Sign in to follow this  
jakedamuss87

Massive Sound upgrade to my PC

Hi all,

At the moment I have got Logitech X-530 speakers running off onboard sound on my gigabyte x48t-DQ6 motherboard, and im looking for a upgrade in the sound department because ..basically I want the best sound I can get for a reasonable price (mainly for movies and gaming). At the moment im looking at Logitech Z-5500 with Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium sound card, am I overspending here? is it worth just getting the speakers and not getting a soundcard with it? let me know if you could.

Thanks

That'd be OK, but what's your budget?

about $600, Im only going by what my mate has told me (he has the setup) and he says its excellent but its pretty biased hearing it from him

It's clear that PCI is the cheaper option, that's all.

http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/index.php?cPath=255_32

Ok thanks ! I called up the place and they gave me $40 off the PCIe because of a delay with the logitech z5500 speakers. After many hours of research I just learnt that the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium PCIe Fatality Pro is pretty shit with vista because creative can't be bothered to make better drives ....doh

Creative strike again :P

I recall talk of third party driver that work well.......I think *scratches head* someone else round here might remember better than I.

Not sure if they work with a PCI-e version, or if that is even an issue.

Edited by datafast69

I find that logitech are better at their *cheaper range* of speakers, but i wouldnt bother with the Z5500's, why not look at a amp and speakers?... I have Z2300's (basically the same as the Z5500 but only two satelites and no contol panel) and replaced the crapy satelites with some car speakers in old akai speaker boxes... they flog the living shit out of the original satelites

I find that logitech are better at their *cheaper range* of speakers, but i wouldnt bother with the Z5500's, why not look at a amp and speakers?... I have Z2300's (basically the same as the Z5500 but only two satelites and no contol panel) and replaced the crapy satelites with some car speakers in old akai speaker boxes... they flog the living shit out of the original satelites

I had a amp and speakers as my last setup, yeah it was good but it just takes too much time and mucking around. I heard the Z5500's and I was really impressed with the sound, but I am definately not disagreeing that a amp and speakers are a great setup too.

I had a amp and speakers as my last setup, yeah it was good but it just takes too much time and mucking around. I heard the Z5500's and I was really impressed with the sound, but I am definately not disagreeing that a amp and speakers are a great setup too.

Well, going from an amp/ speakers setup to what you are suggesting is a Massive Sound Downgrade.

(Except for the soundcard part......)

Creative strike again :P

I recall talk of third party driver that work well.......I think *scratches head* someone else round here might remember better than I.

Not sure if they work with a PCI-e version, or if that is even an issue.

Creative have fixed many of the problems they were having with their drives for Vista. I have a creative Xfi extream music card which I am pretty happy with now. I was having major problems in the past with drivers and getting the console working in Vista but that is now all fixed and the sounds is pretty crisp. Check out this site as the sound cards have had pretty good reviews.

http://www.htomega.com/

Only problem here is that they dont have PCI-e cards yet.

Hope this helps.

I don't find the amp being the problem... I find the crappy satelites fuck everything up. Today i just went and got some Kenwood 50 dollar speakers and replaced the olde crapy ford (pulled fomr a EF falcon... they were pioneer i think?) speakers i had... MASSIVE difference, and yet going from the logitech to the ford speakers were a massive difference!.

Mind you, the Z5500 and Z2300 have very similar satelites.

Edited by adam93

Hi JakeDamuss,

OK here is my personal experience with Computer audio. Had the x-530... great value for money! Had the Creative Gigaworks S750... piece of shit... amp started dropping channels and now just 2 speakers out of the 7 work WITH up mix on. I think it is the worst audio system for PC... read the reviews... most die soon after purchase! either completely or slowly until it ends up like mine.

But this isn't a hate rant about creative speakers... I then upgraded to 2 x z5500 systems which kicks ass! but one of my systems died after a few months of very heavy house shaking usage. These are hardcore and the control pod is way better to use than the creative one. Read the reviews... awesome systems and i highly recommend them! I just need to get around to the warranty for mine >_< 1 still works great :D God i was pumping them hard and for a long time the night one of them gave out and died.

Good luck!

Regards, LordNetburst

Thanks all, sorry for the late reply..I have been away rocking out to Alice in Chains, In Flames and Lamb of God :P. Just to clear up my amp and speakers setup is a very cheap setup with a second hand amp...so it doesn't sound very good anymore. Thanks for all the input, been a great help !

if you have the money go for it ... but just warning you if you live in a block of units, you wont be able to use the Z5500 to its full potential :D