robzy

Chernobyl

I have finally had a chance to choose some pictures and throw them on the internet. There's about a hundred or so, most of which have a simple caption explaining what is in the picture. A few people were asking about pictures, so here's the linkage :)

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/robzyb/Chernobyl

It was a truly interesting experience. Seeing the sarcophagus up close was a bit harrowing, and even though you couldn't actually feel the radiation in Pripyat you just picked up this subconscious sense that something wasn't quite right there.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Envy levels through the roof.

I've seen these photos before, on a website that's pretty old so the resolutions are tiny. This is alot better.

Edited by nitro.vo

"hallowing" or "harrowing"?

(I'm guessing the background radiation didn't actually make you holy. ;p )

Great pics... would have been quite an experience.

I don't suppose you took a gieger counter with you? =O

So you were actually allowed within the exclusion zone? What did that take to organise?

-A-

Awesome - thanks for posting!

Is it ok to drive through an area with 95x the normal background radiation level...?

That would be that meter thing clearly showing in at least a third of the photos, and mentioned in a third of the captions as 'the geiger counter'. Edited by just_some_guy

Awesome - thanks for posting!

Is it ok to drive through an area with 95x the normal background radiation level...?

I would guess so. Not like you're stopping for a picnic and to eat the snow.

Not like you're stopping for a picnic and to eat the snow.

So you have to ingest radioactive substances now in order to be irradiated?

Cause, when I was a boy, radiation actually radiated...

So you were actually allowed within the exclusion zone? What did that take to organise?

Typo fixed up :) I didn't take my own gieger counter, although the guide was carrying two with him. I believe one of them also had a dosimeter (measuring the total dose of radiation), and upon leaving we were scanned to ensure we weren't unknowingly carrying anything nasty with us. I was allowed within both exclusion zones, right up to 100m from the reactor itself. Thankfuly the tour agency took care of the documentation I needed, because it would have been a nightmare (if not impossible) to do myself. The only requirement on me was to bring my passport, which of course I forgot when I got in the car :P

To drive through? Yes. To live in? Not really :P

(A couple of extra photos are being uploaded, nothing special though, just ones including me)

Rob.

Not like you're stopping for a picnic and to eat the snow.

So you have to ingest radioactive substances now in order to be irradiated?

Cause, when I was a boy, radiation actually radiated...

Did you not notice the stopping part of what I wrote? They're zipping through the area. They're not stopping. Way to completely miss the point. Once again living up to your avatar... Edited by FAZZ Gundam

Ah right, fair enough.

Wow, kind of amazed they let you that close... must be pretty trusting of the integrity of, and protection offered by, the sarcophagus. AFAIK there's still a fuckload of hot material in there.

Just as long as you knocked off some Rad-Away on your way out.

(Wait, what.... too much Fallout 3, lol)

-A-

Ah right, fair enough.

Wow, kind of amazed they let you that close... must be pretty trusting of the integrity of, and protection offered by, the sarcophagus. AFAIK there's still a fuckload of hot material in there.

-A-

Too much fallout would be asking if he took Rad-X on the way in ;)

Speaking of TV shows that've been on Aussie TV; did anyone see the SBS cooking show about food in the danger zone (or something like that?).

One of the episodes I saw was the guy going in to Chernobyl. His producer told him the BBC was forbidding him to consume anything, (presumably for insurance reasons), but invariably, he got in to some vodka at some old survivalist couples home, (plus Ukranian troops), and had all sorts of food.

He was sick afterwards, but survived.

Ah right, fair enough.

-A-

Too much fallout would be asking if he took Rad-X on the way in ;)

Very true. Best I get back on with my questing. Poor Dogmeat must be getting lonely without me.

-A-

Did you not notice the stopping part of what I wrote?

Well yes I did. I also noticed the 'eating the snow' part.

If you say stupid shit, I suppose people are going to notice and respond to it, huh.

By the way, 'whizzing through an area' - if indeed that's what Robzy did - is no doubt fine at certain level of radiation. My question was: is it safe at 95x the background level?

Way to miss the point, huh.

Did you not notice the stopping part of what I wrote?

Well yes I did. I also noticed the 'eating the snow' part.

If you say stupid shit, I suppose people are going to notice and respond to it, huh.

By the way, 'whizzing through an area' - if indeed that's what Robzy did - is no doubt fine at certain level of radiation. My question was: is it safe at 95x the background level?

Way to miss the point, huh.

It's called emphasis for effect, you might find out what it means one day. People notice if you say stupid shit indeed. I notice it from you a lot.

It's called emphasis for effect

Really? That's what it's called? Cause I thought it was called "saying stupid shit in response to a reasonable question".

People notice if you say stupid shit indeed. I notice it from you a lot.

And yet, here we are in this thread, and you're the one talking about 'eating radioactive snow' in response to my reasonable question about whether it's safe to drive through an area with 95x background radiation.

So, in this little microcosm, FAZZ Gundam's stupid shit = 1. Just Some Guy's stupid shit = 0.

Perhaps you're really good at noticing stupid shit, because you inevitably read what you write.

Perhaps when you accuse other people of "saying stupid shit", that's really just another example of you "saying stupid shit".

Edited by just_some_guy

We really need a flame-on/bitch-fight forum.

Or something...

>_>

So anyway, back to the visiting-of-post-nuclear-reactor-meltdown-areas discussion!

-A-

We really need a flame-on/bitch-fight forum.

Or something...

>_>

So anyway, back to the visiting-of-post-nuclear-reactor-meltdown-areas discussion!

-A-

Indeed. What I'm curious about i the sound, or lack thereof. How strict were they about what buildings you could and couldnt enter? I saw in one of the photos furniture in a hotel room, could you not go in due to hotspots or?