Sign in to follow this  
joey2810

Is something wrong with my hd4870x2?

Hey guys,

I've recently built a new rig and have installed some old games like half life 2 and team fortress 2. The problem is im trying to run them on the highest settings (1920x1080, 16:9, 16x anisotropic, vsync, etc ) and in the case of hl2 the menu screen is constantly flickering and the game screen shown is incomplete. In tf2, i get into the game fine but in the game there are some features where some of the surroundings are just one colour and slightly flickering as opposed to the other surroundings that are heavily detailed.

It can't be my monitor because it works fine on everything else and is a full hd 22" monitor which supports 16:9 widescreen. It is connected to my gpu by a dvi cable.

My drivers are up to date. Just really don't know what it is, just don't want to regret spending so much on this card and it can't run most games at max settings without the need to overclocked.

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

If anyone knows the recommended settings for the above games and my card, that would be appreciated.

My rig is:

e8500

ga-ep45t-ud3p

sapphire hd4870x2

4gb ddr3

640gb wd hard drive

Hey guys,

I've recently built a new rig and have installed some old games like half life 2 and team fortress 2. The problem is im trying to run them on the highest settings (1920x1080, 16:9, 16x anisotropic, vsync, etc ) and in the case of hl2 the menu screen is constantly flickering and the game screen shown is incomplete. In tf2, i get into the game fine but in the game there are some features where some of the surroundings are just one colour and slightly flickering as opposed to the other surroundings that are heavily detailed.

It can't be my monitor because it works fine on everything else and is a full hd 22" monitor which supports 16:9 widescreen. It is connected to my gpu by a dvi cable.

My drivers are up to date. Just really don't know what it is, just don't want to regret spending so much on this card and it can't run most games at max settings without the need to overclocked.

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

If anyone knows the recommended settings for the above games and my card, that would be appreciated.

My rig is:

e8500

ga-ep45t-ud3p

sapphire hd4870x2

4gb ddr3

640gb wd hard drive

Im not sure - but maybe those games dont support that type of resolution. Have you tried running it at 1280x1024? Tried any other games on it?

Edit : Just read this : http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=11013

Might be power supply not giving the card enough juice?

Edited by Lazzarus2nd

Also have you plugged in all the power connections need for the card. (assuming your PSU is good enough to feed the beast) As long as you are not trying to force HL2 to run at settings it does not list as supporting you should have no problem running at max settings.

EDIT: As you have only just built the system I would also suggest you remove and reseat the video card firmly.

Edited by bowiee

What sort of PSU do you have? I havent had any troubles with my 4870x2 on a 520w corsair psu, so aslong as you have something similar it shouldnt be that, and the 4870x2 cards wont boot if they dont get enough juice usually anyway.

So you're using the cat 9.1 drivers? I wonder if HL2/TF2/Source Engine in general are missing files?

Can you get us a screenshot? It could be artifacting or it could be a problem in the game, source engine is notorious for missing textures and stuff.

Edited by nukejockey

thanx guys, but your are gonna so laugh at how i fixed it.

the problem is i usually put my comp to sleep, but i think by returning from sleep mode it sort of affects my gpu output. So i jus restarted my comp and all my problems went away. Though it only happens with the hl source engine other games i had no problem.

Thanks for the responses guys.

btw my psu corsair hx620w.

I thought it might be a similar problem we had with a machine playing certain games, it turned out to be anti aliasing settings.

On some AA settings it displayed corrupted images like wrongly drawn leaves on trees on certain games.

But you fixed it.

the problem is i usually put my comp to sleep, but i think by returning from sleep mode it sort of affects my gpu output. So i jus restarted my comp and all my problems went away. Though it only happens with the hl source engine other games i had no problem.

yer i have the same problem its a bit annoying but thankfully its mostly only source engine games with the problem and its not that hard to reboot for them

whoputs their comp on sleep and has anyone seen that asrock mobo that boots in like 4 seconds?

yer i have the same problem its a bit annoying but thankfully its mostly only source engine games with the problem and its not that hard to reboot for them

Aww thats awesome Dasa - tell him the solution for his problem after he's told you the answer :D

whoputs their comp on sleep and has anyone seen that asrock mobo that boots in like 4 seconds?

Yeah I've seen them. They 'Instant boot' in a few seconds according to AsRock but they have to be in a sort of Standby mode for Instant Boot to work.