Hey guys,

Well I've just about convinced my wife that computers don't last forever, and that our old single core dinosaur isn't going to see the year out. So I'll be building my next rig and thought I'd see what you guys thought of the components. I'm prepared to spend a bit of money on the machine as it's usually 3+ years between builds.

Here's the gear, let me know what you think:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF-932

Motherboard: EVGA X58

CPU: Intel i7-940

RAM: Patriot 1600 DDR3 6GB Kit

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Sata II 3.5"

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB

PSU: Corsair HX-1000W

I haven't decided on a CPU cooler but would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Truckasauras

The i7 940 is a massive rip-off when compared to the i7 920. Save yourself $300-$400 and get practically the same performance.

Similarly, save yourself ~$200 and get Kingston DDR3-1333.

Personally, I'd prefer a GTX 295 over the HD4870X2.

The Corsair PSU is only necessary if you intend on getting another behemoth graphics card to add to that one.

And last but not least... what's the point of a kick arse graphics card with Ubuntu?

Looks like a decent build.

Things i would change/consider are:

G Skill 6G(3x2G) DDR3 PC12800 9-9-9-24 for about $270

Change the CPU to the 920 i dont see how an extra $400 can justify an extra 300mhz or so.

PSU 1000w seems abit overkill to me a Corsair TX750 should be sufficient.

Pick up a Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme and a LGA1366 mounting kit and a Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm fan.

Other then that i would invest in Vista Home Premium 64bit.

The 920's are capable of reaching 4ghz+, and im sure people around here will be willing to throw in some advice on how to do so.

You might have less trouble convincing the wife if you wern't throwing so much money away.

I concur with the above advice, you need to tone it all back and you will save yourself $1k easy, which you can put aside for your next machine.

There are a few other threads around for i7 builds that are around the $2500 mark.

If you're going to play games on it, a version of Vista or Windows 7 would need to be included in the cost.

Not sure there's much you can do with a HD4870X2 under linux :\

OK so I've taken everything you guys have said on board. I'm sticking with the HD 4870X2 but will make most of the other changes. Please let me know what you think:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF-932

Motherboard: EVGA X58

CPU: Intel i7-920

RAM: G Skill 6G(3x2G) DDR3 PC12800 9-9-9-24

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Sata II 3.5"

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB

PSU: Corsair TX750

A couple of questions I've thought of:

a)Will air-cooling be sufficient if I overclock the CPU as previously suggested, or will I need to look into liquid cooling?

b)What are your thoughts on the mobo? This is an expensive component, so if there's a cheaper alternative that offers sufficient performance that you can suggest then I'd love to hear it.

Again, thanks for all the assistance guys. Much appreciated.

Edited by truckasauras

Air cooling will be sufficient for overclocking to around the 4ghz mark, a TRUE 120 with a good fan can do this.

Not sure of the performance of the EVGA board but the Gigabyte EX58-DS4 can be had for around $340 and has decent performance.

You're sticking with the HD 4870X2 because... ?

What's wrong with the HD 4870X2?

I know you said you prefer the GTX295 but what is you reasoning behind this? I'm open to all suggestions.

Im running a similar system with a asus p6t deluxe mobo and a corsair 620w psu and a hd4870 1gb. It run crysis just fine and can handle more or less anything... LOVE IT

I know you said you prefer the GTX295 but what is you reasoning behind this? I'm open to all suggestions.

His not referring to it as a bad card. It's just that an X2 is overkill for a ubuntu system.

Looks like a really nice mobo, im guessing its up there in price, but EVGA are quality products.

Looks like you have the money to burn, so why not go with it.

The rest looks good, I might suggest 2x 640GB hard drives instead, depends how many your planning on having.

Air cooling will be plenty, that mobo has decent cooling and you should get a thermalright cooler for your CPU (ultra 120 extreme). add about $100 for that. I can testify having sold a few to clients, and using an IFX-14 myself, they are great coolers, probably as good as cheap water cooling.

Also, windows 7 home premium won't be out until the end of the year at least, you might wanna buy vista 64.

What screen are you planning to use?

His not referring to it as a bad card. It's just that an X2 is overkill for a ubuntu system.

hes no longer intending ubuntu.

hes no longer intending ubuntu.

Ahhh awesomeeee.

Very pretty build, in that case.

As Viper explained, the reason is because in Ubuntu it's basically identical to a $50 graphics card.

But I hadn't noted the change in OS.

Although you should know the retail version isn't out for 6-18 months, and by then our suggestions would have changed.

Edited by tantryl