Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bowiee

Eee pc

Now I already own a laptop but out of curiosity I have been looking at the specs of the Eee pc to see what use they could be. Now it seems to me that with their low specs (compared with a full size lappy) they are only good for net surfing and note taking. yes they may play music but an mp3 player will do that better and cheaper.

It seems to me that if you need real computing on the go that a full size lappy is the best soultion.

So my question is what do you owners of Eee pc's use them for ? Being atomicans I am sure you have pushed your little pc to it's limits, so I am interested to see why you spent around $500.00 and do you REALLY get any good use out of it, or is it just a fad toy for you to play with ?

I used my E1000H for browsing and media on the move, so when I was on a 3hr train ride from Syd to Newcastle, I could watch some media and play the odd game of WoW before WOTLK.

I now have an N10, so it is my main portable machine, but I use the EEE for watching media on the can, playing flash based games when I am bored or just basic admin on my network.

I use the N10 for work as well as play now, as it is great to have with me when I am on call.

My Wind is much smaller and lighter and cheaper than my MBP 15" and as such it is carried everywhere.

While I am about to increase the HDD to 250GB and install some more RAM, the only other thing I have actually done to it is dual boot with Ubuntu (which I don't really use TBH).

Mostly, the netbook presents a much more portable solution. Putting it into a small crumpler bag gives me a legitimate reason to possess a "man bag" that doesn't look odd. The netbook, 3G modem and enough space for wallet, keys and other crap without carrying a massive bag is a win.

I have it on me mainly as I find it handy to have a notebook when I am out and about. It allows me to remote access work if I need to fix something or remote access my home network if I need to cue up or check on the status of a torrent.

I have been a lover of open office for some time so it works if I need word processing or spreadsheet access on the run for whatever reason. If I am out shopping, while the iPhone presents a reasonable mobile device, the Wind is so much better at actually researching a potential purchase/ general forum browsing etc ... when sitting down with a coffee or lunch.

With the reduced weight, it also means it's taken everywhere. Having the ability to fire up some kids shows makes a great distraction for a restless 3 year old at a doctor's office/ restaurant etc ... As he gets older, I will most likely have some basic games for him to play on it too.

At a friend's place, it's also handy to copy files or provide files they may be interested in. While a portable HDD is also needed, the upgraded HDD I plan to put in will help with this.

Out and about, it also serves as a nice quick way to show a group of friends something you may have been telling them about on the net or whatnot. Again, a smartphone is not too bad but it's not the same nor any smarphone currently as fully functional as a computer.

Lastly, it serves as a tool when trying to fix someone else's computer. It has some diagnostic software, data recovery and with some extra tools I carry in a bag in the car works pretty well.

Now I already own a laptop but out of curiosity I have been looking at the specs of the Eee pc to see what use they could be. Now it seems to me that with their low specs (compared with a full size lappy) they are only good for net surfing and note taking. yes they may play music but an mp3 player will do that better and cheaper.

What else do I need to do? :P

So my question is what do you owners of Eee pc's use them for ? Being atomicans I am sure you have pushed your little pc to it's limits, so I am interested to see why you spent around $500.00 and do you REALLY get any good use out of it, or is it just a fad toy for you to play with ?

While traveling overseas my Acer Aspire One was priceless, it ensured that I was always connected and could keep in touch with... everybody. It had the ability to keep me entertained on 12hour train journys with quite a respectable library of various TV shows and movies. It meant I didn't have to hope that the hostel would have a computer for me to use, or that I had to queue up with everyone else waiting for it.

I planned to sell it when I got back from OS, but I'm having trouble doing that :P

It's an excellent Uni computer. It's small, and it's damn light, and it allows me to do all the tasks that I'd use a Uni computer for, except I don't have to pray there is a free computer, and I can use it anywhere I want.

Rob.

I run a computer repair business.

Used to carry around a 14" Core Duo notebook with a 9-cell battery. Don't need it now, though. I do all my work from the 1000H, and haven't missed a beat.

Unless you feel the need to encode/edit video and burn DVDs or maybe play games, there's really no reason to get anything other than a netbook (unless you've got massive fingers or poor eyesight maybe).

I really should sell my old lappy...

Edited by tantryl

I use mine when travelling. I administer a data center and it gives me convenient access to that and the Citrix farm for Office apps and email.

It is smaller than my macbook and I only have to take the netbook under arm on the plane.

It also plays most DivX back just fine.

I use mine when travelling. I administer a data center and it gives me convenient access to that and the Citrix farm for Office apps and email.

It is smaller than my macbook and I only have to take the netbook under arm on the plane.

It also plays most DivX back just fine.

Most? Surely you mean to say all :P

Rob.

Last time I took a laptop overseas, the main problem I had was not the size but the battery life. I was going to go ahead and get myself an image tank for my photography but in the end I decided that taking something small and roughly 100 or so dollars more which also allowed me to surf the net at hotels that provided internet acess would be a good investment. I also considered selling it when i came back but currently still thinking about it as I haven't gone back to it since i got back early feb.

I ended up getting the 8.9" asus eee pc as I wanted to travel as light as possible. Im so glad i went for it but im still considering selling it as I've come to realise that I don't really need to carry a computer around with me. It's only good to me on holidays :p.

the battery life is good for about 6 hours which is alright with me compared to the hour or so I'd get with my main laptop.

I run a computer repair business.

Used to carry around a 14" Core Duo notebook with a 9-cell battery. Don't need it now, though. I do all my work from the 1000H, and haven't missed a beat.

Unless you feel the need to encode/edit video and burn DVDs or maybe play games, there's really no reason to get anything other than a netbook (unless you've got massive fingers or poor eyesight maybe).

I really should sell my old lappy...

Or do dev work. And I've found OneNote to be lacking on an Atom. If I lived within the cloud properly, it wouldn't really be an issue, but as it stands my 14" does me fine :)

Need a bigger battery though.

I was contemplating picking up a netbook myself. I'm still contemplating it. But I don't have a use case for it, personally. I have my laptop on me at all times while at uni, and it's powerful enough for everything I throw at it, it has a big enough screen that coding isn't painful on it, and it's pretty.

I have my phone for super-quick-gotta-look-something-up moments, or general browsing. It also serves as my media player [now that I've switched to Windows Media Player, it syncs up with my Omnia well. I can see why the iPhone/iTunes combo rocks :)], for movies at least. I have my iPod for playing music, and I'm going to keep it that way until I can get the amount of battery I need out of the phone [i listen to upwards of 5 hours of music a day, often a lot more].

Basically, I can't see a need to add another device. What I could do would be to get rid of the laptop and go a Dell Mini 12, which would be the best compromise, but even then...

I'm still tempted to get an HTC X7510 though, despite the ridiculous price. So sexy. *drools

I'd like an EEE but I'd try gaming on and getting annoyed at it's inability to game and I don't like small screens.

I'd like an EEE but I'd try gaming on and getting annoyed at it's inability to game and I don't like small screens.

N10, solves all problems on that part.

Plays most games, and is comfortable to use due to it having a good keyboard.

I use it for travel. Easy to pull it out at the airport to use, and to put photos on there to empty out the card.

Occasional net surfing, check of the email when you do find the odd access point here and there.

its handy that it is small and light, you can stick it in your hand carry and not have to worry that it'll be too heavy to carry around.

I hate to carry heavy notebook to travel around from one to another place.

I bought EeePC 1000HE as my second pc when I outside of home which i won't miss anything..e-mail, check out websit and bit multimedia stuff + play game as well...

Is used less now that I have my Nokia E71, but I do use my EEE901 for development whenever I'm not at home. Works great in Cafes, on the plane, while interstate, or generally away from my main desktop...

My netbook is strictly for Backtrack 3 with a 40DB gain antennae hookep up to the wifi card ;)

WPA2? Pwned! =P

My netbook is strictly for Backtrack 3 with a 40DB gain antennae hookep up to the wifi card ;)

WPA2? Pwned! =P

which eee do you have?

i thought backtrack didnt work properly on the 1000HD

I bought a Acer Aspire One a few months ago to make a mobile navigation device for use prospecting with a gps.

Being small , light and low powered was the most important thing to me.

Currently it is dual booting XP and Ubuntu 8.10

It handles Virtual globe type programmes like googleearth ,nasa worldwind, ArcGIS Explorer well enough to be very handy in the field when adding gps capabilitties , like live tracking ,uploading ,downloading ,and editing gps waypoints on the fly as well as very capably interrogating GIS databases.

Being able to accurately project your position on a decent map , or even better , a 3d geo-referenced digital terrain model ,and drape various aerial , satilitte imagery ,and relevant vector data like roads ,fences ,creeks,mining leases , claims and property boundaries ,etc , has extended the capabilities and usefulness of the gps tenfold.

Being able to get a birds eye view , visualize landforms and geologic features ,while being in the field , and especially , easily seeing where you are in the field , is a giant leap forward for all prospectors and explorers , travellers , etc.

As this technology matures and data and media are geocoded , it will change the world and how we navigate it.

The next addition will be 6cell battery and 12v power adapter, hooked up to a solar panel and car battery for hassle free use and recharging , when camping remotely for extended periods.

Adding 3G to it would be even more awesome when using stuff like instant messaging ,google maps and directions ,live data feeds like weather,3 hourly global clouds, when on the move , in more civilized realms . no Mobile coverage where i live/work (till 2011)

the only minus with the aa1 for me is , the screen is very reflective when outside and its sunny and i have to look at it under my shirt , and the 3cell battery is only good for a couple of hours.

Best gadget ever so far , I reckon . :D

And all using free software and data :P

My Wind is much smaller and lighter and cheaper than my MBP 15" and as such it is carried everywhere.

While I am about to increase the HDD to 250GB and install some more RAM, the only other thing I have actually done to it is dual boot with Ubuntu (which I don't really use TBH).

Mostly, the netbook presents a much more portable solution. Putting it into a small crumpler bag gives me a legitimate reason to possess a "man bag" that doesn't look odd. The netbook, 3G modem and enough space for wallet, keys and other crap without carrying a massive bag is a win.

I have it on me mainly as I find it handy to have a notebook when I am out and about. It allows me to remote access work if I need to fix something or remote access my home network if I need to cue up or check on the status of a torrent.

I have been a lover of open office for some time so it works if I need word processing or spreadsheet access on the run for whatever reason. If I am out shopping, while the iPhone presents a reasonable mobile device, the Wind is so much better at actually researching a potential purchase/ general forum browsing etc ... when sitting down with a coffee or lunch.

With the reduced weight, it also means it's taken everywhere. Having the ability to fire up some kids shows makes a great distraction for a restless 3 year old at a doctor's office/ restaurant etc ... As he gets older, I will most likely have some basic games for him to play on it too.

At a friend's place, it's also handy to copy files or provide files they may be interested in. While a portable HDD is also needed, the upgraded HDD I plan to put in will help with this.

Out and about, it also serves as a nice quick way to show a group of friends something you may have been telling them about on the net or whatnot. Again, a smartphone is not too bad but it's not the same nor any smarphone currently as fully functional as a computer.

Lastly, it serves as a tool when trying to fix someone else's computer. It has some diagnostic software, data recovery and with some extra tools I carry in a bag in the car works pretty well.

I thought the RAM was soldered in?

I reckon they'd be great with 2GB in them.

most of it has already been stated, but i'll add mine to the mix:

I have a 1000h as well with the 2gb ram upgrade, and the thing rarely leaves my side. Its small enough that it fits in my carry bag and goes absolutely everywhere with me. the odd occasion that it doesn't (like yesterday) i find myself wishing i had brought it for one reason or another.

i use it as a full fledged laptop. its much smaller than my 17 inch widescreen lappy, much lighter, and the battery lasts 5 times longer. I *can* game on it - but we're talking about things like lego batman and quake 3.

with my job i am required to be on call a fair bit. which means that i am given a work laptop and an aircard. however i never carry it around and only use my eee and an optus usb modem. it's been so good to use for work issues, that others in my unit are looking into them as well.

plus i am sent around the state on a fairly regular basis, and it suits for travel. we're also travelling to the usa this year, so it'll be handy as all get out when it comes to not having to pay for internet cafes. and after thailand, the 80gb hdd will help like nothing else when it comes to clearing of memory cards (sorry sil :P).

and finally i use it at work to get around the firewall restrictions with my own net connection. makes life much easier :)

So it seems that most of you are prepared to sacrifice the power of a full size lappy for the portability of the EEE. And while I have to admit it seems to fill the needs of you all, how often do you run into situations where you say "Bugger I wish I had my full size lappy with me" ?

So it seems that most of you are prepared to sacrifice the power of a full size lappy for the portability of the EEE. And while I have to admit it seems to fill the needs of you all, how often do you run into situations where you say "Bugger I wish I had my full size lappy with me" ?

In the last 9 months? Once, when I needed to burn a CD because I'd lost my USB thumb drive. Without that loss, I wouldn't have needed it. And in the end I just did it over the network. So it was only a slight disadvantage.

The external DVD drive comes in handy for that sort of thing.

It's rarely used though.

What about the screen size and being able to run Vista? I want an ultra-portable that has a crazy-arsed battery life. There are some Lenovo ThinkPads that are 12", have decent power and a 12 hour battery. Ludicrous. It's also about $2.5k tho'.

Never.

I'm actually quite anti lappy. The fuckers dont hold their value, and theres next to fuck all you can do to upgrade them. They rarely have the capability to keep up with games, and the battery life on most of them is pretty fucking poor.

So for me, having a machine that does exactly what i need to do is perfect. Its not the fastest machine out there, and at times it can chug a little if i throw too much at it - but those times are fairly rare, as i see it as more of a tool than i do my desktop pc in that unless i'm killing time, i'm not using it as my main entertainment device. and even then, i keep a usb modem in the bag, so i can connect to the net in an instant.

Its currently at work with Cheeky atm. She could be using the full sized lappy thats in the loungeroom, but that thing weighs a tonne and takes up too much desk space. so she uses mine on nightshifts, and brings it back for me to take to work in the morning. She does have Sil's old pink eee, but she prefers mine if its available.

Girvo: I've had mine sitting on my desk at work all day, everything turned to a minimum setting and the monitor off, playing mp3's thru a set of external powered speakers. thats about 7 hours. I've also had it last about 5 hours with actual usage of the machine as well.

and fuck vista. :) However, i am interested to see how windows 7 runs on it. I've not bothered with the beta simply because it works perfectly fine as is with xp.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

I thought the RAM was soldered in?

I reckon they'd be great with 2GB in them.

Spare slot in the Wind - just fitted it tonight along with replacing the 80GB 5400rpm HDD with a 160GB 7200rpm I had spare

Edited by The Tick