iamthemaxx

Digital Distribution - Dealing in Denial

I don't download games off Steam unless it's the only way I can get them or cheaper than retail. & if my retail purchases are eventually supported by Steam (as UT3 was recently), i'll re-install them into Steam, as I have it open all the time now.

I haven't sold any of my old games i've bought off the shelf, so it doesn't impact me that way, though I can see how it does with others. So long as there's a choice of either download/retail, all should be happy.

I use Steam as a Xbox Live/PSN equivalent - a tool to meet up with people I want to play my games with, & for that, it works nicely.

Edited by Milano

When you sell a used game, you are selling your copy of, and more importantly license to use that software.

Why would you be unable to sell your license for a game simply because it was purchased outside of a store?

because Valve refuse to transfer the license from your steam account.

The main problem i see here is not the download size but everyones download LIMIT. I can understand that would be a pain but i think the majority of the world has unlimited downlaods.

I went broadband searching here in norway and i couldnt find one, not one plan with a downlaod limit! Its unlimited downloads no matter what plan you choose!

Australia = Download Limits

Europe = Unlimited Downloads

Boo to Australia!

ps. Seriously i couldnt find one plan with a download limit not even the cheapest nastiest plan in the whole country has one. Australia is really walking backwards in terms of internet techonology!

i dont mind steam. but its far from the perfect system people think it is.

however, many of the problems are based in the people rahter hten the software. for example, how many of us have been hit with an unfair ban because we jumped on an internode server, whooped everyone in the server including the admin because everyone sucked, got accused of cheating and then banned?

more then you might think, actually.

i still think it is a poor mechanic that if one game gets banned, all do. i also very much dislike the idea that valve can arbitrarily take away all your licences by banning your account.that also seems to be wrong.

the system itself is pretty good though.

ya know what, if tomorrow they made Blu-Ray releases require a net connection, heres what would happen: many would object. some would be vocal. but most wouldnt even bat an eyelid. thats right, a critical mass of gutless generic consumers with a dearth of principles and foresight would roll right on over and suck the corporate cock.

all the while they would say, "Hey man don't be a luddite, it's a lot better than [ -- insert ten times more intrusive and redundant 3rd party hoop-jumping fucking bullshit content delivery system here -- ] , and everyone's got cheap internet now man and also wan't their AV system hooked up to it -- so what's the big deal man?" well, if you would be one of them, and odds are you probably would be

fuck you

lol

The funny thing here is you are totally wrong. You don't need to choose Steam, so don't. It's that simple.

It's not like every game is brought out on Steam which forces you to "suck corporate cock".

<snip>

The damage that was done to steams rep in the early days was before it was even anything like it is now, back then all it was was a platform to play games over, you couldnt purchase anything off it, the downloads were minimal, and to be quite honest, it was never really as bad as people made out. Alot of people didnt like being forced to move from WON to Steam, but they had to and thats most likely where half of the steam bashing came from anyway.

however, many of the problems are based in the people rahter hten the software. for example, how many of us have been hit with an unfair ban because we jumped on an internode server, whooped everyone in the server including the admin because everyone sucked, got accused of cheating and then banned?

A node admin can't VAC ban you.

But effectively they can ban you from half of Australia's servers, since one pissed off admin can ban you from the entire network. Which has happened to me dozens of times.

They even IP Range banned me after I kept changing my IP address to get around their sandy vaginas.

The main problem i see here is not the download size but everyones download LIMIT. I can understand that would be a pain but i think the majority of the world has unlimited downlaods.

I went broadband searching here in norway and i couldnt find one, not one plan with a downlaod limit! Its unlimited downloads no matter what plan you choose!

Australia = Download Limits

Europe = Unlimited Downloads

Boo to Australia!

ps. Seriously i couldnt find one plan with a download limit not even the cheapest nastiest plan in the whole country has one. Australia is really walking backwards in terms of internet techonology!

To be fair, they're trying to combat that by getting the ISP's to host mirrors locally. I'm <3'ing my quota-free Bigpond downloads at the moment :)

IF you don't like it, don't use it :)

Easy.

I occationally use steam to purchase games especially when they are on special, I got Bioshock for about $5 or $10.

I don't have any issues with the service, or downloading games, its quicker than getting in the car and going to the shop.

I can go and get a snack or do something useful for 20 mins while it downloads.

If you like having a box and all that useless stuff, then just go to the shop and get it, don't complain that steam won't give it to you. :)

ya know what, if tomorrow they made Blu-Ray releases require a net connection, heres what would happen: many would object. some would be vocal. but most wouldnt even bat an eyelid. thats right, a critical mass of gutless generic consumers with a dearth of principles and foresight would roll right on over and suck the corporate cock.

all the while they would say, "Hey man don't be a luddite, it's a lot better than [ -- insert ten times more intrusive and redundant 3rd party hoop-jumping fucking bullshit content delivery system here -- ] , and everyone's got cheap internet now man and also wan't their AV system hooked up to it -- so what's the big deal man?" well, if you would be one of them, and odds are you probably would be

fuck you

lol

The funny thing here is you are totally wrong. You don't need to choose Steam, so don't. It's that simple.

It's not like every game is brought out on Steam which forces you to "suck corporate cock".

i am not 'totally wrong' at all. your thread is about 'getting with the times' "cause it's not like these [digital distibution methods] will be leaving us any time soon" implying that we should all be rejoicing -- ignorant to the ironic byproducts of said "progress", namely, an ever-increasing degradation of consumer freedom. yes, its the way of the future, but i dont have to like it. and dire projections to the effect that these degradations will continue to the point of market dominance or near exclusivity are hardly unfounded, evinced by yet another current Steam-only release by a major publisher, in the form of Empire: Total War. this is a franchise i have supported for some time, but now have little choice but to accept its association with fascist DRM in order to play it legitimately. i have to inform a third party that i have been a good boy and then ask this surrogate mummy if i can play my game today. i spit on that.

perhaps you are wrong through not being aware of, or by default of failing to acknowledge, that concerns over download speeds and quotas are hardly at the crux of arguments against the fabian malignance of programs like Steam!

Crying over a completely unobtrusive form of DRM is really nothing short of petty. It's on about the same level as crying that you have to enter a cd-key into the game to install it since the publisher clearly doesn't trust that you own a legit copy. Enter cd-key -> Install game -> play Game, install Steam Game -> go offline mode -> play game. There's really no difference at all.

Crying over a completely unobtrusive form of DRM is really nothing short of petty. It's on about the same level as crying that you have to enter a cd-key into the game to install it since the publisher clearly doesn't trust that you own a legit copy. Enter cd-key -> Install game -> play Game, install Steam Game -> go offline mode -> play game. There's really no difference at all.

But we're on the interent.

When you're on the internet, you can't like anything!

Good thing I don't like you then...

Good thing I don't like you then...

Well I don't like you either!

/me runs off and cries in the corner

ive installed and reinstalled all sorts of games at all sorts of times, including times i did not have access to the net. not possessing a lappy with a hard drive of infinite capacity, ive travelled with a few game discs and done just that. at any time, if i'd wanted to, i couldve sold or given away those games without violating any draconian EULA...and (amazingly) other people couldve made use of them!

yeah, no difference at all...

*rolls eyes*

So it's now a fascist program because your laptop has a small harddrive and you can't prioritise what you'd like to take with you? Do you have trouble deciding which pairs of shoes and what colour handbags to take away with you too?

Digital Distribution is good, and a step forward.

Digital distribution which takes away your rights and restricts your use is bad, and a step backwards.

i couldve sold or given away those games without violating any draconian EULA.

Are you sure?

no ;) i understand the issue of where first-sale type limitations apply is contentious for a number of reasons.

either way. the fact is, those games are certainly resellable in an unofficial capacity sanctioned by the customary doctrines of basic fucking decency and fairness. and whether or not i have to 'lose' my copy of Far Cry at your house and then later sell you a vegemite sandwich for $25, really doesnt matter. the game will work, as well it should. but next you'll tell me you couldnt legally play it lol.

edit: resaleable? thats not a word

Edited by @~thehung

So it's now a fascist program because your laptop has a small harddrive and you can't prioritise what you'd like to take with you? Do you have trouble deciding which pairs of shoes and what colour handbags to take away with you too?

no,

and no.

IMO the argument stands like this: good internet is cheap which makes it easy to download the games and Hard drives are getting cheaper for desktops and laptops, so if you are going to use things like that as an excuse to hate steam then thats your fault for being a tightass.

enough said sorry if anyone gets offended but its the truth.

I thought the idea of Steam was you could download your games on any computer, so just download the ones onto your laptop you're currently playing. When you're done, uninstall them.

IMO the argument stands like this: good internet is cheap which makes it easy to download the games and Hard drives are getting cheaper for desktops and laptops, so if you are going to use things like that as an excuse to hate steam then thats your fault for being a tightass.

so says mr privileged, who clearly doesn't subside on a paycheck of about $100 a week on average, and clearly lives in a location where the internet works properly.

lots of us live in places where the internet doesnt work properly, and lots of us live on very small paychecks. we arnt tightarses, we just dont have the options available to you.