Sign in to follow this  
ShiroKage

It said 1.85:1 aspect ratio...

This seems like a good as place as any for this thread...

I got the film Sister Act from the library. Yes okay stop laughing, I liked it as a kid. It says on the cover it is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio.

I boot it up on the computer (using a 22" screen) and it is dodgey... Hard for me to explain, but it is essentially in 4:3 "TV" ratio, but with additional borders on the top and bottom of that to maintain the 1.85:1 ratio. In other words, it is a small little picture surrounded by black borders on the top, bottom, left and right! They can't do that?! What the heck.

Is this just bad luck? Is there a way to zoom in or something and actually make it the 1.85:1 ratio I'm used to (i.e. take up most of my 22" screen)?

Try the crop options in VLC.

Edited by cmos

ah sweet, that did the trick.

i tried it out on the xbox360/tv combo and it look like it automatically cropped it, no problems there.

Oh, it's one of those dodgy deals where the video itself is tallscreen, but there's an embedded widescreen video in it? I hate those.

Yeah, the crop options are what you want.

Given it's an English language thing, you've not experienced the absolute evil that is possible with encoding widescreen within a 4:3 format.

When the DVD mastering process moves the subtitles into the bottom blank area, so that any attempt to zoom/crop the aspect ratio by a TV (so that you fill your nice large ws TV with a ws movie) results in loosing the translation text :(

Movies where you don't understand what the German/Russian sub captain is yelling is perhaps a little too authentic for me....

Edited by stadl

Maybe it's non-anamorphic 1:85:1 ?

Your TV may have a Zoom function which stretched the image to cover the whole screen.