Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Serf

About Splash1

  • Rank
  • Birthday 28/11/1973
  1. Splash1

    Should I still instal Windows 7

    Hi Guys, It's been a while since I last posted a question, and that being: "Windows 7 Updates. How large a file too Download?" , and I haven't progressed much from there for a whole host of reasons ! So I still have a Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1 disc in hand and would like to know if its still going to be straight forward for me to install ! Having just read this artical > "Sticking with Windows 7? Make sure you do these 5 things first" , has given me some incite and confidence to success. However, I still have concern having just read some recent horror story's regarding people installing Win7 for the first time and their updates letting them down. Then, although various solutions have been posted on line, the fingers been pointed with various hints of conspiracy at Microsoft trying to slow down updates so everyone rolls over to Windows10. You have probably heard the stories among others. So putting conspiracies aside, should I be good to go for a successful install and updates? Has anyone recently installed and encountered any problems? My installation disk is genuine, just hasn't been used yet. :(
  2. Splash1

    i7 6700K Skylake Build

    Thanks Dasa. I really think the Jury is out on this one until we get more Mo-Bo reviews. In the meantime I've been reading up on Sky-lake to understand as much as I can, and keeping up with on line reviews is kind of doing my head in ....so much for retail therapy? Like the rest of us, pretty curious about the next range of boards PC & tech Authority will test and release too their kit log. Long live Mo-Bo retail therapy !
  3. Splash1

    i7 6700K Skylake Build

    Thanks Dasa, This build, just like the last one 6 years back, is for FSX-SE / P3D, which pretty much require as good a stable O.C. as you can get. Alot of people using 3rd party software the likes of PMDG / ActiveSky Weather / ATC / Scenery & Other 3rd party add onns all takes a chunk. Why and how I came to choose these two mobo's is by having checked some PC builds from companies which advertise themselves as Flight Sim / FSX specialists, and then noticing other forum users employing the same AUSUS ROG Mobos such as the Hero. I have also been curious as to why this company may just offer ASUS. I guess their drawn inn by the BIOS Overclock software/hardware being used. Being a user of Gigabyte for 6 years and then seeing the review for the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard, I guess has brought me back to the centreline. I kind of now envy all the Core i7-4790 Haswell users out there with stable OC's Can you suggest a preference and reason why betwern these two mobo's? Is it easier to OC between one brand and the other? Or am I just another consumer to be had? .....lol
  4. Splash1

    Overclocking i7 920 help

    LOL Here's another bump..... When you refer to the CPU as Revision C , what data can you draw this from. Link below regarding data I've reviewed from Wikpedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Nehalem_microarchitecture_.281st_generation.29
  5. Hi Guys, Here's my Skylake build with the hopes of a stable O.C. to 4.7(Air)-4.8GHZ(Liquid) being my aim. CPU - Intel Core i7 6700K $525.00 MB - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard $369.00 MB - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard $389.00 RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black $199.00 RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black $269.00 GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB $549.00 SSD - Samsung 500GB 850 EVO (Bought in June for current system < Price :() PSU - Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply $3 25.00 CASE - Use Current PC A20 Lian - Li CPU COOL- Noctua NH-D15 CPU Air Cooler $129.00 Or Corsair Hydro H80iGT 120mm Liquid Cool $149 With the help of some respectable reveiws, from mags of the likes of PC Tech Authority and other sources online, I have been caught between two mo-bos and interested inn opinions. I have been a Gigabyte user since 2004. But with a little promting and confirmation I would try a new brand ! I was disapointed that Gigabyte offer 1 fewer rear USB 2.0 /3.0, and in my game you need all the USb ports on offer !! But 1 less isn't do sad. My other concern was the choice of memory and timmings, taking into account correct and confirmed compatibility. As raised in Tech Authorities current issue and taking their good advice, I checked the Corsair websites where I have only been able to confirm compatibility for the ASUS Hero III MOBO http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/manuals/dram/DDR4-Compatibility.pdf .
  6. Splash1

    Overclocking i7 920 help

    Hi Trevjo, Good luck with O.C. I never got around to overclocking my 940 due to various commitments but thinking about overclocking and testing with FSX Steam environment or P3D. Yeh I'm another wing nut, and AirHauler addict! Hence,I would be most interested in your performance increases when O.C. is stable, and I don't know if you have thought about FSX-SE or P3d yourself? These versions are apparently more stable due to the recompilled code. But all that is another post and chapter by it's self.
  7. Splash1

    Windows 7 Updates. How large a file too Download?

    Thanks for the responses. I am hoping updates after the instal are around the 1-2 Gb limit, as Nich has answered. I just keep putting off this update for one reason or the other....lol Now I am down to a 6GB buffer, if not less, and by the weekend I'll be down to 3-4 Gb after the wife has used for work. So I will see if this delays for another week. I know I can halt updates and patch with my 3rd party security. But I realy wanted to install / update / and then image ! Forget ! But it amazes me that I can not find a specific answer, even on the MS website?
  8. Hi Guys, I'm thinking of updating to Windows 7 this weekend on my SSD. (Please stop laughing about now...thankyou!) The question is..... as I am short on d/l capacity this weekend. How many and how large are the updates going to be? I have Googled and tried researching this, as O thought it would be easy to find an answer? I plan on installing Windows 7 Ultimate (X64). I am also at the understanding that there exists a Service pack 1, but not sure if this comes preloaded on installation CD? Interested in your wisedoms.
  9. Having done a little more research, and now having initiated a request for refund from Acronis. As soon as a receipt of funds are transferred back I'll purchase a copy of "StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop" It's reviewed on all accounts to be a solid performer. I'll worry about running cloned images of Vista on virtual machines later. However, Master_Scythe, thanks for your input yet again. I'll somehow dig myself out of this hole, and into another, soon enough. And it I'll be at my expense and your your entertainment. LOL
  10. I'm in the process of updating from Vista to Windows 7. Yes I'm really moving with the times, but at least 'm incorporating a move from HDD to SSD as well. All was going well with my plans until I realised my current version of Acronis 9 is not Windows 7 compatible, and upon checking Acronis 2015 the supported operating systems are the following: So I then did a little digging around in the Acronis archives and found that Acronis 2014 is compatible with XP / Vista and Windows 7. Next stop was product support to explain my situation and to check as to what assistance they can offer. I then received the following response: "I am glad to inform you that downgrade request from Acronis True Image 2015 to Acronis True Image 2014 is approved from our management." I also asked a further question regarding the use of Acronis 2015 with Vista. "Acronis True Image 2015 may work or may not on windows Vista. We have not tested Acronis True Image 2015 on windows Vista OS, hence if there is any technical issues we would not be able to troubleshoot." Which to a degree is acceptable I assume. So there's my summary of options for Acronis, based on compatibility and availability of versions. The install of Windows 7 is to be fresh on a new SSD, and Vista is currently located on RAID5, spread across 3 x Raptor drives.. What my real concerns and expectations are, once I've completed a final incremental backup of Vista, is to be able to alternate between these two operating systems using Acronis 2014? I'm not planning to do this on a weekly bases, but as an option if I find some purchased software to be non Windows 7 complaint. Another option I'm considering is running a cloned image of Vista on a virtual machine, as opposed to doing a complete install on the SSD. What are peoples thoughts on these plans? Am I going about this with the right expectations?
  11. I received an email response from ORICO customer care team explaining that their website is being updated, and attached in the email was a d/l link to the correct drivers. So with that sorted, both drivers and hardware are working together harmoniously with synergy, for the time being anyway. Thank you very much for contacting ORICO customer care team. We are terribly sorry that our website is updating now. So there may be something wrong with the driver supports. Please kindly click the link below for the driver: ............................................................ Hope this can be of any help to you. Any other doubts please feel free to contact us. Thanks for all your patience. Best Regards I don't know about you guys, but I think this is one of the best responses I've had from a customer support (except of course the level of support from you guys at Atomic), but then again maybe I don't get out much. I might also drop some of the better links to the equipment bought, might help others solve any issues you have, especially the setup of the Hotway 4-Bay enclosure. With out the review from Photoleif, who offers more detailed instructions than what actually come with the product, I'm indebted to folks like this who offer that level of detail in their review. Anyway, probably should have bought a NAS for a bit more $, but I can now successfully and safely archive a decade of data! http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290977 "Hotway 4-Bay non-RAID USB3.0/eSATA Enclosure" (HF2-SU3S2) http://www.oricoonline.us/index.php The Not listed on website "Orico 7-Port" USB 3.0 Desktop PCIe Card (PVU3-502U) http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1532457 A few issues raised here! http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-HF2-SU3S2-Drive-Enclosure/product-reviews/B003X26VV4 Offers detailed review with hints to product setup in more detail than enclosed instructions !
  12. Appreciated aliali, I will try this search tonight and advise if successful. Yesterday I focussed on establishing a succesful eSATA wotk around connection, however drivers could only identify one of of the 2 HD drives. which I think is attributed to incompatible port multipliers on the mobo, I have read. Finally tried the easiest connection, but the slowest. USB 2.0, which worked successfully 1st time. Will advise on USB 3.0 shortly.
  13. Interesting. Ive tried through device manager as well, and all obvious options have failed in their search. The big yellow apostrophe still stands prominent! I just have to wait for an answer from .cn I guess. I'll May be try eSATA or give inn to USB2, which kind of deceits the purpose to begin with, with respect to transfer speeds. But no drivers have auto loaded.
  14. Hi guys, Having read some reviews I decided to try the "Orico 7-Port USB 3.0 Desktop PCIe Card" , to speed up transfer rates with my also new "Hotway 4-Bay non-RAID USB3.0/eSATA Enclosure" (HF2-SU3S2) I realise after purchase that eSATA was another option, as I have an eSATA bracket kit which came with mo-bo, a GA-EX58-UD5, which is till ticking along nicely. Thank you very much...lol "Whose the Designated driver for this ride." Having got all the shiny new things out of the box, love that part on a Friday night. However, the driver required from the Orico disk is corrupt, message reads "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy..." Then having visited the Orico site, my product no longer exists. So having found and matched a product that appears to use the same driver compared alongside the folders on the Orico disk, I tried the link which is broke. It now appears, always after you buy the product, that there are reviews on AMOZON having explained the same disappointment. So next I email 'supports@orico.com.cn', and I'l just have to wait to see what more good luck that brings...lol In the mean time I'll setup the eSATA bracket so I can start formatting my 2x 2TB backup drives. Luck for me the Hotway 4-Bay come with both eSATA and USB3.0 options. Anyone out there with advise or experience with this Orico USB 3.0 Desktop PCIe Card?
  15. Thanking you all for writing your responses. I hope you are lwell on this long weekend ;) Having taken all advice and cautions on board, I finally installed the HD7970 into its resting place on my mobo. It's big, bold and beuitiful. However it's also very bad. Having finally seated the GPU in the mobo, I uninstalled Nvidia drivers by using windows device manager, then rebooted and installed latest AMD drivers. Long story s hort, the PC booted into my very 1st BSOD. (Blue screen of death). Researched and found that its wise to use a 3rd party cleaner in SAFE MODE. Following instructions succesfully, I completed what should be a clean install with new drivers -cant confirm right now as away from PC thank God. Since then I have been experiencing what a few AMD users of this card have, as mentioned on various forums, and thats constant headaches with freezing and crashes during game play. Running windows and surfing net all seems to be fine but when running games, or more specifically combat flightsim Cliffs of Dover by Steam install, random freezes occur and have been documented on forums with various theories and solutions. I have tried 3 to 4 different drivers myself, with some holding out a little longer than others, and I still haven't seen a definite and conclusive answer to this phenomena . So my misadventure with this AMD card should probably end here. The only things I can think of trying next is a stress test to see how the card performs, just in case COD and or Steam are causing conflicts. Also might just dropp in the 1000w PSU and fry the thing! No wait, I mean test it on it's own seperate power supply just to satisfy curiosity with regards to my system setup. But I too have doubts that this could be the solution to my painful woes. It will most likely prove to be some kind of driver issue conflict. I plan to update too Win 7 on a single SSD in near future, getting away from Raid 5 currently running off Mo-bo. So, has anyone else, experienced similar issues? Monza has a similar setup , as you pointed out.