Sign in to follow this  
GhostWhoWalks

2 people to access a single mail service?

Two employees both working from home. An externally hosted mail service.

Both employess plan on using outlook to access the mail. There will be multiple email addresses that need to be checked and replied to.

Is there an easy and low cost solution to allow those two people to be synched up so that when one person answers a mail the other can tell and so on?

I have very little knowledge about networking solutions, so layman's terms would be swell. Heh.

I see this kind of behaviour often, and it almost always ends in tears.

Let's say they're both looking after support@arsehats.com, instead of them both logging into the support@ mailbox, they should both hard their own accounts. john@ and jack@ for example, and support@ should be an alias that forwards a copy of each mail to the two accounts.

I then imagine it's trivial to configure Outlook to always CC or BCC all sent mail to support@ so the other will see that it's been replied to.

That said, even this is kinda gross as it doesn't prevent poor John writing a 1,000 word reply to an email, to then have Jack's reply arrive in his mailbox as he's about to send it.

What they really want is a trouble-ticket system which emails them when a request comes in, and then marks the job as assigned when one of them goes and starts to attend to it.

There's no shortage of open-source trouble-ticket systems. Google will help you here.

If you can use Exchange, why wouldn't you have a support mailbox where all mail is forwarded to, and both users add the mailbox to their Outlook?

If you can do that, setting up folders inside the mailbox for multi user email management is easy.

But based on other people's responses I think I'm missing something...

If you can use Exchange ...

But based on other people's responses I think I'm missing something...

"An externally hosted mail service"

I would assume it's a vanilla ISP or 3rd party hosted service - not an exchange environment.

I'm prob just going to rent exchange server from a company. I've done a bit of research and it seems the most efficient manner. Thanks for the assistance though. Looks like it'll be the only real nonwork around way.

Edited by GhostWhoWalks

Do you need to sync contacts though? If not, IMAP is the lowest cost way of having multiple people accessing the same email account with whatever changes they do being reflected centrally.

Outlook 2003 is pretty crap although 2007 handles IMAP much better.

I don't think we would need to synch contacts. It's never been an issue. Emails come into a few mailboxes, we all action them. So as one person is answering them the others need to see what's being completed so they don't double or triple up on the same mail.

To my knowledge you still can't do that with Exchange nor IMAP.

eg, person A opens an email to reply to, person B then opens it to reply to, person A sends the reply, person B sends the reply.

You probably need an issue tracking system that will lock emails when they're open:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...racking_systems

*agrees

This would be a better way of handling this. Exchange or IMAP would be beneficial only if you were assigning one staff member at a time to the task of checking email and responding.