Sign in to follow this  
mayabang

Wanted 3 MONITOR DISPLAY

G'day fellow Atomicians,

I saw this video and immediately felt the need to have one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzdn3kuiZM

Over the last few months I have evolved from a AM2 Dual Core on a non-enthiast mobo with a 8600GTS to a Atomic subscribed gamer with a watercooled C2 Q6600 at 3.6G in a HAF with excessive amounts of RED LED fans (so sick of Blue LEDS! They can all die in a fire)... but I digress... I bought a 8800GT which was more than adequate at the time, but now I want something more... much more... 3 even...

I want to know if it is worth doing a 3 22" monitor panoramic display, not just for my e-peen (though it will be throbbing - HAHA I felt dirty even writing that!) but I am unsure of the following:

- I was thinking to have 2 GPUs, so I figure that they would have to be fairly powerful, which brings me to my first question. I have a P5Q-Pro (P45 Chipset) which only supports x8 XFire or a single Nvidia card. Would 2 4870X2s suffice or is that overkill for 3 monitors? or would it be better to invest in a GTX295 or triple 280s and eventually a new sli mobo. I'm thinking the ATI option as I would only need the cards and monitors, probably a new PSU aswell.

I have never had an ATI card because there seems to be copious amounts of Nvidia fanboi'ism and I followed suit. The driver issues scared me tbh. Atomic seem to praise them so highly though... Are they still worth it with the new nvidia cards? I found a Sapphire Radeon 4870X2 for $700 and an EVGA 295 for $850 and suprisingly a XFX 280 for $560!

- My second question (even though my first question was like 5 questions...) is do all games support the super widescreen mode? or is it just a monitor setup option in windows?

Any help would really be appreciated! Any support will probably end up in me doing it (Curse you watercooling forums!)

My specs are as follows:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=8785

Note: I know it is probably unnecessary btw, but so is a Ferrarri!

My ultimate desire is to have 2 identical LCD displays, this also hinders my purchasing ability, as I can never afford to buy 2.

3 would be nice, but I definitely wouldn't have the room... You'd also want some sort of LCD mount, they cost as much as a large LCD themselves.

Edited by smadge1

I've got 2 x 22" and 1 x 26" connected via a monitor bracket.

I couldn't go back to anything less!

Personally mine is driven, but 1 x GTX260 and an 8400GS for the 3rd.

Windows supports multiple displays, Games usually don't.

WinXP only ever supported fullscreen 3D rendering on a single display, Don't know about Vista.

Edited by smadge1