For those unfamiliar with it, MWLL is a total mod of Crysis. Winner of the Mod of the Year last year, it is far and away the best multiplayer Mechwarrior game you'll ever play, featuring not only Mechs but also powerful tracked, hover, aerospace and VTOL units. In fact, calling it a 'mod' is significantly understates what the devs have achieved with this game - this mod has more depth than most commercial titles.
Key updates in v0.4:
- now runs on Crysis Wars, which is on special today from Steam for <$4.
- introduces "Terrain Control" game mode, in which the two teams captures hangers and other battlefield assets.
- many new Mechs and other vehicles
- lots of balances, bug fixes and tweaks
If you are going to get into the game, I suggest you buy Crysis Wars today, as most of the community will move to that platform for its superior netcode. The mod itself is a 2.2Gb download.
You might find the Mech controls a little complicated at first, and you'll likely get your metal arse handed to you in your first few matches, but hang in there. The community is helpful and the payoff in terms of huge tactical combined arms gameplay is worth it.
My top tips for new players:
- go out as a member of a pack, not solo
- turn your radar off (as it will give you away) and just use your eyes to start with, until you get used to tactical use
- avoid Mechs with ACs and UAC weapons at first, as they require experience to be successful with
- flank the enemy, rather than charge in head on
- ask lots of questions