Sign in to follow this  
just_some_guy

Another Vista Gotcha for the list

Notice the date of majority of those 'respectable' sites. :)

Yes, but go to page 2 and you'll see that even after SP1, which MS said would bring the performance of Vista 'back to XP levels', Vista was still tested and found to be slower than XP.

The reason I am bothering to write this post is that it pisses me off to be ripped off by MS forcing inferior products on to me for higher prices. And then having people on a supposedly technical website constantly cooing about how much better the new and shiney OS is, when in fact it's a backward step. That just encourages MS to keep peddling their shit and not fix it.

I hope Windows 7, which will really be Vista SP3 as far as I can tell, might actually get the fucking Windows operating system halfway decent again.

Yes, there are other OSs. Yes, I use them too. But in the real world of business you can't avoid Windows and its apps completely, because they're so prevalent. So I am forced to use it and care about how well it does or doesn't work.

Dude, Vista is cheaper than XP! Stop using price in your argument. >_<

I know what you mean, and I agree to an extent. But the fact of the matter is, Vista is an overall improved OS compared to XP. Sure, it may use more resources, but the underlying improvements allow modern hardware to thrive. XP is faster than Vista on an older machine, true. You'll also find that XP is slower then Vista on a later PC. It's because XP literally can't handle multiple cores effectively, it's been coded in an era of single core systems. I'll attempt to do some tests soon, I have little doubt Vista will prevail.

It's unfortunate that NetMeeting has become obsolete. Perhaps it's time to find an alternative?

It's unfortunate that NetMeeting has become obsolete. Perhaps it's time to find an alternative?

Yeah, I'll just tell the 100,000 employee organization that I have to Net Meeting with that they'll all have to find an alternative because I 'upgraded' to Vista ;)

Our distance learning and elearning environments moved away from Netmeeting because it's fail.

Nothing to do with XP or Vista, we're not even going to be using Vista in our organisation, simply because we're going to migrate straight to Windows 7 (with all the UI changes and new bugs that that move will entail)

I have been watching this thread for a while time so i think i will pop in and say a few words.

Why i like vista:

1. Easier home Networking.

2. Compliments MY hardware perfectly.

4. A MUCH more secure working enviroment.

3. DX10.

4. Stable.

5. 64bit version is a dream to work/play on

6. Cleaner UI, although it did take me some time to get used too.

7. Overall a very well balanced OS but i can understand it will chug on slower systems

In 2001 why i hated Windows XP:

1. Xp was a system hog it used 200mb of ram on start up.

2. I was forced to upgrade my hardware to handel it!

2. It had a slow interface as my 16mb graphic card couldnt handel it.

3. It had heaps of stuff i didnt want, like built in burning software that didnt work properly.

4. I was only allowed one copy per machine.

5. It was so much more EXPENSIVE than windows 98

Edited by smakme7757

Simple solution, I tested this and it works under Vista. Download NM30.eve When the program downloads right click on it and select "properties" under the "compatibility tab" select "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select "windows NT4 (service pack 5)" click "apply" and "ok" Then install the program.

After it installs go to "c:\ program files net meeting folder" find the .exe file and right click on it and apply the compatibility mode to nt4 as you did with the install program. Problem solved.

It allows most functions including sharing an XP desktop, but doesn't allow

sharing of the Vista desktop.

Edit: Source But as I said I did test this myself under vista and it works.

Edited by bowiee

Vista:

1. empircally runs slower (on equivalent hardware, as noted above),

2. is less backwards compatible (which matters a lot to some),

3. introduced new bugs that didn't exist before,

4. required people to once again relearn elements of the UI,

5. introduced some really annoying new 'features' (eg. locks you out of modifying access to certain directories that you ocassionally do need to modify),

5. removed some apps (eg NetMeeting)

Dude you have just described every fucking OS upgrade ever.

Going on that logic we should all still be using MS-DOS or the like.

Vista:

1. empircally runs slower (on equivalent hardware, as noted above),

2. is less backwards compatible (which matters a lot to some),

3. introduced new bugs that didn't exist before,

4. required people to once again relearn elements of the UI,

5. introduced some really annoying new 'features' (eg. locks you out of modifying access to certain directories that you ocassionally do need to modify),

5. removed some apps (eg NetMeeting)

Dude you have just described every fucking OS upgrade ever.

Spot on!

No, going on that logic we should expect the world's premier software company to do better with its so-called "upgrading" of its premier product.

Bowiee: many thanks for that link, I'll give it a try, at least I'll be able to participate in NetMeetings (though not host them). Cheers.

Edited by just_some_guy

You do realise they do bucketloads of market research don't you?

They don't pull all these fancy new features out of their collective asses.

It's not like they sat down and said "OK, how do we piss of the maximum number of people possible?"

You do realise they do bucketloads of market research don't you?

They don't pull all these fancy new features out of their collective asses.

LOL. I can just imagine all those people in those focus groups saying how they want an OS that needs them to buy a new PC, how they're happy to pay more for the medium versions, how they don't mind if NetMeeting stops working etc.

I wonder why there's never anyone in those focus groups who says "hey would you guys mind please fixing your bloody OS?"

Edited by just_some_guy

It's funny that you claim to come from a 100K+ personnel organisation, but think that Microsoft, largest company on earth (till recently), need to "do better" at releasing software.

It's quite clear that you have absolutely zero perspective on the functioning of that level of the industry. And before you start, don't you dare say that you "Work in the industry" and therefore have the definitive answer. Saying you "Work in IT" is no different to saying that you "Work with cars". Taxi drivers work with cars, but that doesn't qualify them to say "well Toyota should just do this". Get my angle?

Microsoft are around 20 years old, I think they know a little more about writing operating systems ground-up than you. If their market research indicates that 1% of their user base still use the dated NetMeeting app (fuck, even 10%), then they really have no reason to keep it. Even though there might be a billion computers out there, that's still 990 million that don't want or need NetMeeting. Upgrade to Live Meeting like everyone else, or stick with XP, you do have that choice.

Microsoft work endlessly to try to get the bugs and problems out of their software, but when you have that billion users, with a billion different wants, and a billion different needs, some of them are just going to have to miss out. There's no way to test every possibility.

If you don't like the product, that's fine, hate it, bag it, try to fix it yourself if you're skilled enough (which at this point it's pretty clear that you're not), but if you think that for a second that a corporation like Microsoft have gone out of their way to remove NetMeeting specifically to piss YOU off, then you've got issues you should probably have checked out by a psychiatrist.

hey would you guys mind please fixing your bloody OS?

What a joke.

I wonder why there's never anyone in those focus groups who says "hey would you guys mind please fixing your bloody OS?"

I'd suggest trying alternative operating systems out. You might get a kick out of Mac OS X, or even Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux. It might be that breath of fresh air you need, to get rid of some of the Windows Vista hatred...

z

It's funny that you claim to come from a 100K+ personnel organisation, but think that Microsoft, largest company on earth (till recently), need to "do better" at releasing software.

Actually, those with more advanced levels of reading comprehension noticed that I didn't say that. I said I need to NetMeeting with people from an organisation of 1000+ personel. But they're clients, not actually part of the company I work for.

It's quite clear that you have absolutely zero perspective on the functioning of that level of the industry. And before you start, don't you dare say that you "Work in the industry" and therefore have the definitive answer. Saying you "Work in IT" is no different to saying that you "Work with cars". Taxi drivers work with cars, but that doesn't qualify them to say "well Toyota should just do this". Get my angle?

Yes. You are convinced you are smarter than me, even though you don't know who I am or what I do.

Self belief is generally a good thing, but be careful not to poke yourself in the eye while you're waving that e-penis around.

Upgrade to Live Meeting like everyone else, or stick with XP, you do have that choice.

Actually, no, I didn't have that choice. As I patiently explained, I have to interface with people who use NetMeeting. Yet, when I bought my last PC, XP wasn't available, only Vista.

(Are you sure you know what you're talking about...? Because in amidst all your bluster and amusing e-penis waving, you seem to be making mistakes fairly regularly.)

If you don't like the product, that's fine, hate it, bag it,

Like I did in this post? Well, thank you for your understanding.

So why all the frothing at the mouth? Did you just felate Steve Ballmer and forget to gargle afterwards?

What a joke.

Indeed. You have a promising career in standup comedy ahead of you. Your ranting certainly had me stitches. Edited by just_some_guy

I'd suggest trying alternative operating systems out. You might get a kick out of Mac OS X, or even Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux. It might be that breath of fresh air you need, to get rid of some of the Windows Vista hatred...

Yes, I responded to that suggestion after you first made it. Feel welcome to read my responses before making the same suggestions twice ;)

Yes, I responded to that suggestion after you first made it. Feel welcome to read my responses before making the same suggestions twice ;)

1. It was entirely intentional.

2. Please don't wink at me. There is nothing to wink about. I'm not winking back, nor do I find this worthy of winking.

3. The reason I mentioned it again, was that it seems to "fit" here. Vista isn't fullfilling your expectations, compared to XP. Maybe it is time to try something entirely different, in that respect. XP was a good thing for you, and it did the job nicely. Vista doesn't. Maybe a departure entirely is the best thing for it. I'm trying to help you...but hey, it would seem I'm wasting my time.

Good luck, some_guy.

z

The reason I mentioned it again, was that it seems to "fit" here. Vista isn't fullfilling your expectations, compared to XP. Maybe it is time to try something entirely different, in that respect. XP was a good thing for you, and it did the job nicely. Vista doesn't. Maybe a departure entirely is the best thing for it.

I cant help but feel that you missed the bit where I explained that I have to deal with clients and apps who use Windows and its unavoidable Office apps, and therefore, my personal move to a different platform wouldn't actually solve my problems.

Therefore, telling me - yet again - that moving to another OS might make me happier, isn't really solving that problem, is it.

I'm trying to help you...but hey, it would seem I'm wasting my time.

All help is sincerely appreciated. I know from reading your CD/DVD stuff that you're a very knowledgable tech guy.

However, telling me - twice - that I might like to try Linux or OSX, is about the equivalent amount of help as if I'd told you to "try using a paperclip in the little hole on the front of a DVD drive".

I'm way beyond working with multiple OSs. I own 7 PCs running 3 different OSs. I have taught myself to program (to the 'get by' level) in 3 languages. I have been using Microsoft products since DOS vers 2. I didn't jump to some ill considered point of view about the relative merits of Vista over XP or other OSs.

Please don't wink at me. There is nothing to wink about. I'm not winking back, nor do I find this worthy of winking.

Well, that's sad. Bitchy and ingracious comments like that do you no credit. I really don't think there is any reason for people to go all Squallstrife in a rational discussion about the merits or otherwise of an operating system. Edited by just_some_guy

Did you even bother to search MS? That was the second result of a search from the MS front page for "vista AND netmeeting". Or were just busting for another vista slagging session?

And here was me thinking you were a nice guy, and being nice back to you by thanking you.

However, because you couldn't resist joining in the slagging, I'll now point out that this solution was mentioned in the original post, that someone else posted a link to it on page 1, and that the solution doesn't let you host NetMeetings, it only lets you join someone else's.

As for why I bothered posting this on Atomic: I thought other people might like to find out in advance that NetMeeting isn't in Vista. So that, unlike me, they didn't find out at the moment they were supposed to join a client's Net Meeting, only to find out that it's no longer there.

But hey, no well-intentioned post should ever go unpunished on Atomic, right? Especially if someone draws attention to the emporer's new clothes where Vista is concerned.

Edited by just_some_guy

Whooties - I'm a cunt for trying to help!

And here was me thinking you were a whinging sook! I'm sad to see I was right.

If the link was so useless, why didn't you bother pointing out it had already been posted? I notice though that it was someone else telling you about that possible solution, so my question still stands, did you even bother searching MS before chucking a tanty?

... and pointing out that the 'Vista is better' BS is just that.

Vista's networking makes a mockery of XP's. Things just work in my home, now that all computers run Vista. Vista, in my circumstances, is indeed better than XP.

As for why I bothered posting this on Atomic: I thought other people might like to find out in advance that NetMeeting isn't in Vista. So that, unlike me, they didn't find out at the moment they were supposed to join a client's Net Meeting, only to find out that it's no longer there.

But as you said in your OP: You can join NetMeetings. You just can't start them. A limitation, yes, but in the context of your original post a rather moot one, don't you think?

Edited by Girvo

Girvo, don't be silly! JSG is onto us, we're all conspiring against against him by saying anything favorable about vista!

Ok folks, joke's over, everyone admit that we're all running Win ME still, cos it's so much better than Win NT and it's bastard off-spring!

And we might as well close down the netmeeting session we were using to co-ordinate the conspiricy!

Edited by ten80