Sign in to follow this  
computernoob247

will raid 1 wipe drives?

i currently have two seagate 640gb drives and i want to make them RAID 1 (the raid where they mirror each other)

one of my drives is empty and the other one has everything on it

if i put them in raid 1 will it wipe the one with all the stuff on it?

also one of my hard drives is kinda faulty so if it dies whilst im using raid can i just put a new one in and mirror the good one?

thanks

Creating a new RAID volume will destroy all current data.

Backup the current data and copy it back to the new RAID volume.

And I wouldn't use the faulty drive in a RAID environment.

Edited by Jeruselem

Depends, I've had a motherboard that allowed you to state a 'source' drive for the RAID1 array during creation, upon reboot it started 'rebuilding' the array.

Depends on the RAID hardware/BIOS I suppose. Though more often than not they don't give you that kind of option.

Depends, I've had a motherboard that allowed you to state a 'source' drive for the RAID1 array during creation, upon reboot it started 'rebuilding' the array.

Depends on the RAID hardware/BIOS I suppose. Though more often than not they don't give you that kind of option.

i have a gigabyte ep45t-ud3p

It'll depend on the controller, but generally, yes.

You *may* be able to setup a 2-drive RAID 1 array with just one drive present. If you can do this, then you can likely set up the RAID using the empty drive, put the drive with all your data on a non-RAID port and copy across what you want, be it a plain file copy, or a drive mirroring from the non-RAID drive to the RAID drive.

Once you've done that, assuming it's even an option, you can move the drive with all your data onto the second RAID port and have it rebuild from the other drive.

But you're using onboard RAID, which for want of a better word, is shit. So don't hold your breath.

Creating a new RAID volume will destroy all current data.

Backup the current data and copy it back to the new RAID volume.

And I wouldn't use the faulty drive in a RAID environment.

I agree.

I find that drives are only faulty or not.

It'll depend on the controller, but generally, yes.

You *may* be able to setup a 2-drive RAID 1 array with just one drive present. If you can do this, then you can likely set up the RAID using the empty drive, put the drive with all your data on a non-RAID port and copy across what you want, be it a plain file copy, or a drive mirroring from the non-RAID drive to the RAID drive.

Once you've done that, assuming it's even an option, you can move the drive with all your data onto the second RAID port and have it rebuild from the other drive.

But you're using onboard RAID, which for want of a better word, is shit. So don't hold your breath.

As above.

Linux software RAID will happily do it.

Rob.