box124

Windows Vista will not Boot

hey guys im having a bit of a problem with my compouter.

It all started when i was helping out my friends computer he also had a problem were he couldnt start his computer so i wanted to see if it was the hdd's of his comp so i took out my OS (VISTA) HDD from my computer and plugged it into his computer and it said boot mgr not found insert system cd/dvd i thought it was just a silly bug between my HDD and his computer so i didnt think anything of it.

But when i got back to replugging all my HDD's into my computer it came up with the same thing boot mgr not found please insert system cd/dvd. So I did because ive had this before when i was dual booting and i had to vista regain the boot mgr but thats an entirely different thing. So i booted up my vista dvd (home premium) and i went for the repair option and when it was searching for my vista HDD i hit a snag. It couldnt find my vista HDD and i thought that was a bit wierd, but you can press next anyway and i was in the repair options and i clicked on the start up repair section. So it was searching for a problem on my vista HDD and at the end of all of it it said it could not fix it and i should contact my hardware manufacturers and im like WTFBBQ.

I went into command prompt to check my HDD did have a OS vista install and it said there were none so im a bit scaried right now my vista HDD has a lot of games that have been updated over and over again like Cod4 and L4D and i dont want to go through the pain of using all my internet bandwidth to get my computer up and running again if i can fix it here and now.

A few little things to note

I had Windows 7 BETA on a 320gig HDD on dual boot a month ago but it stopped working so i disabled the HDD but it still showed up on boot up if i want to go to windows 7 or windows. I gave that Windows 7 HDD to my friend just the other day and now my computer stops working. could that be something?

Also I have now 2 HDD.... 1. A 500GIG for Vista and a TERA for storage

hope we can resolve this guys

thanks

You can't just plug a hard drive from 1 system into another and try to boot to it, unless it has the same chipset. The few exceptions are P35/X38/X45 tend to be interchangeable.

My guess is that either you've corrupted you OS with drivers from another motherboard, or he has a motherboard or PSU problem which toasted your HDD.

I've found Vista's repair to be totally useless. After numerous problems, it hasn't resolved any of mine. A clean install is all that has worked for me when it fails to boot.

Your best bet might be to connect your HDD to another computer that boots (with any OS), and if seen as a 2ndary drive, backup all your data from it. At least that way your game data will be saved, although you'll still need to reinstall the OS and all your programs.

I'll continue to watch this in case someone comes up with a fix that I haven't seen before. :)

Maybe someone else has a fix, but I'm not optimistic about it.

You can't just plug a hard drive from 1 system into another and try to boot to it, unless it has the same chipset. The few exceptions are P35/X38/X45 tend to be interchangeable.i

My guess is that either you've corrupted you OS with drivers from another motherboard, or he has a motherboard or PSU problem which toasted your HDD.

I've found Vista's repair to be totally useless. After numerous problems, it hasn't resolved any of mine. A clean install is all that has worked for me when it fails to boot.

Your best bet might be to connect your HDD to another computer that boots (with any OS), and if seen as a 2ndary drive, backup all your data from it. At least that way your game data will be saved, although you'll still need to reinstall the OS and all your programs.

I'll continue to watch this in case someone comes up with a fix that I haven't seen before. :)

Maybe someone else has a fix, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Thanks for your help man i was hoping someone would reply.

would a different motherboard bios corrupt my HDD that bad ?

And from now on make sure you install your games to another partition, and have all your data backed up on a regular basis. I don't have any games installed on C:\ drive. In fact if I lost windows at this moment all I have to do is reinstall it then add the few programs I run with windows like clean up programs ect.

Thanks for your help man i was hoping someone would reply.

would a different motherboard bios corrupt my HDD that bad ?

It's quite possible. On XP you just run a fixboot and fixmbr (from repair) and you're back in business. But not sure you can do that on Vista.

The partitions are good advice, though I install all programs to C: because of problems in the past with programs updating and no longer working when installed on a different partition. But always a good idea to keep your data on a separate partition.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Edited by darklife41

darklife41's advice is as sound as it gets imo...know nothing personally about Win 7 and corrupted master boot records.

A Hitman's advice summarized as "get Linux" is good advice when it comes to what you initially tried to do. Helping friends is much easier with a bootable livecd and there's no risk of messing up your own computer while trying to see what's carked at the friend's house.