Goonit

Obtaining Windows - what's legal and what's not?

Just get windows 7 from "the usual places" it's direct X 11- faster then Vista etc etc..

I'm using at home on my gaming machine and it's so much faster, probably uses less power with the amount of power options it has, and lack of useless processes. All my devices worked! Even a printer that didn't work with Vista works with windows 7! And it hasn't cost me a cent yet! (FYI FREE BETA!)

I think I might even buy it when it's released! Would be the first version of Windows I've payed for personally, since Windows 98..

Edited by Goonit

Just get windows 7 from "the usual places" it's direct X 11- faster then Vista etc etc..

I'm using at home on my gaming machine and it's so much faster, probably uses less power with the amount of power options it has, and lack of useless processes. All my devices worked! Even a printer that didn't work with Vista works windows 7! And it hasn't cost me a cent yet!

I think I might even buy it when it's released! Would be the first version of Windows I've payed for, since Windows 98..

These are admissions one should not make publicly.

You'd seriously consider using a beta Windows OS over one with a Service Pack out and another nearly here, as your normal OS?

Definitely, but I'll still have XP Pro to fall back on as dual boot. I'll also have Vista 64 Ultimate to reinstall if need be.

I expect 7 to be better than Vista with SP2 when it's released.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 to Vista isn't nearly the same change that Vista was to XP. It's more like Windows 2000 to XP. They're basically the same file structure and OS with tweaks. No big change to the CAL this time. So the beta version doesn't really bother me with 7. As far as I'm concerned, SP1 for Vista brought it out of Beta, as it was full of bugs before that. I still prefer XP over Vista for most things and XP is faster for my normal use.

Check out the reviews for yourself to decide. I haven't seen much negative, and a lot of positive things written about Windows 7. :)

I'm using at home on my gaming machine and it's so much faster, probably uses less power with the amount of power options it has, and lack of useless processes. All my devices worked! Even a printer that didn't work with Vista works windows 7! And it hasn't cost me a cent yet!

I think I might even buy it when it's released! Would be the first version of Windows I've payed for, since Windows 98..

It's possible though. I was still using 98se 'til I got my Vista lappy back in Nov '07 :)

It's possible though. I was still using 98se 'til I got my Vista lappy back in Nov '07 :)

Hey hey hey now don't get ahead of yourselves!

I haven't paid, but that doesn't mean I don't own legitimate copies! :P Too many in fact, which reminds me I should really flog them off before they're worth 5 dollars like 98' is now..

I haven't paid, but that doesn't mean I don't own legitimate copies! :P Too many in fact, which reminds me I should really flog them off before they're worth 5 dollars like 98' is now..

Well you said get windows 7 "from the usual places" which, unless I am very badly mistaken, you are suggesting he get his copy from an illegal source. If you just meant he should download the beta from MS you would have said that yes? After all that is the only place you can get it from legally. And when you say you have never purchased a copy of windows it suggests all your copy's of windows are non genuine.

Of course I may be reading your post wrong :P

Edited by bowiee

Well you said get windows 7 "from the usual places" which, unless I am very badly mistaken, you are suggesting he get his copy from an illegal source. If you just meant he should download the beta from MS you would have said that yes? After that is the only place you can get it from legally. And when you say you have never purchased a copy of windows it suggests all your copy's of windows are non genuine.

Of course I may be your post wrong :P

You may be my post, indeed! :)

The usual places.. Why are the "usual place" illegal? You're not breaking the law going to them, are you?

I didn't even bother trying to download it from MS, because I knew it would take twice as long as doing it illegally! Signing up etc etc..

Considering it's a free beta and torrents are generally faster.. meh!!

Fact of the matter is; it's good, it's free for now. Test it, and buy it when it's released!

Well you said get windows 7 "from the usual places" which, unless I am very badly mistaken, you are suggesting he get his copy from an illegal source. If you just meant he should download the beta from MS you would have said that yes? After that is the only place you can get it from legally. And when you say you have never purchased a copy of windows it suggests all your copy's of windows are non genuine.

Of course I may be your post wrong :P

You may be my post, indeed! :)

The usual places.. Why are the "usual place" illegal? You're not breaking the law going to them, are you?

I didn't even bother trying to download it from MS, because I knew it would take twice as long as doing it illegally! Signing up etc etc..

Considering it's a free beta and torrents are generally faster.. meh!!

Fact of the matter is; it's good, it's free for now. Test it, and buy it when it's released!

Any time you download a copy of windows (and most other programs) from a torrent it is illegal, as is the key that comes with it. don't kid yourself you are treading a grey area, because you are not.

Even though my "illegal" copy is registered with Microsoft for the beta..

MEH!!

So you are now saying you signed up to get a legitimate key ? something you said you did not do.

You also admit in that comment that,

I knew it would take twice as long as doing it illegally! Signing up etc etc..

Yes you are. As I said there is no grey area, downloading windows from any other source other than microsoft is not legal.

You should just admit you made certain admissions here that could have put Haymarket in a sticky position.

Any way enough thread hijacking from me, you either get it or you don't. :D

Microsoft apparently only issued 10 or so beta keys for the entire Windows 7 beta roll out..

I wouldn't want to put anyone in a sticky position ;)

Another alternitive to running vista is to run Windows Server 2008, if the option is available to you.

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/

As for it being illegal to download copies of the Windows 7 beta from non Microsoft sources, this is false. It is illegal to use the software without authorization or a license, not to obtain it from a mirror.

Wrong TheSecret. Obtaining Microsoft software from anywhere other than Microsoft or a Microsoft approved vendor is illegal in every country in the world, with or without key. Distributing Microsoft's software without Microsoft's authorization is also illegal in every country in the world. Thus, anything MS obtained via torrents is illegal.

As a system builder I can't even legally give out Microsoft discs, unless they have a valid key with them and follow OEM licensing restrictions, or I get specific case by case permission to do so.

Now whether or not Microsoft can tell, or decides to prosecute is another story. But distribution laws are stated quite clearly on every MS licence.

darklife is on the money. It's not designed to screw you over though, it's to make sure that what you download is complete and hasn't been tampered with.

There is nothing illegal about redistributing software that Microsoft makes available on its website for download, from a different source, as long as relevant disclaimers are given.

Obviously for Windows operating systems, these are not available for download, and redistribution is illegal.

This is not the case for the Windows 7 beta.

There is nothing illegal about redistributing software that Microsoft makes available on its website for download, from a different source, as long as relevant disclaimers are given.

Obviously for Windows operating systems, these are not available for download, and redistribution is illegal.

I repeat it is illegal to download any Microsoft operating system (Beta or not) except from the Microsoft website. THE END ! Edited by bowiee

I repeat it is illegal to download any Microsoft operating system (Beta or not) except from the Microsoft website. THE END !

Can you show me the law or license agreement where this is stated?

The evidence works against your claim, since many high profile sites were offering the ISO on a mirror, not simply redirecting to Microsoft's site.

e.g. http://downloads.guru3d.com/Windows-7-Beta...nload-2162.html

Edited by TheSecret

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!

I repeat it is illegal to download any Microsoft operating system (Beta or not) except from the Microsoft website. THE END !

Can you show me the law or license agreement where this is stated?

The evidence works against your claim, since many high profile sites were offering the ISO on a mirror, not simply redirecting to Microsoft's site.

e.g. http://downloads.guru3d.com/Windows-7-Beta...nload-2162.html

All that shows is that 3d guru is offering a link to download windows 7. It even states it is an "external link" which I would bet takes you to the MS download page. Or maybe as you claim a mirror. They offer a lot of links like that which inevitably take you to the software vendors download page. The link no longer works as the downloading of the beta of windows 7 is no longer on offer.

So for now I will stand by my statement that downloading of windows operating systems are only available from the MS site.

EDIT: I just reread the previous posts and we/I got a little sidetracked from the original observation , and that was that "downloading MS products form a torrent site is NOT legal" Even if it is faster and even if you have a genuine key.And I stand by that comment.

I know some people do it to replace a damaged windows disk and I don't care. But to admit this, and possibly encourage others to download MS products in an open forum is IMHO not really acceptable.

Edited by bowiee

I missed that it was an external link, but still.

Your claim has no basis, in law or otherwise. having studied law to an extent, I do actually have an idea what I am talking about.

Microsoft provided a direct link to the ISO file, without any disclaimer or notice. It is not breaking any law to redistribute this file, either by burning a copy to a cd for a friend, or grabbing it(as long as it is only the ISO file) via a torrent.

The legal issues refer to licensing. Since you can apply for a key on Microsoft's webpage, that is not a problem.

The only reason an issue of legality may come up, is that Microsoft no longer wishes to make the file available. However, during the period the file was available, there is absolutely nothing illegal about hosting the file on a mirror, and the same goes for any of the files microsoft make publicly available, unless there are terms or conditions stating otherwise.

I missed that it was an external link, but still.

Your claim has no basis, in law or otherwise. having studied law to an extent, I do actually have an idea what I am talking about.

Microsoft provided a direct link to the ISO file, without any disclaimer or notice. It is not breaking any law to redistribute this file, either by burning a copy to a cd for a friend, or grabbing it(as long as it is only the ISO file) via a torrent.

The legal issues refer to licensing. Since you can apply for a key on Microsoft's webpage, that is not a problem.

The only reason an issue of legality may come up, is that Microsoft no longer wishes to make the file available. However, during the period the file was available, there is absolutely nothing illegal about hosting the file on a mirror, and the same goes for any of the files microsoft make publicly available, unless there are terms or conditions stating otherwise.

So you have studied MS licencing and distribution laws ? Throwing that little gem in there to make yourself seem to have inside knowledge, or knowledge superior to others is getting desperate. And to be honest is a little sad.

Windows 7 was never available for download at any site other than the MS site and all links took you to the MS site. Microsoft did not provide a direct link to the ISO, 3D Guru provided a link to the MS download page.

But as I pointed out this was about downloading windows 7 from a torrent. This is not legal. Any way I feel I have made my point and all your arguments to make your point that downloading MS products from any source other than MS, no matter how bad you want it to sound legal, it's not.

And just going round and round is counter productive, and smacks of trolling.