Sign in to follow this  
just_some_guy

Low cost 5.1 Speaker System for Xbox

I want to add 5.1 surround sound to my original Xbox.

I've bought the cable that provides a digital output... now I need a cheapish set of 5.1 speakers that have a digital input.

Any suggestions on what I should look for?

Many Thanks.

Edited by just_some_guy

IIRC, the X-530 doesn't have digital input. They're also quite mediocre in terms of sound quality.

Oh!.......You crusher of dreams!

Logitech G51, about 150, go for it!

they're not bad as far as gaming sound goes either, actually, as its for a games system, I think you'll be providing pseakers good enough to get every sound clear for you.

IIRC, the X-530 doesn't have digital input. They're also quite mediocre in terms of sound quality.

Ummm dude, what do you expect for $100? Miracles?

I think he was expecting something with a digital input.

Nope, miracles are free.

Put it into context, the OP stated what he wanted, and this product doesn't deliver.

Nope, miracles are free.

Put it into context, the OP stated what he wanted, and this product doesn't deliver.

I was referring to you saying that they are mediocre. Do you expect awesome quality from speakers $100 or less?

I was referring to you saying that they are mediocre. Do you expect awesome quality from speakers $100 or less?

Not really, no. Doesn't change the fact that they're sound quality is mediocre, does it?

Mate I have both the Logitech Z-5500D which were $420 and the Logitech X-530, they were $99. I think you should save the extra cash and get the Z-5500D's, 4 times the price yes but they are WAY more than 4 times the speakers. If you don't want too spend the extra cash then the X-530's will serve you just fine. I had em for years before I upgraded and I had no complaints for $100.

Not really, no. Doesn't change the fact that they're sound quality is mediocre, does it?

You're either being a pain or avoiding the obvious point... they might be mediocre, but for that money are they mediocre? (Personally never used or listened to them so I don't know!)

JSG: Define cheap, in your own terms.

<edit>

D'oh, I can't see shit cap'n!

*facepalm*

Edited by LordBug

To be clear - just_some_guy has already stated what he is after:

A cheap 5.1 Surround Sound System that:

1. Is under $200

2. Has a Digital Output (Optical i assume, as he wants to connect to an Xbox)

To be frank mate your going to have to compromise, you wont get a system with what you want for under $100, so either, give up your digital or save some extra money, Im using Logitech X540's which are slightly better than the 530's but not by much, id suggest to save more money mate, but if ou cant then u'll hav to give up some quality

To be frank mate your going to have to compromise, you wont get a system with what you want for under $100, so either, give up your digital or save some extra money, Im using Logitech X540's which are slightly better than the 530's but not by much, id suggest to save more money mate, but if ou cant then u'll hav to give up some quality

READ what he posted, he said $200.

Yep, $200 is my notional pricepoint.

And it needs to have a digital input, because that's the ONLY way that the original Xbox can do 5.1 sound, apparently.

But if it's not possible to get a $200 system that has a digital input, then I guess I'm after whatever is the cheapest system above that.

Thanks again.

As far as i am aware there isn't a 5.1 set-up for under $200 with a digital input, however there are 5.1 set-ups which can create the 5.1 effect from a 2 channel source ($90-$220) e.g. logitech X-530 (via adapter), Logitech X-540, Logitech G51, Altech Lansing VS3251.

The cheapest AIO 5.1 solution i have come across with digital input's is the Logitech Z5500D at $414.