Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Chaos.Lady

Upgrading my phone. Best Phone choice?

I'm about to upgrade my phone. It's pretty seriously desperately needed.

Features I really want are: BlueTooth, Vibration Alerts, Voice Dialling and good PDA stuff (calendaring, todos, alarms, notes etc).

Optional/Not required are: Camera, mp3 player, GPS, radio, torch, Video calling etc

MUST be Telstra NextG compliant (it's all I can get out here).

My price range is negotiable, but obviously want the best phone for the best monies. Cheap is better, but I'm not sure I'll get the features I want in a cheap phone.

Suggestions?

Good PDA stuff?

Palm Treo Pro. It's running Windows Mobile, thus syncs brilliantly with Outlook. Gives you tasks, calendar, contacts sync, and a heap more.

Telstra gave it a "gold standard" or something for rural work, so if you're out in the sticks, it's going to be perfect.

It looks purdy too :)

Are you happy to go on a plan or are you looking for the cheapest phone outright?

That's actually a damned good question before I go spruiking as-yet-unreleased phones. :P

LOL. Tis a very good question.

I'm currently on a $30 plan. Happy to go to $40. $60 is probably out of my price range.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get a decent phone on the $40 plan. So options are good. :)

Reasonably priced outright is okay, but on a plan is fine too.

Make sense?

As someone who recently made a duplicate thread about how awesome google chrome was, I feel I should try and assist if possible.

You have a budget of $30 - $40. You said $60 is to high...ish .So for a cool phone you would free the additional 10 ponies.

Assuming you spend an extra tenner a month on a free phone plan with included whatever. It will no doubt be on a 24 month plan.

24 X 10 is 240 cannoli's if I was to become a touch euro for a few words.

That $240 is on top of 24 (probably for free phones) plan. 24 X 40 that is $960 + $240 chaching Grand total $1200!

Now after this 1200 assuming your plan is wicked you should pay $0 for calls (and no doubt a bunch of data you will need on your PDA Camera whatever)

I work in satellite phones and rent cellular phones every day for every country in the world and the whole thing is a jip.

For $20 a month you should get yourself a wicked BYO phone plan with data and on Next G which is hell fast data network by a factor of a few at least

compared to everyones else's mobile data speeds in aus out of wireless range at least... So the argument for a non Telstra service is out.

How about you browse some cnet video reviews a buch of other sites and find some cool phones. The only thing to look out for other than that looks cool

is they need to be 850 MHz frequency compatible if you know what that is you can weed out any that don't clearly say it but anything that looks cool

and feature packed may have a ver for some other non backwards country.

On a good $20 BYO plan you should pay little to nothing extra (even though you always do[it's just a factor of your plan size smaller plan smaller addition])

Over 24 months thats $480 dollars! Sounds like a lot but you were going to give away at least $1200 over 24 months. By witch time your phone will

be quite frankly shit! if it lasts a year. If it lasts longer you bought a phone with features you don't use you are an atomican thrash that thing for 12 months

and burn it.

That leaves you 2 option's have a crappy phone for 2 years and in case of drastic failure 14 months in be completed stuffed and still have $400 to shell out.

Or find a phone that you like online don't worry about the listed price or shop botting for the cheapest price. Just find one you like under $1200K** online description price.

Almost anything other than an iphone big can be had for sub $700 ish most phones you might pick probably have a true list price of 3 to 500 max .

Pick one or send me a PM with a few I will give you some good outright prices and then recommend you a good TnextG 12 month BYO plan for $20 a month.

For $400 - $500 you can have 12 months of phone and plan that should be reasonable on BYO for allowances of calls and data. Now that is only 12 months but

you may have been willing to shell out $600 for 12 months on a free phone plan. You could have another phone and 12 months of plan for less than that and 100 in your sky rocket.

All the phones we buy from any company or person in Australia come from the same place. How the prices arrive at what we pay would make the mind boggle.

Bloody jip the lot of it!

Think of it like internets I want lots cheap and reasonable because its an expensive I am will to pay for. Internet > mobile imo but we all shell out for both anyway don't we!

*EDIT*

** I think that looks rather comical after a huge rant on mobiles take $1200K as 12 hunji Shall leave as it.

The only thing to look out for other than that looks cool is they need to be 850 MHz UMTS frequency compatible

850Mhz GSM will do nothing for you. UMTS is essentially 3G (850mhz UMTS is Telstra's nextG)

Very interesting post there Pantsmonkey.

hmm that I mate 9502 can be had for $871ish outright. That is a of money and I know little of the phone some of the more expensive phones may be worth a freebie plan or at least running the numbers.

I will have a look today as I am at work I will even brave a call to dealer support to bug them about BYO plans.

Thanks to Pantsmonkey's first quote i am more confused than ever.

@ Chaos.Lady: Keep me posted as to what you do. I currently live in the counrty but will be moving to Perth next year. I am currently with Telstra (Next G) on Pre-Paid. However I am going to change companies next year so i get cheapers calls/sms/WAP/etc. I am also looking for a phone that i could use but i need it to be compatible with Next G (850mHz UMTS) so that when I go to visit my parentals i can chuck my old Next G sim in and still get coverage.

The other option is to go with another company, probably Optus or 3 and get a non-Next G phone, and just hold onto my Next G phone and use that when I go home.

/think

Thanks guys. :)

Yeah, I'm still a little confused myself, those numbers don't seem to add up. I need to go over it a little more to work it all out.

I have another couple of weeks on the plan, so I'll let you know what I go with.

Thanks guys. :)

Yeah, I'm still a little confused myself, those numbers don't seem to add up. I need to go over it a little more to work it all out.

I have another couple of weeks on the plan, so I'll let you know what I go with.

I just recently bought a HTC Touch Diamond...I will let you know how i get on.

The Touch Diamond is great.

But the Treo Pro has better NextG support, if I recall correctly. A nicer chip in it. Telstra like it anyway, giving it the "gold standard". It seems to have been released too.

I can confirm it does have Voice Commander which will mean Voice Dialling i hope it has tasks, Word Mobile, Alarms with Vibrate alert. :-).

You could always look at the Manual at the HTC Website :-)

But the Treo Pro has better NextG support, if I recall correctly. A nicer chip in it. Telstra like it anyway, giving it the "gold standard". It seems to have been released too.

Was looking at this one too, seems like a nice phone.

Has the HTC G1 been released yet?

It looks like I'm going to have to ditch the idea of affording a PDA type phone. :(

I'm looking at a Motorola V9 or a Nokia E51 because both can be had on a $40 plan.

I couldn't make monkey's numbers add up at all, so I'm going to stick with a phone that can be had on the plan.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Motorola, simply because the feel of it seems nicer and I like the clamshell designs, but I'm open to information. :)

It looks like I'm going to have to ditch the idea of affording a PDA type phone. :(

I'm looking at a Motorola V9 or a Nokia E51 because both can be had on a $40 plan.

I couldn't make monkey's numbers add up at all, so I'm going to stick with a phone that can be had on the plan.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Motorola, simply because the feel of it seems nicer and I like the clamshell designs, but I'm open to information. :)

Do Telstra have the E71?

Vodafone have it free on a $49 plan.

Good, solid phone with a huge battery and everything you need, the white one even looks quite stylish with a white leather case and wrist strap.

Blackberry Bold could also be the way to go.

No E71 and no blackberry. :(

The V9 is still looking the go unless someone can talk me out of it within the next 2 weeks. :(

No E71 and no blackberry. :(

The V9 is still looking the go unless someone can talk me out of it within the next 2 weeks. :(

The V9 is a good phone, very solidly built, slim and small.

The external screen is large and allows you to read text messages without opening the flip, you can even shoot off a reply template by pushing the side buttons.

When playing music it has touch controls so you can skip tracks etc.

I bought the e51 nearly a year ago and still very pleased with it as a phone.

I don't use all the features (who does use every feature of a phone these days) but it does what I use it for well - phone (both mobile and VOIP through my home wifi network), sms, pop email, calendar/clock and occasional web browsing.

Pros:

Robust - well made, stainless steel surround/back - I;ve been carting it aroudn for 11 months, and while not overly harsh on it it gets kept in my pocket with occasional other crap, and gets thrown on my desk with a lot of crap, and it pretty much looks near-new.

Battery life is good - I only charge it for about 1-2 hours once every week, (although I don't use bluetooth/wifi all the time)

Compact for a 3G phone - I'm not a big fan of wider PDA styles, or thicker flip phones

Good sized buttons

Most of the inbuilt software works well. The VOIP and pop email client was easy to configure with my non-telstra providers, although it took a little bit of work to find which driver would work with my network printer, and it doesn't to the best job with coloured webpages and my monochrome printer.

Cons:

Crap camera - poor res, poor quality, no flash

Can't video conference (if you care about it) - there's only a camera on the back.

Well, I've upgraded. I found the LG KF700Q which doesn't have voice dialling which I really wanted, but I love the size of the screen, I love the size of the buttons (they are actually usable). It's a great looking phone, the voice quality seems good, the camera is fiddly but that's not a huge deal and it seems fairly feature packed with the stuff that I will use (other than voice dial :P).

I love the shortcut dial system which gives quick access to features that I use most. It's got an SD slot so I can load up a micro with a bunch of stuff if I decide to be bothered. Very easy to navigate

Battery life is fairly mediocre, however given I was charging my last phone twice a day, it's bliss. :P

And it was on the $40 plan with no outlay. It's probably a crap phone with major flaws I haven't encountered yet, but it's just so darn PURDY. :)

I'm happy so far.

Well, I've upgraded. I found the LG KF700Q which doesn't have voice dialling which I really wanted, but I love the size of the screen, I love the size of the buttons (they are actually usable). It's a great looking phone, the voice quality seems good, the camera is fiddly but that's not a huge deal and it seems fairly feature packed with the stuff that I will use (other than voice dial :P).

I love the shortcut dial system which gives quick access to features that I use most. It's got an SD slot so I can load up a micro with a bunch of stuff if I decide to be bothered. Very easy to navigate

Battery life is fairly mediocre, however given I was charging my last phone twice a day, it's bliss. :P

And it was on the $40 plan with no outlay. It's probably a crap phone with major flaws I haven't encountered yet, but it's just so darn PURDY. :)

I'm happy so far.

It looks very nice, LG are renowned for fairly poor battery life, as long as you get a car charger you should be right.

Yep, I picked up a car charger when I got the phone. :)

I still love it. It's sexy as hell and so much fun to fiddle with.

If you result to buying a new one. It is better if you have a list of models or brands then compared it to each other and look for the best.

It looks very nice, LG are renowned for fairly poor battery life, as long as you get a car charger you should be right.

Yes and no, the latest batch with the latest software aren't too bad.

I know my KS20 is good. :P