to jump off the piece of work and stratch the shit out of it.
tastywheat
QUOTE (Rybags @ Dec 3 2009, 01:14 PM) *
The other argument for pull-stroke action: the blade is less likely to buckle due to the entire saw being contracted, and is also less likely to jump off the piece of work and stratch the shit out of it.

This.

Pull-to-cut is the standard, or at least the standard tradies use.
Foods
Just be sure to have the teeth facing up.

'
SquallStrife
QUOTE (tastywheat @ Dec 3 2009, 12:23 PM) *

This.

I guess it's a personal preference thing then? I've never ever ever seen hacksaws used pull-to-cut.

You put more force on the saw when you push, gently dragging the teeth back across the material to cut seems futile.
Jeruselem
I think Robzy has to work out which is best for him I guess!

MoshVandal
QUOTE (tastywheat @ Dec 3 2009, 12:23 PM) *

This.

Really? Pretty much every saw I've ever come across cuts on the push stroke, save for a pruning saw that I have, which cuts on the pull (from memory, been a while since I used it), and the pruning saw at my folks house, which has bi-directional teeth ('M' shaped).

That said, I remember an ad on TV years ago for something like this SHARKSAW, which is a pull saw. But aside from that, every rip/tenon saw I've ever seen has been on the push.

I've messaged my brother, the ex stair builder, turned all round builder. So a proper tradie answer should be forthcoming. :)
mattym
QUOTE (Foods @ Dec 3 2009, 10:30 AM) *

'

lol

don't laugh though because I had an apprentice at work do that once, and I was like are you serious?!
robzy
Did a fair bit with a hacksaw, but I figure that when my Dad comes home I'll tell him its a good time to teach me chainsaw safety :P

Rob.
tastywheat
QUOTE (MoshVandal @ Dec 3 2009, 01:42 PM) *
I've messaged my brother, the ex stair builder, turned all round builder. So a proper tradie answer should be forthcoming. :)

I'm working on a site now and just asked one of the guys, apparently it depends on where the saw was made. Europeans use push-cut, Japanese use pull-cut.
MoshVandal
QUOTE (tastywheat @ Dec 3 2009, 12:58 PM) *
QUOTE (MoshVandal @ Dec 3 2009, 01:42 PM) *

I'm working on a site now and just asked one of the guys, apparently it depends on where the saw was made. Europeans use push-cut, Japanese use pull-cut.

Yeah, thought it might be a region thing. Everywhere mentioned 'Japanese style pull saw'.

Guess it's also highly dependant on the job. I can see pull saws being smaller and more manoeuvrable for a more delicate job, but would definitely opt for a push saw for ripping through something like 2x4 or a sleeper on a straight cut.

Plus, I'd wager the tradie standard is now power saw. :)
1shot1kill
QUOTE (moofactory @ Dec 3 2009, 12:50 PM) *
from memory you want the perpendicular angle to be facing you and the slanted angle to be facing away from you. (so it slides foward easyer? which as said is also the cutting angle)

The straight edge of the tooth is the cutting edge, when using a hacksaw you should cut on the push stroke. So the straight edge of the hacksaw blade teeth face away from the operator.

http://thumb7.shutterstock.com.edgesuite.n...cro-3650613.jpg

robzy
I got told off for using a hacksaw anywho, especially when the more appropriate tool (dunno what it's called, like a hacksaw, but bigger, with a sturdier cutting thingo and bigger teeth) was right there next to it :P

The olds also tried to have a go with me for my hack'n'slash methods, informing me that it would kill the tree. I pointed out that they wanted it dead, and in the past have drilled holes and poored diesel into it :P

Rob.
LordBug
Oh god, people are arguing about which way the teeth should be on hacksaw?
That's a sure sign of a slow slow day!

Secret to tools mate - Don't ask people. Be a man, and learn by trail and error. It's the only way to do it!
And there isn't a set way of doing it for saws. I prefer pull to cut, because I always fuckup on pushes (And get worn out faster). Though really, I much more prefer to pull out the angle grinder/circular saw/jigsaw/blowtorch. Really need to save up for a proper chainsaw.
LogicprObe
QUOTE (Foods @ Dec 3 2009, 01:30 PM) *

'

It's much safer that way.
1shot1kill
QUOTE (robzy @ Dec 3 2009, 06:48 PM) *
I got told off for using a hacksaw anywho, especially when the more appropriate tool (dunno what it's called, like a hacksaw, but bigger, with a sturdier cutting thingo and bigger teeth) was right there next to it :P

The olds also tried to have a go with me for my hack'n'slash methods, informing me that it would kill the tree. I pointed out that they wanted it dead, and in the past have drilled holes and poored diesel into it :P

Rob.
Hacksaws are for cutting metal, not wood. And you don't poor diesel into anything. At all.
VannA
I knew I should have asked what this was for.
robzy
QUOTE (1shot1kill @ Dec 3 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Hacksaws are for cutting metal, not wood. And you don't poor diesel into anything. At all.

Hey, I needed something to get the job done, and only went through $1 worth of blades.

And that second one doesn't sound right. How would those with diesel engines fill up their tanks?

(It might not've been diesel, it was quite a few years ago, but it was something that was meant to kill the tree)

Rob.
1shot1kill
QUOTE (robzy @ Dec 3 2009, 08:35 PM) *
And that second one doesn't sound right. How would those with diesel engines fill up their tanks?
Poor is an adjective.
moist
What's wrong with your father? Did he not teach you tools while you were a sprog?
robzy
QUOTE (1shot1kill @ Dec 3 2009, 08:37 PM) *
QUOTE (robzy @ Dec 3 2009, 08:35 PM) *
Poor is an adjective.

Brb, figuratively jumping off a high cliff because I'm an idiot.

Rob.
1shot1kill
No, you're learning. :p
robzy
QUOTE (1shot1kill @ Dec 3 2009, 08:41 PM) *
No, you're learning. :p

But I already knew that :P

Rob.
tastywheat

Hacksaws aren't just for cutting metal.

:P
1shot1kill
QUOTE (tastywheat @ Dec 3 2009, 08:46 PM) *
Hacksaws aren't just for cutting metal.

:P

You're right.
moist
Hacksaws are for cutting metal

They do quite a good job on poly-pipe as well.
Sir_Substance
QUOTE (MoshVandal @ Dec 3 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Guess it's also highly dependant on the job. I can see pull saws being smaller and more manoeuvrable for a more delicate job, but would definitely opt for a push saw for ripping through something like 2x4 or a sleeper on a straight cut.

my thoughts were more on the type of materiel being cut. rybags mention of the jumping saw problem is relevant here. on softer materials like plastic and soft woods, a push-cut action would probably be preferable for speed.

if you were trying to use the hacksaw to cut metal though, i for one would definitely rather use a pull-action cut. if it caught on a burr during a vicious thrust on a push-cut, it would jump like a bastard, which is never a good thing with saws.
datafast69
Another vote on the push stroke for cutting.

With something like a pruning saw with a curved blade, It's better on the pull.
King_Of_The_Mountain
In most (if not all) of my experiences it actually says on the blade which way it goes.
1shot1kill
QUOTE (King_Of_The_Mountain @ Dec 3 2009, 09:37 PM) *
In most (if not all) of my experiences it actually says on the blade which way it goes.

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00Y...k-Saw-Blade.jpg
LogicprObe

Bloody chinese hacksaw blades are a waste of time.

I use Jap or Yank.
robzy
So my old man pointed to the bush that I hacked down, a part with a shard of blue blade wedged in it, and asked me "Is that part of the murder weapon?" :P

Rob.
datafast69
OK Rob, I'll bite, how many blades did you go through?
plebsmacker
QUOTE (robzy @ Dec 11 2009, 11:50 PM) *
So my old man pointed to the bush that I hacked down, a part with a shard of blue blade wedged in it, and asked me "Is that part of the murder weapon?

So against all relative advice, you cut a plant with a metal cutting saw? You really are a window licker.
wlayton27
QUOTE (plebsmacker @ Dec 11 2009, 11:07 PM) *
QUOTE (robzy @ Dec 11 2009, 11:50 PM) *
So my old man pointed to the bush that I hacked down, a part with a shard of blue blade wedged in it, and asked me "Is that part of the murder weapon?

So against all relative advice, you cut a plant with a metal cutting saw? You really are a window licker.

"The schnozberries taste like schnozberries!"

I'm surprised robzy didn't give up after the first few strokes ... that's dedication.
robzy
QUOTE (datafast69 @ Dec 11 2009, 11:54 PM) *
OK Rob, I'll bite, how many blades did you go through?

I think it was 4 all up. Given that the packet-of-6 still had the price tag on it, $2, I didn't feel all too bad about it :P

QUOTE (plebsmacker @ Dec 12 2009, 12:07 AM) *

As I mentioned before, I had a job that I said I'd do, and I got it done.

Rob.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.