Sign in to follow this  
Bolter01

Recomended Headphones & Speakers

I have ordered a ASUS Xonar D2X and would like some recommendations on a good set of headphones with mic and also a set of 5.1's. I currently have the AudioFX Pro 5+1 Force Feedback Gaming Headset and Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System.

With the arrival of the sound card I am in the market for an upgrade of the above for online FPS gaming. Up to $500 for one or the other. Suggestions please.

The PC350's are one of the worst headphones I've heard in recent times for their price.

If you want decent headphones you're far better off getting a set and then getting a mic afterwards.

It's either convenience or quality basically...

For long gaming sessions (Ii play cod for around 6-8 hours a day as i'm in a compeditive team) the best headphoes i've ever had are the Steelseries Siberias. They are comfortabe, and unlike most gaming headsets they are of "open" style, so less noise isolation, but better airflow so that your ears don't get sweaty or sore. and tbh i never have a problem with noise coming in from the background. They come with a mic, but it isn't built onto the headset it has it's own cord with a clip, I just clip mine onto the headset's cord. This also means that you can just have it on your shirt when your listening to music or whatever and talking to friends on vent.

I have ordered a ASUS Xonar D2X and would like some recommendations on a good set of headphones with mic and also a set of 5.1's. I currently have the AudioFX Pro 5+1 Force Feedback Gaming Headset and Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System.

With the arrival of the sound card I am in the market for an upgrade of the above for online FPS gaming. Up to $500 for one or the other. Suggestions please.

Speaker wise, you can't go past the Logitech Z5500D's I have had a set for a few years and they still amaze me with the quality of the sound they put out. The Bass is simply phenomenal for a set of PC Speakers. But they are big. A great thing about them is the control pod, which can take all three, Optical, CoAx, Direct analogue connections and then you can switch between them.

i.e. I play my games on direct analogue (because some games don't have Digital 5.1 surround via SPDIF) and my movies on the Optical as a passthrough to the decoder in the control pod. + the Headphone port auto mutes the speakers when you connect a set of cans. So at night when my wife is home I can hook in the 'phones and play, but when she is out I blast away with the speakers out loud. They are awesome. The SUB rattles the windows.

I love my headphones (Audiotechnica ATH A900) but no mic, so you would have to buy a mic to go with them. I suppose If I had to choose between them and I was not a LAN fan, I would go the speakers. They are more versatile in terms of use i.e. you could use them for your PC, or you could hook them up to your stereo, or you could hook them up to your HTPC, iPod etc. Whereas the Headphones are only for your personal space. Besides, for gaming you could probably get away with a 100 set of headphone Steel Series 5Hv2 and the logitechs will cost about 350 - 400 so it should just meet your budget.

I also have a set of Razer Mako 2.1 THX certified speakers which are awesome (attached to my HTPC) they give great sound and many people comment on the mushroom like appearance. They fit well into any HTPC/PC set up. They are cheaper than the Logitechs and give far superior sound to your current set up (I have a set of X530's gathering dust in a box in my garage, so i can compare). check out the reviews, atomic reviewed them and gave them a good rating if i recall.

Have fun, Audio upgrading is something you will really notice.

_sl1nger

You really (well I didn't) notice poor audio till you get some great audio! That Asus Xonar is fantastic! I am afraid I went the easy option and got some Sennheiser 350's and I'm impressed. I am still using the logitech X530 5.1's (before the wife goes to bed), but Man! there are so many sounds in games I have never heard before. I spent 10 min's in QWET just listening to the hum & crackle of the railgun & lightning gun!

Sound was the last thing to upgrade. I've always used onboard.

What a difference!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Good to hear.

My colleague got some Audio Technica ATH-A900's and reckons they aren't bassy enough. He listens to dance/pumping bass kinda music predominately though.

Steelseries Siberia? Are they the same as the Icemat Siberia? If so - I've heard they are absolute garbage for anything but FPS games. They appear to have been tuned for picking up footsteps etc in games like Counter-Strike.

I'm using Beyerdynamic DTX-800's which I am quite happy with for $130, but with your budget I wouldn't have recommended them. Bound to be something better.

If I were to get a new pair I'd probably go for something without a mic and just use either a clip-on or desk microphone. Limits the choices a bit too much in my opinion.

Good to hear.

My colleague got some Audio Technica ATH-A900's and reckons they aren't bassy enough. He listens to dance/pumping bass kinda music predominately though.

That’s very surprising to hear, first time I heard the a900's coming from sennhesier 590's was that they had too much bass, I found the actual soundcard had a lot to do with it, I just didn't like the sound coming from one of the earlier audigy cards.

I'm currently using the a900ti's which do have more controlled bass. I've never found myself wanting more low end though (amped or unamped), it would just sound unbalanced.

Good to hear.

That’s very surprising to hear, first time I heard the a900's coming from sennhesier 590's was that they had too much bass, I found the actual soundcard had a lot to do with it, I just didn't like the sound coming from one of the earlier audigy cards.

I'm currently using the a900ti's which do have more controlled bass. I've never found myself wanting more low end though (amped or unamped), it would just sound unbalanced.

Yeah I still think it's got something to do with how he's configured them. He clarified it with me and said it's not very bassy, and if he turns the bass up they crackle. He's running an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.

sennheiser HD280 + lapel mic

Works a treat, especialy if you thread the mic lead though the coil of the 280s

<3 my HD280s. However for gaming I prefer my PC150 - smaller, lighter, with mic.

Yeah I still think it's got something to do with how he's configured them. He clarified it with me and said it's not very bassy, and if he turns the bass up they crackle. He's running an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.

Sounds like there's something wrong there, that or he's just into doof doof muddy bass.

Sounds like there's something wrong there, that or he's just into doof doof muddy bass.

The latter, and he's not particularly interested in troubleshooting it further than changing the bass from 99% to 100%.

Good thing it aint my problem!