Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SacrificialNewt

Telesales - Your computer is running slow...

Heh....

This is all very smart marketing...

If i told you your car was using more fuel than it should be, and that i could sell you something to clean your injectors to help efficiency, i would place a bet that you'd be taking MORE notice of how much fuel you've been using.

On top of that, those of us who aren't QUITE as smart as some other less gullible members of society, might actually start believing it to be true - even though nothing has actually changed.

SO i call back 2 weeks later, saying that i've noticed your car is really chewing the juice... you'd go "You know what, you're right! I'll buy some of your product thanks!"

Mayhaps. If that is the case then I'm glad she still said no, it's fine.

Maybe TPG are just crappy

There is no maybe about it. TPG are one of the crappiest ISPs going around.

Got explanation? If you're going to slag off a telco the least you can do is cite a couple of examples, and no - telling us to browse Bill Bodge's Whingepool posts doesn't count.

I've been with them probably 4 years now on ADSL initially then 2+ when it became available.

No real issues here. No problem acheiving my top speed at most times, and no problem using all of my 150 gig a month.

Many ADSL problems are exchange related anyway and you'll get the same shit no matter what the ISP.

I guess I'm lucky that my exchange also serves a massive business client base, so obviously they pull out all the stops to get things right.

It sounds to me like they're just cold calling and taking advantage of computer-illiterate people.

Obviously they do not and can not actually have "records that show that your computer is running slow".

Cybes, threesome? :{D

Pascal hey, fortran then basic for me but I can't remember anything about them. Oh the memory... or lack thereof.

Confirm, maybe. Deny, not necessarily.

Really the best way would be to try a different computer and see if there's any marked difference.

I sent her an email with the speedtest link so we'll have to see.

They may well just be cold calling and the shocked reaction may be all part of the marketing. It's good to hear nobody else has experienced this revolting type of sales pitch.

It sounds to me like they're just cold calling and taking advantage of computer-illiterate people.

Obviously they do not and can not actually have "records that show that your computer is running slow".

Are we the only ones who've realised this?

Guys, there are no records. And TPG probably isn't involved in any way, shape or form. This is exactly the same as one of those animated .gif banners.

No, i'm pretty sure i pointed it out on the 3rd post of this page.

Oh right, so there's a grand total of three of us. From two pages worth of posts.

Fuck me. It must be the time of night.

Oh right, so there's a grand total of three of us. From two pages worth of posts.

No sap, it is just not everyone has mentioned that they are aware of this :)

They are? So, I should cross them off my list of potential ISP's?

Definitely. Their support people are retarded, I had so many problems because of their incompetence. Admittedly they are cheap, but its not worth it when you take everything into consideration. I ended up changing over to Internode (TPG charged me $300 to cancel even though I'd been with them for about 3 or so years) and they have been great. Internode are a little more expensive but I'm willing to pay for it due to their customer service. Plus they have heaps of unmetered content.

If you were looking for a cheap ISP though, I've got heaps of friends who are with exetel and they don't seem to have many problems. Again, their customer service is (from what I've heard) shithouse, but supposedly a good connection. Other the them, maybe iinet?

Cybes, threesome? :{D

Pascal hey, fortran then basic for me but I can't remember anything about them. Oh the memory... or lack thereof.

Which BASIC? If you're a BBC-person and ply me with single-malt, you might not even get seconds. ;)

Cybes I forget which BASIC (told you the memory was gone) 1st or likely 2nd gen I think and <ducks for cover> amiga basic crept in there as well.

Give away my single malt!!! Are you insane? I find I have no further need of your company <heads for bedroom> A man is never alone if he can curl up with a bottle of single malt.

Speed tests seem fine.

She then went on to load some random pages but they took 15 - 20 seconds to load. On a good day they only take 5 seconds. Commsec was the worst offender at 20 seconds. I just tested it myself and I'm only on a 1500 connection yet it loaded immediately. Her network usage never raised above .5% and her task manager shows no programs accessing the CPU except what she's using at the time. Virus scan is clean.

Does anyone else on TPG have times of the day when it runs slower than others? Does the commsec site have a peak hour where the problem may be on their end?

M'yes... That'd be why they gave me absolutely no technical problems for a couple of years, had good ping times and speeds, never mis-billed me and so forth.

The only problem I had was when I had a line fault and I had to harass their call centre to get Telstra to come and fix it instead of me disconnecting and having them do another line check. Once I got through to an Aussie engineer it happened in two days (And it was Telstra's fault in the first place).

I believe she's done a scan. She's fairly PC savvy - even owned a computer company in the early 80's and is very proficient in older stuff like FOXbase and she learned how to program in pascal (showing her age much). I'm more interested in whether anyone's come across this bunch of shysters and if they really can slow an ADSL connection without appearing to do any other damage.

Hey, I learned how to program in Pascal! It's a legitimate language!

:-p

Could you just try a different computer on the connection and test the speed?

No sap, it is just not everyone has mentioned that they are aware of this :)

Exactly

I think you will find people on the first two pages are referring to her internet speed and not system speed, and I would be very damn surprised if an ISP did not keep records of there users network traffic and history - And I would also assume that these logs could show issues in ones connection

Speed tests seem fine.

She then went on to load some random pages but they took 15 - 20 seconds to load. On a good day they only take 5 seconds. Commsec was the worst offender at 20 seconds. I just tested it myself and I'm only on a 1500 connection yet it loaded immediately. Her network usage never raised above .5% and her task manager shows no programs accessing the CPU except what she's using at the time. Virus scan is clean.

Does anyone else on TPG have times of the day when it runs slower than others? Does the commsec site have a peak hour where the problem may be on their end?

As far as someone presumably cold calling about a problem, it would be the first I have heard of someone doing so with information obtained from a source such as your ISP. I wouldn't put it past TPG though to possibly take some data which might be suggesting she is having issues and passing it onto a 3rd party although that is PURE SPECULATION.

If it were my parents I would be isolating the network down to the modem/ router and my notebook. If that was working fine I would then do the usual sweeps of malware scans on the PC.

This problem does sound familiar.

You could have a look if it is a potential DNS issue. I know I had my linux server locked to an existing DNS server on AANET's network and wasn't aware they had changed them. Once I started using an external one I found the problem went away.

If your download speeds are fine then it more than likely is something interfering with the speed of your lookup. This could be a simple matter of changing the DNS servers on your router (or adjust manually on the computer) but of course it could be some form of malware.

Got explanation? If you're going to slag off a telco the least you can do is cite a couple of examples, and no - telling us to browse Bill Bodge's Whingepool posts doesn't count.

I've been with them probably 4 years now on ADSL initially then 2+ when it became available.

No real issues here. No problem acheiving my top speed at most times, and no problem using all of my 150 gig a month.

Many ADSL problems are exchange related anyway and you'll get the same shit no matter what the ISP.

I guess I'm lucky that my exchange also serves a massive business client base, so obviously they pull out all the stops to get things right.

They use a transparent proxy, meaning any file sharing site that allows one user to download one file per day / hour, will see all TPG users, who thanks to the proxy, as having the one IP, and thusly not allowing more than one TPG customer to download something in their set timeframe.

That, and their tech support know nothing about their own network that they support, have no basic tech skills other than checking a phone cable is plugged in and the modem / PC are on.

Oh, and they report all downloads to anyone they can, thusly, preventing users obtaining games illegally.

(This is a smart thing for them, but a shit thing for their users.)

I will suggest she try on her laptop.

She had a funny problem from memory though...

Even though it's a standalone network hooked up to a standard d-link router with no server or proxy, she couldn't use automatic settings for DNS so flushing it will be to no avail. She had to enter an IP address into the DNS field in TCP/IP to get Internet and we don't know why.

That said, the slowness in Internet speed wasn't always there. She hasn't formatted since we built the computer though. She's afraid of losing her beloved settings (she's a real stickler for user set settings) and I'm no longer in Sydney to format it for her.

Yes she's aware of the file and settings transfer wizard.

TPG use a giant cacheing system.

thats why they can do it so cheaply. usually there are no issues, however often there are. (yes thats contradictory :P)

Ive never been with TPG so im sorry i cant help in that reguard, but there ARE ways to bypass their proxy\cache system and just go stright to the internet.

gogle may be your friend? maybe an atomican other than myself has done this.