Sign in to follow this  
foolz

HD 4870 brands

Hey,

Well I am deliberating between a Gigabyte or Sapphire. The standard HD 4870 Sapphire is around $40 less than the Gigabyte, but the Toxic Edition is about $40 more. Well, after doing a little research it would appear the Toxic Edition is smaller than the standard one, and has better cooling which results in a small increase in performance. I was trying to find some information on if the fan was much quieter than the standard addition, but couldn't find much, so is the fan on the Toxic Edition substantially quieter than the standard edition and Gigabyte card? That should help me make my decision, and if you have any other useful information or advice that I may have missed that would be great too. The features between the cards are pretty much the same, so it comes down to cooling/noise and the small performance increase.

Thanks

Edited by foolz

Isn't it meant to be somewhat more noisy than the Sapphire Toxic?

Oh, and I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I'll probably only be using it on a 24" 1080P BenQ screen, so extreme resolutions performance probably won't factor into the decision

Edited by foolz

From what I heard the IceQ is actually silent but check this out before you take my word for it and you can get it in 1gb as well which might be worth it.

Interesting, looking at some more reviews and most of them say that it is louder than the reference HD 4870 that they use, but is up to 20+ cooler. o.o One could always turn the fan down, I suppose. But the Sapphire Toxic Edition reviews seem to be pretty positive about the sound, in fact some have even referenced the HIS IceQ and said that it is quieter. Though the IceQ can get 10 degrees cooler from what I can gather. There might be some driver probelsm with the Sapphire card, though.

Edited by foolz

put simply you cant have silence and great cooling efficiency without either a. aggressive fan profile or b. watercooling/$80 GPU heatsink

I suggest you just pick whichever card suits your budget. If you are looking for good performance I recommend you go for a Factory Overclocked card with an aftermarket cooler, and I also think you should go with a 1GB version. I'd personally go for the HIS IceQ although the Toxic is still acceptable.

Edited by tanka12345

imo get the cheapest 4870 1g you can and stick a arctic cooling s1 rev2 $45 and a arctic cooling 120mm fan $18

imo get the cheapest 4870 1g you can and stick a arctic cooling s1 rev2 $45 and a arctic cooling 120mm fan $18

those coolers have a rather worrying flaw with the HD4800 cards, when you have to apply the last ram sink it only covers half a module unless you get into it with a dremel due to the heatpipes position.

those coolers have a rather worrying flaw with the HD4800 cards, when you have to apply the last ram sink it only covers half a module unless you get into it with a dremel due to the heatpipes position.

half a memory chip? i wouldnt worry about that aslong as it gets some airflow from the fan it will probably be cooler than with the stock hsf

Not everybody is comfortable doing stuff like that.

half a memory chip? i wouldnt worry about that aslong as it gets some airflow from the fan it will probably be cooler than with the stock hsf

still something that could go wrong and to be honest the adhesive they use on the ramsinks is crap. Edited by nesquick

foolz,

Im going through a similar situation that i thought might be relevant to this thread.

I heard that the HIS 4870 was the way to go, so i did some research and decided to go with it. Its fast, cold and very quiet (apparently).

I found a nearby company that will do a HIS 4870 IceQ4 Turbo 1Gb for $429. This one is overclocked to 4000MHz!

But then i discovered that the store does the Palit 4870 1 Gb Sonic Overclocked for $419 (also 4000MHz).

Does anyone know what this card is like? Which card would be better?

foolz,

Im going through a similar situation that i thought might be relevant to this thread.

I heard that the HIS 4870 was the way to go, so i did some research and decided to go with it. Its fast, cold and very quiet (apparently).

I found a nearby company that will do a HIS 4870 IceQ4 Turbo 1Gb for $429. This one is overclocked to 4000MHz!

But then i discovered that the store does the Palit 4870 1 Gb Sonic Overclocked for $419 (also 4000MHz).

Does anyone know what this card is like? Which card would be better?

get the HIS, worth the extra $10 for no warranty hassles. Edited by nesquick

I bought the PowerColor PCS 1GB one

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=8164

And I'm going to RMA it.

I should have done my research first, they seem to have common faults

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about20299.html

To follow up on this, it seems everyone with the powercolor cards (and some of the XFX cards) are having this problem, so a replacement would probably have the same problem. I've lowered the clocks to 750/900mhz and it seems to have fixed it.

I think so, i haven't looked into it but i recall hearing that !