if your looking for bang for buck and overclockability then i agree but dont cry when your mates quad machine is still kicking your dual cores ass 5 years from now.

5 years from now?

Pretty sure everyone will have upgraded by then ;)

5 years we will see true multi core scaling

Unfortunately I don't think that MS's multi-core development will fully available in Windows 7 when it is released.

there are already some multithreaded games out there and the upcoming farcry 2 will be too and when you put gaming physics into the equation the more cores the better imo.

If its for gaming then I'll modify the specs of my CPU. With this i can select the best equipments that can support high quality games or programs.

i've always assumed that having a fast graphics card is more important than having the fastest cpu for gaming. until more games can take advantage of more than 1-2 cpu cores, i would want to spend more money on a decent graphic card setup and mobo than paying too much on any high end processor that won't deliver as much of an improvement over your standard mid range models.

That's a good observation, and completely correct, however in modern computing (such as games) the GPU requires a lot of CPU power, and it's important to have a good all-round system.

it is important to have an all round fast system, that is quite true, however the point i was implying is that the graphics card as of late are much better at taking over most of the computations that the cpu once had to do.

wouldn't it be much better to do everything on the gfx card locally like physics etc, where a cpu has little chance attaining the same performance levels? especially now as most cards are echoing multi-core capabilites.

If you have a good gfx card though, you can find yourself bottlenecked by the CPU. Such as myself. I have a 9800GX2 and it's great, but performance increases so drastically when I OC my CPU that's it's just crazy. In reality, I've wasted some $$$ on my gfx card as it has potential that's simply not being used due to my lowly 3.15GHZ oc'd q6600.

ive no idea

Download CPUZ 1.47:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

That'll show you the stepping and revision of your CPU on the CPU tab.

The E8600 tends to have better overclocking cores, where the E8400 and E8500 are about identical, from what I've seen. I think you'll be quite happy with the gaming performance of your new CPU.

5 years ago people were saying we'd now be fully utilizing multiple cores. It hasn't happened. And now people are saying that in 5 years we'll be fully utilizing multiple cores. I wouldn't hold my breath. :)

if your looking for bang for buck and overclockability then i agree but dont cry when your mates quad machine is still kicking your dual cores ass 5 years from now.

5 years?

you gotta be kidding!

I'll be retiring my E8400 in about a month and getting an i7/X58 rig (I had an E6400 before the E8400 - I've never had a CPU for more than 2 years, generally it's been 6-12 months on average)

5 years?

you gotta be kidding!

I'll be retiring my E8400 in about a month and getting an i7/X58 rig (I had an E6400 before the E8400 - I've never had a CPU for more than 2 years, generally it's been 6-12 months on average)

Enthusiasts tend to upgrade their systems fairly often. But the general public expects 3-5 years from a system.. and sometimes much more. I still get P3s and K7s in for repairs quite often. It amazes me how many 7 yr+ old systems there are still running out there. And people don't seem to want to part with them.

But everything I've seen leads me to believe that no OS (including I7) nor software will be widely available to take full advantage of multiple cores in the near future.

It keeps coming back to what you do most with your system. If you primarily use the few programs designed to use multi-cores (video encoding, a few games, etc.), that's the way to go. If you rarely use those apps, you'll get more done with a faster Core 2 and save $ in the process.

I'm dreaming of a I7 myself. But unless they're very competitive in price and more apps become available for them I might just stick with my E8400 for quite a while. Hard to give up a 4.2GHz on cheap air CPU for something slower on most everything I do. :)

Enthusiasts tend to upgrade their systems fairly often. But the general public expects 3-5 years from a system.. and sometimes much more. I still get P3s and K7s in for repairs quite often. It amazes me how many 7 yr+ old systems there are still running out there. And people don't seem to want to part with them.

fair enough but my point before was that where the dual lacks the quads has advantage in multithreaded apps/games when they are released even ten years from now, nonetheless engineers are making the move already.

fair enough but my point before was that where the dual lacks the quads has advantage in multithreaded apps/games when they are released even ten years from now, nonetheless engineers are making the move already.

No worries. Engineers are changing because CadCam and the like do use all cores now. :)

ive no idea

Download CPUZ 1.47:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

That'll show you the stepping and revision of your CPU on the CPU tab.

The E8600 tends to have better overclocking cores, where the E8400 and E8500 are about identical, from what I've seen. I think you'll be quite happy with the gaming performance of your new CPU.

5 years ago people were saying we'd now be fully utilizing multiple cores. It hasn't happened. And now people are saying that in 5 years we'll be fully utilizing multiple cores. I wouldn't hold my breath. :)

its still sitting in the pretty blue box with the intel cooler at the moment. i just got a motherboard this morning and the final part oa a graphics card which ill get next week. i hope

ok. so. ive narrowed it down to two choices

Q9550 Intel Core 2 Quad @ $435

E8600 Intel Core 2 Duo @ $330

i cant quite decide yet. ive been kinda leaning towards the Quad core cos i when i get in to it, i do a moderate amount of multimedia encoding (mostly video). and cos i plan for this comp to last me for a long time.

but.. i just dont know yet

wow E8600 Intel Core 2 Duo @ $330 - thats a good price

i was quoted for $429 at msy.

where do you guys normally shop for parts?

i'm using E 8600 and OC @ 4.5 Ghz without any problem...

and it works almost every latest game..

trust me, dont buy the expensive CPU... if you cant afford, it will rip your money off..

cheers

How dude?

People buy more expensive for their better OC ability. That is, more money buys a higher multiplier up to the point the multiplier is unlocked. And if people don't OC, the expensive item will get them the best performance at stock.

How dude?

People buy more expensive for their better OC ability. That is, more money buys a higher multiplier up to the point the multiplier is unlocked. And if people don't OC, the expensive item will get them the best performance at stock.

He was referring to the same CPU being more expensive elsewhere, and saying that buying the cheaper one at the other place will not be a bad decision, as he gets a great OC from his.

@skatey, what did you end up getting? I wanted to say get an E8600 and OC it to 4Ghz to fully utilize your GPU.

i ended up getting the E8500

cool, goodluck and don't forget posting your OC results once you are done with the beast.

im done with building it now. see here http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3717

what is the stepping? sl9bl i think is the E0 which oc's better.

i did a dump of the cpuz program. with screenshots. CPUZ + screenie dump

ok. so. ive narrowed it down to two choices

Q9550 Intel Core 2 Quad @ $435

E8600 Intel Core 2 Duo @ $330

i cant quite decide yet. ive been kinda leaning towards the Quad core cos i when i get in to it, i do a moderate amount of multimedia encoding (mostly video). and cos i plan for this comp to last me for a long time.

but.. i just dont know yet

wow E8600 Intel Core 2 Duo @ $330 - thats a good price

i was quoted for $429 at msy.

where do you guys normally shop for parts?

since someone posted it on forums here somewhere.. i use http://www.staticice.com.au/ great for when u know exactly what u want. atleast it was for me. had top melbourne stores in there for me

If you want to spend under 1000 bucks id go for the Intel core i7s FTW!

I think people are better off with a Core 2 for now, not to mention you'll be spending well over $1000 to get a motherboard, CPU and RAM that works for the i7.

Not to mention there isn't much benefit in gaming