Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
LogicprObe

Rugby League is back!

Not the Dogs this time.............but I think I can see the ghost of Backdoor Benny......

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001028,00.html

A NUMBER of second grade rugby league players have been interviewed by police over an alleged rape of a woman in Queensland, a rugby league boss says.

Wests Tigers chairman David Trodden has confirmed that police had interviewed a number of players from its NSW Cup team over the allegations from Saturday night at Caloundra.

"I know there were some allegations made to police at Caloundra," Mr Trodden said.

"And I know that the club and a couple of the players cooperated with police in relation to those allegations."

Police confirmed they are investigating an alleged rape involving a number of people, but would not confirm the identity of those interviewed.

"We are looking into an alleged rape up at Caloundra," a police spokesman said.

No one has been charged and police are expected to provide more information later this evening.

The players questioned were involved in curtain-raiser to Saturday night's NRL pre-season clash between Brisbane and Melbourne at Stockland Park watched by more than 8000 fans

Why is it that league players really only seem to "rape" chicks when they're in the spotlight?

Well, there is that.

There's also the fact that the media can't seem to get itself off as easily over incidents that happen in satellites and regionals, so you don't hear about it. The headlines and money is made in tarnishing reputations of names people know :-)

Why is it that league players really only seem to "rape" chicks when they're in the spotlight?

Because they're meatheads and the chicks are moneyhungry liars.

Squidy, I do not believe that is a very appropiate thing to say considering.

Not all "chicks" are money hungry liars and they most certianly do not ask for drunken stupid footballers to rape them now do they.

There is a problem within football presently and there needs to be some changes made to stop this type of behavior, to start with there should be more punishment handed out by the clubs for any player who causes an problem while under the influence.

Sack the pricks, take all of their contract away from them, these people believe that because they are good players they are safe, and this is where the problem lies, clubs and the like are too soft on these people.

Preseason publicity.

On another tact, why aren't you praising the 28-20 win by Manly?

Dany,

Sack the pricks, take all of their contract away from them, these people believe that because they are good players they are safe, and this is where the problem lies, clubs and the like are too soft on these people.

Wont happen dude, professional sporting organisations are run by people for whom winning and money are everything and if a few drunken sheilas have to get raped and a few people beaten up by some of the thugs they employ but can't control then so be it. I still say it's the sub culture rather than the individual per se but until the players themselves decide to start taking responsibility nothing will change.

Dany,

Wont happen dude, professional sporting organisations are run by people for whom winning and money are everything and if a few drunken sheilas have to get raped and a few people beaten up by some of the thugs they employ but can't control then so be it. I still say it's the sub culture rather than the individual per se but until the players themselves decide to start taking responsibility nothing will change.

Yep and thats the problem, if you or I did that at our job we would be sacked and charged without question, the standards should be the same no matter who you are. If they don't do something they will continue to do it until someone is killed.

Frankly all the people interested in a game like that should swap over to Union.... I mean Union is a thugs game played by gentlemen while Leage is a gentlemen's game played by thugs. only problem is that the fuckin' wanker league players would swap codes and fuck all the Union players off..... Soccer?

the chicks are moneyhungry liars.

Sounds like this could be on the money.

Everyone wants to get in on the act!

MANLY rugby league champion Brett Stewart has been accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl hours after the club's season launch.

Police say a 24-year-old man has been accused of approaching a girl about 8pm (AEDT) on Friday outside a unit complex on Pittwater Rd in North Manly.

The pair spoke for a short time and then entered a stairwell where the girl allegedly was sexually assaulted, police said.

The girl went for help at a nearby unit and police were called.

Officers arrested a man and took him to Dee Why police station where he declined to be interviewed, police said.

He was released without charge, pending further investigations.

The girl went to Royal North Shore Hospital for treatment.

Manly Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer confirmed Stewart had been accused of sexually assaulting a girl.

"The allegation is denied," Mr Mayer said in the statement.

"However, the club acknowledges that the investigation is ongoing and in these circumstances, and on the basis of legal advice which has been received, neither the club nor Brett will be making any further comment pending the conclusion of that investigation."

Mr Mayer declined to comment further when AAP spoke to him.

AAP's attempts to contact Stewart were unsuccessful.

NRL chief executive David Gallop issued a statement on the assault accusation and into a separate alleged incident on Friday afternoon.

Police were called to a licensed premises at Manly where another of the team's players allegedly struck a sponsor at club's season launch.

They say the alleged victim did not make a statement.

There is no end to it!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03...?section=justin

Police have charged the former Canberra Raiders start Todd Carney with malicious damage after he was allegedly captured on CCTV cameras jumping on several cars.

Carney and another man have been arrested and charged and will appear in court next month.

The alleged incident happened last weekend in Goulburn, south of Sydney.

Police viewed the security footage before making the arrests.

Now we need a new ad!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03...?section=justin

The National Rugby League (NRL) has suspended its multi-million-dollar advertising campaign featuring Brett Stewart, following allegations of sexual assault against Manly's star full-back.

Stewart, a New South Wales and Australian representative, is under police investigation for an alleged attack on a 17-year-old girl on Friday night.

Police say at 8:00pm AEDT the 24-year-old allegedly approached the girl outside a Pittwater Road unit complex on Sydney's northern beaches.

Stewart was arrested by police but refused to be interviewed by investigators, and was later released without charge. His club says he has denied the allegation.

Stewart is one face of the NRL's 2009 campaign advertising the game's grassroots along with Greg Inglis.

The NRL's chief executive, David Gallop, says the campaign had to be put on hold.

"We have considered the matter carefully throughout the day and until further light is shed on the issue we believe it is in the best interests of all parties that the campaign is suspended for the time being," Mr Gallop said in a statement.

Stewart is one face of the NRL's 2009 campaign advertising the game's grassroots

now all they need is some press about grass

Brett Stewart???

No way, i dont think he would be even capable of that, i always saw him as such a good boy. Sounds a bit off to me, like sabbotage. But we will see. Id be very mad if it turned out to be sabotage.

It is a worry that NRL players seem to always be in the shit with fights, assaults, dramas. Its the one sport i enjoy watching :)

Not all NRL players are meatheads, and they arent all rapists.

Some of them just dont return your calls the day after lol :(

Well, Stewart is playing this weekend, then they'll have the DNA test back.

We'll see what happens then.

I just heard on the radio that the girl claiming she was sexually assaulted was charged with fraud??

I told you he was a good boy!

Oh sorry, i heard wrong...

The girl's FATHER has been convicted something like 13 times for fraud, owes 10k worth of rent, illegally obtained $138 000 by fraudulant means and had gone to jail for his ways.

Since the father is one of the people who are claiming they saw it go down, they are questioning his crediability.

Squidy, I do not believe that is a very appropiate thing to say considering.

Not all "chicks" are money hungry liars and they most certianly do not ask for drunken stupid footballers to rape them now do they.

There is a problem within football presently and there needs to be some changes made to stop this type of behavior, to start with there should be more punishment handed out by the clubs for any player who causes an problem while under the influence.

I never said all chicks, I was referring to the chicks in these instances. And, after the reports of the dad being a fraud and being a "witness", I'm standing by my statement.

i wonder as a proportion, whether these types of incidents (rape, alcohol-related offences, etc) are more prevalent in the rugby league circle when compared to the general population. do footballers generally have a greater tendency to act up than the general population?

there are 16 nrl teams with what 30-man first-grade squad. there would be a handful of idiots amongst such numbers wouldn't there?

nevertheless, i do believe in innocent-before-proven-guilty and i dislike all this media attention when the matter hasnt even been investigated completely by police, let alone settled in court.

another point, how many footballers have been cleared of such allegations (whether it did in fact happen or not) as compared to convictions - and compare this to the general population?

i gather that this problem with rogue players is just a reflection of what happens in the real world.

whether you are famous, rich, poor, footballer or whatever, violence is unacceptable....

Charged!

MANLY rugby league star Brett Stewart has been charged with the sexual assault of a teenager after a booze-fuelled season launch in Sydney on Friday.

The Sea Eagles fullback has been under police investigation after being accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl following the team function last week.

Police say Stewart had been chatting with the 17-year-old about 8pm (AEDT) on Friday outside his apartment block in North Manly before she was allegedly assaulted.

Stewart was arrested a short time later.

At the time, he declined a police interview and was released without charge, pending further investigation.

Stewart, dressed in a suit, arrived at Dee Why police station around 6pm (AEDT) today, accompanied by coach Des Hasler and his lawyer.

After being questioned by police, the footballer was charged with with sexual assault.

"Shortly after 6pm, a 24-year-old North Manly man attended Dee Why police station and was arrested," police said in a statement.

"The man was spoken to by investigators regarding an alleged incident with a 17-year-old girl at a North Manly property during the evening of Friday, 6 March."

Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford spoke briefly to reporters outside the station after Stewart was charged.