Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SacrificialNewt

Telesales - Your computer is running slow...

My mother told me something interesting...

A couple of weeks ago she got one of those phone calls that are silent for a minute before some Indian guy comes on trying to sell you something. He says 'Our records show that your computer is running slow'. My mum says no it isn't and hangs up. Since then she's noticed her Internet (not her computer) is slow to load pages. Then last night the same mob calls and says it again. Mum replied again with no it's not, my computer is running fine and she says he sounded genuinely shocked. He reiterated that his records showed it was running slow and asked if she was sure it was OK.

Question - has anyone come across a scam where someone has intercepted a PC or Internet connection and used or throttled it in order to scam people into buying some 'optimisation' program? She's with TPG and has an ADSL2 connection. I'm thinking she may have picked a virus or keylogger through a torrent program.

*raises eyebrow* That's really really strange... I don't have anything to suggest, but very eager to see what people have to say.

Rob.

Your mum downloads torrents?

*high-five*

*insert standard anti-virus/spyware software question here*

She has Avast and uses a torrent commander program (name of which escapes me) which acts as a torrent firewall but I'm thinking she really should do a rootkit search, reformat and use a full firewall.

I believe she's done a scan. She's fairly PC savvy - even owned a computer company in the early 80's and is very proficient in older stuff like FOXbase and she learned how to program in pascal (showing her age much). I'm more interested in whether anyone's come across this bunch of shysters and if they really can slow an ADSL connection without appearing to do any other damage.

I'm wondering if its actually TPG, and they have noticed something, or trying to pull a dodgy maybe to convince your mum to up her plan mebe?

I use the handsfree on my deskphone at work to call, and pick up the handset before they answer - Would explain why some people are gruff at first when they answer before I pick up the handset :P

I believe she's done a scan. She's fairly PC savvy - even owned a computer company in the early 80's and is very proficient in older stuff like FOXbase and she learned how to program in pascal (showing her age much). I'm more interested in whether anyone's come across this bunch of shysters and if they really can slow an ADSL connection without appearing to do any other damage.

Is your mum currently single?

Is her computer actually running slow?

If they weren't just cold-calling, it would have to be some association with TPG.

How would they get a phone number from an IP other than through your ISP?

Chances are they were just talking rubbish in hopes of making a sale.

Is her computer actually running slow?

If they weren't just cold-calling, it would have to be some association with TPG.

How would they get a phone number from an IP other than through your ISP?

Chances are they were just talking rubbish in hopes of making a sale.

If it was a keylogger then it would be easy to get her name...but then again, there's all sorts of other information they could use against her too. She banks online afterall.

It's possible we're just dreaming up a conspiracy of course. Maybe TPG are just crappy ATM. Of course, it would be easy for someone in the call centre to pull a dodgy too.

Is your mum currently single?

Sure - but unhealthy. lol

http://www.speedtest.net

First port of call online if you think your connection's borking up.

But, it also helps to have a Benchmark figure to compare against - ie your own computer when it's "healthy". Next best thing I guess would be someone else in the area on the same exchange and ISP.

TCPView is a handy program which shows what tasks are using TCP/IP.

Depending on your modem, you can also get the Status Window up (with browser closed, no torrents or other activity going) and see if leeching is occurring.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Strange. My internet has been really slow lately and im with TPG. i was planning on calling them on saturday and spending a few hours making some gelpdesk persons life hell.

Maybe TPG are just crappy

There is no maybe about it. TPG are one of the crappiest ISPs going around.

They are? So, I should cross them off my list of potential ISP's?

Maybe TPG are just crappy

There is no maybe about it. TPG are one of the crappiest ISPs going around.

i had dsl2 with tpg for ages in brisbane and i had no problems? probably because we were on the highest plan at that point so they couldnt really get any money out of us :P

Question - has anyone come across a scam where someone has intercepted a PC or Internet connection and used or throttled it in order to scam people into buying some 'optimisation' program? She's with TPG and has an ADSL2 connection. I'm thinking she may have picked a virus or keylogger through a torrent program.

www.smoothwall.org = win

just did a few tests. 3.2mbit/s down, 300k/s up

TPG

same results between Brisbane, syd, perth, London and Los Angeles.

synced at 6 mbit. on a PFsense router through a Billion ADSL2+ modem

no probs here.

Heh....

This is all very smart marketing...

If i told you your car was using more fuel than it should be, and that i could sell you something to clean your injectors to help efficiency, i would place a bet that you'd be taking MORE notice of how much fuel you've been using.

On top of that, those of us who aren't QUITE as smart as some other less gullible members of society, might actually start believing it to be true - even though nothing has actually changed.

SO i call back 2 weeks later, saying that i've noticed your car is really chewing the juice... you'd go "You know what, you're right! I'll buy some of your product thanks!"