iamthemaxx

Digital Distribution - Dealing in Denial

You realise you're all talking about best case scenarios?

Offline mode has a history of being buggy as hell and deciding it needs a net connection to confirm it's still in offline mode. Not to mention the problems with internet plans in Australia and the limitation of only possessing a soft copy of a title you purchased.

Steam is far from perfect. It has its uses, but the tone of "LOL U R RONG" in blind defence of Steam on the internet is Downy.

My only problem with Steam is the whole onselling issue. However this could be pretty easily fixed if users were able to sell their unwanted game licenses to other Steam users. Not perfect, of course, as you can't just sell it to ANYONE. But I believe the STEAM population is at a point where there are enough people out there to create a market for "second-hand" games.

So it can be like an MMO auction house, with players putting up their games for whatever price they think is reasonable. Maybe someone'll buy it, maybe they won't. The seller gets credit for the STEAM store; the buyer obviously pays STEAM the money, and STEAM takes a cut for offering the service (5% or something - just enough to cover their costs and contribute to the developers).

If the system had that feature, and didn't require an internet connection just to play a SP game - two thumbs way up, baby!

EDIT: I don't know if it has this feature, but some kind of automated "backup" facility would be good. I have myself kept a backup of game data for Windows reinstallation purposes so I don't have to use gigs of my cap again - just start the download, pause it, copy the files into the folder STEAM creates and let it get updated. But some officially-sanctioned process to save all that downloading would benefit consumers and Valve IMHO.

Edited by thesorehead

IMO the argument stands like this: good internet is cheap which makes it easy to download the games and Hard drives are getting cheaper for desktops and laptops, so if you are going to use things like that as an excuse to hate steam then thats your fault for being a tightass.

so says mr privileged, who clearly doesn't subside on a paycheck of about $100 a week on average, and clearly lives in a location where the internet works properly.

lots of us live in places where the internet doesnt work properly, and lots of us live on very small paychecks. we arnt tightarses, we just dont have the options available to you.

If the money you're earning isn't enough, go out and earn more or figure out a way to utilise your money better.

If the internet in your area is lacking, move.

You realise you're all talking about best case scenarios?

Offline mode has a history of being buggy as hell and deciding it needs a net connection to confirm it's still in offline mode. Not to mention the problems with internet plans in Australia and the limitation of only possessing a soft copy of a title you purchased.

Steam is far from perfect. It has its uses, but the tone of "LOL U R RONG" in blind defence of Steam on the internet is Downy.

Sorry to hear people are still having issues with Offline Mode - Mine settled down over a year ago

Used to have constant issues, with it tell me things like "Half Life 2 cannot run while in offline mode", but it has settled down nicely for me

I use Offline mode all the time due to being on wireless broadband, and must say Ive been happy with it for ages now - No real issues on my end

Only gripe I have is having to restart Steam to go on or offline - And thats fairly minor

Steam would never allow the onselling of their games, because it would lose them revenue from new purchases.

Why not just see Steam games as a Service, rather than Goods. Just like pay-per-view pay TV.

It's all in the mind.

IMO the argument stands like this: good internet is cheap which makes it easy to download the games and Hard drives are getting cheaper for desktops and laptops, so if you are going to use things like that as an excuse to hate steam then thats your fault for being a tightass.

so says mr privileged, who clearly doesn't subside on a paycheck of about $100 a week on average, and clearly lives in a location where the internet works properly.

lots of us live in places where the internet doesnt work properly, and lots of us live on very small paychecks. we arnt tightarses, we just dont have the options available to you.

I only live off $600 a week and have car repayments which are nearly $500 a month plus other things so I am not privileged in any way and having been raised in a single parent home I have to work for what I want, its not my fault you only earn $100 a week but if you have a problem with it either a. go do more hours or b. quit your bitching because when I was at school bringing in $350 a week and doing harder subjects like chemistry, physics and maths B was part of the norm.

Edited by nesquick

I only live off $600 a week and have car repayments which are nearly $500 a month plus other things so I am not privileged in any way

sorry mate. $600 a week? thats privileged, from my point of view. im in uni, i dont have time to get a better job, i cant afford to move, and i sure as hell cant afford to throw money away on arbitrarily increasing my HDD space. im not the only one in this situation. if you are going to base your argument off "people should just spend money to fix the problem" you are gonna have to accept you are going to offend those of us who dont have money to throw around.

Steam would never allow the onselling of their games, because it would lose them revenue from new purchases.

Why not just see Steam games as a Service, rather than Goods. Just like pay-per-view pay TV.

It's all in the mind.

+1

It's all in the way people percieve something.

We pay our phone bills, our line rentals, our pay tv and internet bills.

I've bought my last few major titles over Steam and I've been really pleased with it to be honest. Keeps my games up todate, neatly organised and lets me play the games often the *morning* they're released.

That said, I suspect there will *always* be a market for those who want to buy their games from a local store.

They're just have to come to accept DRM as a matter of course. Yes, yet another example of the masses being punished for the crimes of a few.

But that's the society we live in. Steam's DRM has been the *least* troublesome for me of all the various schemes used in the past.

I'm sure the platform will only improve with time.

What next, registering a DVD movie so you can't sell them either?

SAND

<------>

SAND

I'll call you nostradamus :) It's not a far step for a distro method that requires a Java Virtual Machine (like Blu Ray)

I only live off $600 a week and have car repayments which are nearly $500 a month plus other things so I am not privileged in any way

sorry mate. $600 a week? thats privileged, from my point of view. im in uni, i dont have time to get a better job, i cant afford to move, and i sure as hell cant afford to throw money away on arbitrarily increasing my HDD space. im not the only one in this situation. if you are going to base your argument off "people should just spend money to fix the problem" you are gonna have to accept you are going to offend those of us who dont have money to throw around.

Maybe you should find a new hobby if you cant afford your current one. Or find a different way to get your games, but for most people with full time jobs, its not hard to afford, unless you make commitments that you shouldnt.

Get with the times?

The 'times' are "Save money".

Got a bub on the way and I can't justify an additional $10/month to get anywhere near decent bandwidth needed. It'd take AGES to download a game (512k connection) and I get 5Gig per month.

Digital distribution would be awesome if they partnered with ISPs to put it in their 'free downloads' section. If they did that it'd be fantastics. Most ISPs have a free-downloads section and if they allowed Steam or any other digital distribution platform in to be free-download that would be fantastic.

Otherwise... I'm sticking to DVDs and CDs.

AD

Get with the times?

Got a bub on the way and I can't justify an additional $10/month to get anywhere near decent bandwidth needed. It'd take AGES to download a game (512k connection) and I get 5Gig per month.

Digital distribution would be awesome if they partnered with ISPs to put it in their 'free downloads' section. If they did that it'd be fantastics. Most ISPs have a free-downloads section and if they allowed Steam or any other digital distribution platform in to be free-download that would be fantastic.

AD

95% of my Steam downloads come off my ISP free download section already...

So if you don't like digital distribution do you go to the shops and pay $100 for a game when it first comes out? because I certainly don't!

I will use left4dead as an example it was $100 in shops on release I payed $60 AUD for it so $40 more towards Empire:TW I thought and even though I don't have a DVD of it I can easily make one once its downloaded by backing up game files.

Get with the times?

AD

I help mates out all the time by taking a copy of my local steam directory, having them purchase the game in steam, then just bring the files over on a portable Hard Drive.

Works a treat and costs them nothing in terms of time or bandwidth.

As some people have mentioned, if you shop smart, Steam can prove *much* cheaper than what you'll pay in store anyways.

I picked up Dawn of War 2 for $60 AUD, while people buying from EB were paying $100.

With internode now mirroring all the Steam content locally on their network, the downloads from Steam are all included for free.

Get with the times?

AD

I help mates out all the time by taking a copy of my local steam directory, having them purchase the game in steam, then just bring the files over on a portable Hard Drive.

Works a treat and costs them nothing in terms of time or bandwidth.

As some people have mentioned, if you shop smart, Steam can prove *much* cheaper than what you'll pay in store anyways.

I picked up Dawn of War 2 for $60 AUD, while people buying from EB were paying $100.

With internode now mirroring all the Steam content locally on their network, the downloads from Steam are all included for free.

WTF!!! Internode now has Steam? When did that happen and why didn't I hear about it?!?!?! (Yes.. I'm with Internode).

Perhaps I *MAY* finally forgive Steam for being D@#kheads.

AD

My "you are wrong" comment is actually in reply to the statement about me going along with the ridiculous idea of DVD's needing authentication.

I like Steam because it gives me access to awesome games with relative ease.

If you don't like it. Fine.

There is no need to harp on and labelling people cock suckers and what not (although I did enjoy this response).

But, it is the internet after all.

It's all in the mind.

Please stop making sense.

So if you don't like digital distribution do you go to the shops and pay $100 for a game when it first comes out? because I certainly don't!

I will use left4dead as an example it was $100 in shops on release I payed $60 AUD for it so $40 more towards Empire:TW I thought and even though I don't have a DVD of it I can easily make one once its downloaded by backing up game files.

Nit-picking:

I picked up L4D on day of release from JB for 79 bucks - I paid the extra to save on cap

Least we have options at the moment though - This is what I dont want to lose

Least we have options at the moment though - This is what I dont want to lose

STOP MAKING SENSE!

Damn you people. It's obvious that some don't want to give up having indie games available in a centralised platform for good prices - even if people that want these games want to live with the ups and downs that is said platform.

Just like I am not going to MAKE people use this platform.

We have choices.

I even downloaded an independent game called The Maw at my last purchase, simply because it looked funny and it was cheap.

I'd probably not even look at it in a shop, and it's actually quite well promoted on Steam as well.

I'd like to see independent developers a lot more on Steam.

Missed out on World of Goo when it was on special though :(

Regarding DRM, it really is an issue simply because its likely to **** around with your system but as I recall, earlier versions of SecuROM were not quite draconian. While I accept the fact that copy protection does have a purpose, it's not perfect and definitely needs to go back to the drawing board as well as Steam's version.

I've been using Steam for about 3 to 4 years now and the only thing I'm annoyed about is the region restriction on a portion of the games, though I will still be happy to purchase other games if I wish to. All is good. :)

And as Maxx also said, we have choices.

Maybe if the US dollar wasn't so bad, we probably wouldn't be complaining and it would be nice if all ISP's have free quota on Steam games.

Edited by Blue Fire

My steam experience has been good... although i've only been using it for 2 years...

filled with neich games, filled with popular games.

all is good.

lack of a schedular for off peak downloads is a :(, but what can you do?

lack of a schedular for off peak downloads is a :(, but what can you do?

Use the Vista Task Scheduler, as was proposed earlier in this thread I think :)