Sign in to follow this  
joey2810

What is a powerful wireless pc adapter

It's a two-sided question.

While I don't have first hand experience wih draft-N wireless gear, it certainly sounds like it'd be where you want to start looking.

Get yourself a wireless-N card, as well as a wireless-N access point, and if you're gaming, then you should definitely look into an AP that can do MIMO as it greatly improves performance. Someone else here will hopefully be able to clarify if MIMO is just a AP side thing, or whether it's something you also need to look for when buying the wireless card for your PC. (I think it's just the AP side.)

If you use ADSL, I'd recommend you look into the Billion wireless ADSL router options and see if any of their draft-N models do MIMO.

MIMO is both side's (router and client).

If you are gaming or streaming data (music/videos) under Vista a MIMO capable card would be recommended as you cant disable the Wireless Zero Config like you can in XP (causes the wireless connection to scan for a more suitable network every 60sec - which creates a lag spike)

I would get an 802.11g/n card which supports MIMO.

I would recommend a "D-Link DWA-547 RAngeBooster N650 PCI Adapter" or the "D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme NTM Wireless LAN PCI Express Adapter " because of a good experience with D-Link wireless.

I echo the above advise with these caveats:

* Avoid D-Link gear wherever possible

* Stick to a cabled setup where you can - it's always less of a pain in the arse than wireless

As said before, cabled is always the best solution for gaming. If you do need to go wireless, though, check out the TP-Link wn851n. It''s pretty much the cheapest PCI wireless N card out there ($59 from CPL), and it's a solid performer.