iamthemaxx

Digital Distribution - Dealing in Denial

I was reading a few user reviews on the main page and saw that as negative points the writers both listed;

• Steam

Surely it's time to get over Steam, and digital distribution in general, and start enjoying the benefits?

Steam has been around in some form for around 7 years now and there are a myriad of other distributors that have similar platforms. Take a look at the resoundingly successful StarDock for example.

Now I can understand that having to download X gig for a game can be daunting, but I'd think that in this day of reasonably cheap broadband plans coupled with off peak quotas, that downloading HL2, Bioshock or EaW:II would just be an overnight exercise for most people.

Yes you don't get the box, but it can be cheaper, you get a lot more access to cool indie games for cheap prices, you get games for free plus access to beta's, demos, and all sorts of associated media.

This isn't a shot at the reviewers, just a bit of a "get with the times" ;)

Cause it's not like these will be leaving us any time soon.

When I got sick of looking at my pile of unplayed games on the shelf, I sold them off.

What are you going to do with $500-$700 of unwanted STEAM games?

Uninstall them?

I don't go buy games and then never play them. I generally only buy a few good ones and play them constantly.

Plus older games can be really hard to resell.

I guess it's not an issue for me.

Bring back WON.

:D

Steam is decent, and the prices are good. I'm happy, but I like boxes and I like CD's so I don't have to download a 12Gb file to play my game.

Grr, topics like this make me angry. And for that reason, I'm not going to comment any further than this... |

*EDIT* Just to clarify; people hating steam and vista make me mad, not people saying get over it.

Edited by nukejockey

I agree on the Steam bit, it's definitely gone a long way and now I see it as a plus rather than minus. Although it still needs some work, like the ability to choose which directory to install to would be great.

But 10-15gig download for a game is definitely very high given most of us are working with a cap with 30-50gig a month. But that's a problem with stupid Aussie broadband than with DD.

Had steam since it came out. Pretty fucking good now, for all the drama and shittiness in the beginning. VALVE really sorted their shit out and it's IMO the best way to get a lot of games today :)

I just wish Steam and SteamWatch worked a little better when trying to download games. Constant drop-outs and whatnot are annoying.

It's still a massive kick in the pants for users who

a) don't have the internet

and b) don't have good quality internet.

The fact internet is required for single player games is fairly unacceptable.

For those of us that do have decent internet tho, Steam and Steamworks are fantastic, and while they were a bit bumpy at the start, have matured into something which is both usable and useful.

For those of us that do have decent internet tho, Steam and Steamworks are fantastic, and while they were a bit bumpy at the start, have matured into something which is both usable and useful.

I'd agree with this.

Plus having to use Steam + Live/whatever is a bit of a arse punch as well.

But I think overall it's been a benefit.

I love steam, I think it is great being able to access my games on any machine I want and not have to take a disc with me for anything I want to play.

I love steam, I think it is great being able to access my games on any machine I want and not have to take a disc with me for anything I want to play.

And then download gigs and gigs of content to play on that machine.

And to have it crash.

And then lock you out.

And then realise you're capped because you downloaded so much.

And then Gabe kicks your ass.

Steam SUCKS!!!

No way am I downloading huge files just to play games that I cannot onsell.

All games that come out on the steam in future will NOT be getting any money from me.

Surely it's time to get over Steam, and digital distribution in general, and start enjoying the benefits?

If the system is robust enough, then sure. Some people see what they want to see, and the damage done to Steam in the early days is not easily undone. Unfair? Perhaps. Unjustified? Probably. But this is Product Launch 101. I see a lot of Steam-bashing, and quite often it's unnecessary. What can I say, some people are stubborn :-) But if there are flaws, then call 'em.

I do think there's a lot of unnecessary angst concerning Steam, and you're right, if we're to move forwards then we need to adapt. The Internet culture is very much geared towards "I want what I want, when I want it" and on the surface, it seems as though online distribution models such as Steam cater to that very whim.

I don't necessarily disagree with that mindset. Society is pushing and pulling people in all sorts of different directions and with the rise of dual-income households, families are often working odd or different hours. The convenience of being able to purchase games online should be a major drawcard.

After all, this is what we want, right? We want what we want, when we want it.

That said, though, I would not be in favour or adopting (or pushing) a system just because it did satisfy the demand requirements - if it has faults, then I think they need to be realistically assessed and not accepted just because the system is there. So by extension, if Steam isn't the best sytem, if it really is a drawback in some circumstances, then I see no reason why those drawbacks can't be addressed on their own merit, rather than dismissed as simple Steam-bashing :-)

Not that anybody has said that, of course :-) Just throwing ideas out there.

One big issue Steam faces is its reputation. A lot of damage was done to their reputation in the early days, when things were dramatically different to how they are now and a lot of stuff happened that disappointed a significant portion of the population. There were a lot of reported problems with Steam, some justified and some not-quite-so. But that damage cannot be easily outrun.

I don't know much about Steam, as I haven't used it. Like maxx, I too tend to purchase a narrow spectrum of games and play them quite a bit and I've never sold a game secondhand. But that is a genuine consideration for some. The primary reason I've not used Steam to date is simply because I've had no major reason to. Anything I've wanted to play in the last few years, I've been able to procure through more traditional distribution methods. And that's just been easier for me.

I would be happy to do without physical media and the related trappings, but I would then need plans to take into account the volatility of digital data vs Steam's policies for handling purchase (or re-downloading, as it were). No biggie, but again, I just haven't had the need to think about this stuff yet.

I'd agree if I knew what you were talking about :-)

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. What I'm unsure about is how it applies to Steam - does purchasing a single-player game over Steam require a net connection for subsequent loadings of the game?

I think the concept of digital distribution in general is inevitable, and I think it can be a good thing so long as the system itself is robust :-)

edit: Steam might be a little immature, as a platform, but the concept of digital distribution is hardly going to mature if it is not given a chance to find its legs, I suppose. Oh, and spelling.

Edited by elvenwhore

I like Steam, I like Steam too much.

I have a Bigpond Cable internet connection, so even the biggest game will be ready to go in less than an hour, but I have to be careful how many I get in a month.

I haven't yet ventured into the world of Games for Windows yet.

From my experience, Steam has been a great service, but has flaws just like any other digital distribution system I have come across. With a dedicated team and feedback from the community, these flaws do get fixed so theres no reason why I wouldn't ever lose faith in Steam. :)

And then download gigs and gigs of content to play on that machine.

And to have it crash.

And then lock you out.

And then realise you're capped because you downloaded so much.

And then Gabe kicks your ass.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=11511

and

http://www.3fl.net.au/item/2009/03/steam-d...-client-release

should help

As we previously mentioned, Valve had added more download regions for Australia users to the Steam client beta. This morning these changes have now been pushed to the stable client with a bunch of other fixes included as well.

By selecting your download region, your Steam client will attempt to use that server first if its available and has the content that you're after, if it doesn't it will then try other content servers. So this should resolve the problems that users were previously having by firewalling their Steam clients or using the Steamwatch application.

So you should be able to get some content data free, depending if your ISP has a steam mirror.

Although I don't use steam much I have not had any crash or lockout problems, except when my account was hijacked by some arsehole.

If you use the inbuilt backup function you do not need to redownload everything after a windows reinstall/whatever.

Steam SUCKS!!!

No way am I downloading huge files just to play games that I cannot onsell.

All games that come out on the steam in future will NOT be getting any money from me.

You can't really onsell a lot of current games anyway, no matter the distro method. Having to register a game to an email account/activate it or whatever is basically killing onselling.

For a while on another forum I was continually dealing with ppl who had bought secondhand BF2/2142 games only to find they could not register it and the key was banned.

So better give up the idea of onselling your games.

What next, registering a DVD movie so you can't sell them either?

SAND

<------>

SAND

Don't tempt them.

aliali is right though, it's just part of the internet based age.

What next, registering a DVD movie so you can't sell them either?

SAND

<------>

SAND

Don't tempt them.

aliali is right though, it's just part of the internet based age.

Well, it was only a matter of time until the publishers caught up with the rest of us.

If the public made enough noise about reselling, then I suspect that they'd figure out a way to swing it.

Although onselling has always hurt the people providing the content, so there's little reason for them to support it.

They've just been chasing a way to make it happen that scales well.

I suspect we'll see DVD players that register the movies you play soon enough.

One thing ticked me off though

I bought TF2 a few weeks before I bought the Orange Box, and Valve refuse to acknowledge I have 2 purchased copies of TF2.

Apparently Telstra have quota-free steam servers, meaning people stuck on 3g wireless connections aren't shafted.

How much are people actually on-selling games for, these days? Don't most games now make you register it online so that EB won't let you take it back within 7 days?

When I got sick of looking at my pile of unplayed games on the shelf, I sold them off.

What are you going to do with $500-$700 of unwanted STEAM games?

+1,000,000!

This is my single biggest problem with digital distribution.

Most retail games i buy, i don't keep, i resell to buy other games.

i dont have time to explain how much i hate Steam.

the hatred is fresh in me right now coz i am wrestling with trying to convince myself i can spit on my principles, buy ETW, and somehow be better off. and things arent looking too good.

ive followed so many threads on the topic in the past month i couldnt hope to express all the reasons and arguments with comparable eloquence and venom to that of some posts ive seen, and tbh i am too over it to even try.

ya know what, if tomorrow they made Blu-Ray releases require a net connection, heres what would happen: many would object. some would be vocal. but most wouldnt even bat an eyelid. thats right, a critical mass of gutless generic consumers with a dearth of principles and foresight would roll right on over and suck the corporate cock.

all the while they would say, "Hey man don't be a luddite, it's a lot better than [ -- insert ten times more intrusive and redundant 3rd party hoop-jumping fucking bullshit content delivery system here -- ] , and everyone's got cheap internet now man and also wan't their AV system hooked up to it -- so what's the big deal man?" well, if you would be one of them, and odds are you probably would be

Posted Image

fuck you

Edited by @~thehung