sicarius123

Where to buy nice looking RJ45 wall jacks?

I'm sick of running everything wireless, ideally I'd rather only be running the laptops wireless.

Looking around at RJ45 wall jacks I've found these AMP ones on Ebay which look a hell of a lot nicer than your generic wall port. Problem being the seller only seems to be selling them up to 4 port while I want 6-8 port.

Posted Image

Where would I be able to find similar looking wall jacks with 6-8 ports that don't look like the typical ugly jacks below:

Posted Image

Thanks for the help.

The Clipsal ones either look really expensive swish, or just like the type I don't want.

Anything else? Nothing shits me more than a giant rectangle sticking out of the wall in a room with a single port in it. Seems to be the way the phone jack is wired up in most aussie houses.

You just want standard clipsal/HPM style wall plates which mount against the wall with the sockets sitting inside - like a normal powerpoint. Go to your nearest electrical wholesaler or retailer - they will sell the plates and most likely the sockets (which clip into the plate) also.

No I don't. In fact this thread is about me NOT wanting those rectangle plates with the bit that clips in. They look fkn awful, sure as hell wouldn't want to put one somewhere intentionally.

Don't want my home to feel like some cheap slapped together school computer lab.

The Clipsal ones either look really expensive swish, or just like the type I don't want.

Don't want my home to feel like some cheap slapped together school computer lab.

Make up your bloody mind.

As far as

NOT wanting those rectangle plates with the bit that clips in

You are shit out of luck as the plates are needed to mount the keystones (the things that the cable plug in to).

However Clipsal do make fancy decorative surrounds to cover the base plate and as the clipsal base plate for keystones is the same shape as the light switches they should fit. Check out their 2000 series.

http://www.clipsal.com/consumer/products/p...hes/2000_series

As far as 8 way plates, haven't seen any around but I suppose they would be available.

Clipsal and HPM seem to be the two main companies for these wall plates etc in Aus

http://www.hpm.com.au/ProductBrochure.ashx?pid=269 has a 4 way plate and keystone

Clipsal brochures and catalogues can be found here

http://www.clipsal.com/consumer/downloads/brochures

Well I'm not really sure what you want in that case. They're not any uglier than a light switch or power point. Alternatively you could install a small surface mount box which would protrude by a couple of centimetres but takes up about a quarter of the surface area.

As aliali points out, the covers don't have to be beige - multiple finishes are available.

I haven't seen much else other than slight variants of these or fancy active ones which some businesses use. Since 'nice' and 'ugly' are subjective words it's hard to tell what you really want and at the end of the day all of the choices have probably already been presented.

Well I'm not really sure what you want in that case. They're not any uglier than a light switch or power point. Alternatively you could install a small surface mount box which would protrude by a couple of centimetres but takes up about a quarter of the surface area.

As aliali points out, the covers don't have to be beige - multiple finishes are available.

I haven't seen much else other than slight variants of these or fancy active ones which some businesses use. Since 'nice' and 'ugly' are subjective words it's hard to tell what you really want and at the end of the day all of the choices have probably already been presented.

I thought it was pretty simple, especially with pictures above. I don't need it to look like I'm conducting business from my "one billion dollar" evil lair, but I also don't want the big ugly rectangle stick out of a wall sockets that are much larger than they ever need to be.

The picture above of the chinese one is basically the type of look I'm wanting. Just smooth while taking up not much more space than required.

Not sure if i get what your saying but if you need 8 ports then get 2 of the 4 ones ?!

I thought it was pretty simple, especially with pictures above.

Not really - as I said above, it's subjective. One is a 4 outlet plate, the other is a single outlet plate. They're about as ugly as each other if you ask me (and both are uglier than standard clipsal & HPM plates).

I don't need it to look like I'm conducting business from my "one billion dollar" evil lair, but I also don't want the big ugly rectangle stick out of a wall sockets that are much larger than they ever need to be.

The picture above of the chinese one is basically the type of look I'm wanting. Just smooth while taking up not much more space than required.

Which one is the chinese one? The first or second?

I haven't seen standard wall plates bigger than 4 outlets because they would be bigger than a normal sized wall plate. I don't see how these are much larger than they need to be. The "EasyCable" wall plate you posted the picture of certainly has more wasted space than most 4 outlet plates.

You could ring your local electrical wholesaler and ask if they have anything in the 6-8 port range (maybe the likes of ADC make something) but I doubt it. Few if any companies make larger ones because that's getting into the size where it makes more sense to install a patch panel - and if that isn't desired, multiple wall ports aren't exactly hard to manage.

From the Clipsal catalogue

39/2V

Standard 2 Gang Mounting Flush Plate. Dimensions 116x116mm. Mounting centres 84x46mm. Suitable for Direct mounting or mount to Two Gang Standard Pattern Mounting accessories. Nine Apertures, suit all 30 series Mechanisms.

January 2009 Trade Product Guide Page # 49

30RJ88SMA5

Posted Image

and these keystones should fit that wall plate

30RJ88SMA5

Category 5E, Computer Communication accessory. Modular cat. 5E Socket Mechanism (RJ45), 568A.

January 2009 Trade Product Guide Page # 224

Posted Image

or

30RJ88SMA5SH

Clipsal DataComms Range. Patented single action zero footprint shutter. Universal mounting into all Clipsal wallplates. Combines leading edge 'Surface Mount' and 'Lead Frame' technologies for extreme frequency performance and characteristics. Shuttered Mech with cat. 5E performance, EIA 568A

Posted Image

Edited by aliali

Nice, thank you sir :)

Just double check those sockets fit those wall plates but according to the catalogue they should (E-Catalogue just arrive yesterday :P)

Tempted to get some of these for my network ports.

Posted Image for my old 1920's built house.

Would match the existing light switches

4cabling.com.au <- good company but there site is down for some polic'ys thing as they say.