Sign in to follow this  
just_some_guy

Another Vista Gotcha for the list

If the link was so useless, why didn't you bother pointing out it had already been posted?

I was trying to be polite and not draw attention to how much of a retard you'd been in posting it again.

But I see from your latter posts you have no concerns about putting your retardedness on public display.

my question still stands, did you even bother searching MS before chucking a tanty?

Which part of "I mentioned it in my original post" are you having trouble with? Edited by just_some_guy

But as you said in your OP: You can join NetMeetings. You just can't start them. A limitation, yes, but in the context of your original post a rather moot one, don't you think?

Not really.

As I pointed out, I found out that Net Meeting was gone at the time I need to join a client meeting. By the time I'd found the half-solution, the meeting was over.

I posted this thread so others might become aware that other Atomic might become aware that it was missing from Vista.

Silly me.

Im not sure anyone cares.

Personally I just think you wanted another reason to post one of your "vista sucks ass" threads.

Personally I just think you wanted another reason to post one of your "vista sucks ass" threads.

Sure, there was an element of that. But I did actually think someone might find it useful information... as I would have, had someone posted it before me.

But hey, live and learn.

Edited by just_some_guy

I'm having trouble relating what you say to what the article says - about the only thing which won't work is starting a remote desktop sharing session from an older version of netmeeting to a vista machine using netmeeting 3.02, "However, you can create a remote desktop sharing session from NetMeeting 3.02 on a Windows Vista-based computer to an earlier version of Windows that is running an earlier version of NetMeeting."

Nothing about you not being able to start netmeetings on a vista machine. Are you just too busy crying about vista to be able to read past the tears?

Nothing about you not being able to start netmeetings on a vista machine. Are you just too busy crying about vista to be able to read past the tears?

There are other links which explain the limitation of that hotfix.

But please, no need to concern yourself further with this thread. You gave it several of your best shots, and fell short. I'm sure you'll come to terms with it, as indeed I have.

Have a nice night.

Actually, those with more advanced levels of reading comprehension noticed that I didn't say that. I said I need to NetMeeting with people from an organisation of 1000+ personel. But they're clients, not actually part of the company I work for.

Yep, my bad, missed that bit.

Yes. You are convinced you are smarter than me, even though you don't know who I am or what I do.

Actually, that's not what I said at all. Normally when these "Vista is crap" threads come around, the OP defends themselves with "Oh but I work in IT, and therefore I know how every facet of IT in the world works". I was just preparing for that possibility.

Actually, no, I didn't have that choice. As I patiently explained, I have to interface with people who use NetMeeting. Yet, when I bought my last PC, XP wasn't available, only Vista.

You did have the choice. You can downgrade to XP if you want to. Staying on Vista is your decision to make. If NetMeeting is such an incredibly important and critical tool for you, then perhaps you should have checked beforehand. This entire thread seems to be you trying to blame anyone but yourself for your own non-preparedness, shown here:

"As I pointed out, I found out that Net Meeting was gone at the time I need to join a client meeting. By the time I'd found the half-solution, the meeting was over."

Not checking earlier is your own stupid fault.

Like I did in this post? Well, thank you for your understanding.

No, you've been bagging Microsoft's failure to produce software that's catered specifically to the needs of your IT-challenged client.

Indeed. You have a promising career in standup comedy ahead of you. Your ranting certainly had me stitches.

I'm glad I was able to amuse you, since it seems you haven't taken anything else in this thread on board.

Edited by SquallStrife

Oh, so terribly cutting JSG, I'm sure I will get over the folly of trying to help a rude wanker like you.

If you're only posting this to warn others, why don't you post all these other links, and help them fully?

BTW, I just tried NM 3.02 as outlined in the article I suggested, and tested it with a couple of friends, it's working fine here, I can even *gasp* initate sessions. OMG - I can do the unpossible!!!

So terribly sorry for "falling short" of helping you - whoops, hang on, sorry for TRYING to help you.

Yep, my bad, missed that bit.

Thanks for acknowledging it.

Normally when these "Vista is crap" threads come around, the OP defends themselves with "Oh but I work in IT, and therefore I know how every facet of IT in the world works". I was just preparing for that possibility.

Well, ok, but I didn't just make the assertion. I provided facts in support of the assertion. Those facts would still be facts regardless of my level of IT experience.

You did have the choice. You can downgrade to XP if you want to.

You are correct. I had not thought of that.

This entire thread seems to be you trying to blame anyone but yourself for your own non-preparedness.

Have you ever EVER seen anything anywhere which warns people that NetMeeting isn't included in Vista? I haven't. And I've been frequenting technical BBSs since before the Web was invented.

Sure, maybe there's information out there about it. But it sure wasn't mentioned in the literally hundreds of articles I've read about Vista prior to buying.

So, it's a bit disingenuous to be saying I "should have been more prepared", isn't it?

(Actually, there are several gotchas in Vista which I find many people unaware of. For example, the way even Administrators are now locked out of certain system directories, which most people find out about only after they've spent an hour wondering why they can't delete a corrupted font file or something that used to be relatively simple.)

It'd be nice if you'd post these 'links'. We're not psychics.

Why?!

I wasn't actually asking in my OP for links or solutions. As I have stated, I was trying to let other people know about something I'd just discovered that was missing from Vista.

I mentioned there was a partial solution in my OP so that when someone Googles in they'll know about it.

Sheesh.

Edited by just_some_guy

So you actually really don't give a damn about helping others, just big-noting yourself and slagging off.

Fair enough, and noted.

BTW, I just tried NM 3.02 as outlined in the article I suggested, and tested it with a couple of friends, it's working fine here, I can even *gasp* initate sessions. OMG - I can do the unpossible!!!

Can you host a Net Meeting from Vista, and have XP clients connect to it? Case that's what I'm saying that Hotfix can't do, based on what I've been reading.

So you actually really don't give a damn about helping others, just big-noting yourself and slagging off.

Are you really as stupid as you're making yourself out to be? Or is this all just part of the comedy routine? Edited by just_some_guy

I tried to help you!

Yes, for which I offered gracious thanks.

But then you followed up your original helpful post by trying to pile on the slagfest... even though it was obvious you didn't know what the fuck you were talking about and hadn't even read the thread to that point.

So stop sooking and try the 'hard done by' sob story on someone who hasn't bothered to read the thread.

Why not work with your client to explore other options?

Yes, will do. Now that I know about this incompatibiliyt, I'll have an XP machine on standby when I need to host, or use that Hotfix if I need to connect to their meetings in future.

I'd much prefer them to use one of the many more elegant netmeeting type clients, but of course, with an organisation that size, there's no way they're going to change in a hurry, and certainly not for my sake.

Edited by just_some_guy

Hahahahahahahah - no worries Mr. I.T. God.

Maybe you should try READING that link I posted, it's not a hack you idiot, it's a download of netmeeting to run on vista. It's a install, no "hacking" needed.

Fuck, look at idjit me, still trying to HELP the rude cunt!

Maybe you should try READING that link I posted, it's not a hack you idiot, it's a download of netmeeting to run on vista. It's a install, no "hacking" needed.

In the IT industry, we often refer shorthand to 'hotfixes' and 'patches' as 'hacks'. That's because such fixes often involved rudimentary changes to the original source code, which is the original definition of 'hacking' before it became associated with piracy.

When I mentioned the hack, I meant 'the version of Net Meeting which has been hacked to enable it to run on Vista'.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Fuck, look at idjit me, still trying to HELP the rude cunt!

You are a true Hero of Atomic.

(Kind of weird though how I seem to have to keep explaining things to you.)

Edited by just_some_guy

This entire thread seems to be you trying to blame anyone but yourself for your own non-preparedness.

Have you ever EVER seen anything anywhere which warns people that NetMeeting isn't included in Vista?

No, I haven't, but I don't know anyone that still uses NetMeeting for critical sessions, especially for client meetings. Even if NetMeeting was part of Vista, wouldn't shouldn't you have fired it up at some point prior to the meeting to configure it? Had you taken that initiative, you could have found a workaround prior to this, and saved yourself a little heartache.

Maxxie is spot on.This has gone on long enough.

But I wanted to add a coment or two.

Firstly,report anything you consider trolling to the mods. That's what we are here for, to deal with issues like this.

Secondly, threats of any type are not welcome here.

And lastly gang, it's only a bloody forum. Stop taking things to heart. If your kids carried on like this I'm sure you'd sit them down and bash their ear mentioning respect,other people opinions, e.t.c

Now let's move on.