Sign in to follow this  
g.t.o

A gamers broken peripheral frustration:

Ever since I re-enrolled in university I have taken to playing games again - just as a stress reducing strategy - and mainly I find myself embroiled in Dawn Of War (Dark Crusade - not that Soulstorm bollocks), Supreme Commander Forged Alliance and Call of Duty 4. The light annoyances of gaming - i.e. finding that correct method to down that slightly more skilled player or having to constantly hit the mute shortcut because the thirteen year old I keep shooting through the head is screaming away in such a way that makes me want to stick a broom handle covered in brake fluid up his arse - ease the more arduous tensions of my day, namely relearning how to program in C++ from a tutor that only speaks in broken Japlish.

Last night it was business as usual. Flick on the desktop, get a Redbull and prepare to chill out. Tonight however my keyboard - which has served faithfully for two years, even through my keyboard-based Stepmania phase - decided that the WASD, number pad and arrow keys would pack up and die, just as I had spawned in COD 4 no less. I quickly discovered that the escape key had died too, which led to much profanity and alcohol drinking. What else is there to do at eleven at night with a broken keyboard, a giant case of the procrastinations and only a netbook and someone else's unsecured network for company (not what your thinking of you sicko) ?

And while we are talking about theft and sickness, it was the next day that I wandered into my local Ye Olde Computer Shoppe to find that in the last twenty four months the price for a decent keyboard has spiked dramatically. This led as a matter of course to me making a beeline to the nearest available pub for a pint, tempering my anger over some cheesy snacks while I cradling my new Logitech wave.

I stopped to consider the amount of anger and frustration that had gone into the past twenty four hours or so and the effort I went through to correct the aforesaid peripheral problem as rapidly as possible.

Is it that the relief I gained from the escapism that gaming provides makes me put more effort and concern into getting my nightly fix of call of duty than my next web development project (bearing in mind that I have already finished my assignments by the time I play video games so judge me not on that point, I said concern not actual action...)?

My question for all the PC gamers out there is how do you deal with hardware failure of any kind? If your motherboard were to fry would you (funds permitting) run outside the next day and get a new one? Are you the kind of person who will get physically violent with aforementioned hardware or are you more of a wailing and gnashing of teeth type of person? Or are you the more passive "Oh well I will just go to bed." type?

Conversely can a game get you so frustrated that you peg the offending controller/keyboard/wireless mouse/monitor/cat through the nearest window?

Just interested in your experiences or (looking back on your reactions to unexpected gaming circumstances whether it be hardware or software based) the type of reaction you believe you are most prone to.

I have a laptop if things where to get hairy on my main PC.

It's not the most powerful little thing, but it handles basic games and can keep me entertained until my main one was fixed. ^_^

My 4870x2 died last night, just as I installed my Q9550, I'm now using an 8800GTS 320mb, how do you think I dealt with it? -.-

I have a laptop if things where to get hairy on my main PC.

It's not the most powerful little thing, but it handles basic games and can keep me entertained until my main one was fixed. ^_^

same, and when my hardware dies, i just replace it. why smash things around? it solves nothing.

I once kicked a hard drive into a muddy driveway, then stomped on it a few times.

At work, I will often use scissors to cut cables on faulty equipment, it's a sort of therapy.

My left mouse button broke, cause I got the crankys in CoD4 lol. I still use the dam mouse but the button keeps falling out :P

Razor here I come!

Edited by index680i

I once kicked a hard drive into a muddy driveway, then stomped on it a few times.

At work, I will often use scissors to cut cables on faulty equipment, it's a sort of therapy.

If you repair PC's as your job, then I am avoiding your shop :P ROFL!

If something fails on me, I will either fix it, or destroy it further during my repair

If I wreck it, no biggy - Goes into my parts bin. Will either get used to fix something else later on, or be used up making terrain for wargaming

Do that too - Saves me or someone else from fishing the item out later going "Wonder if this still works?". Do it even more so with old microwaves and TVs I throw out - Means some dero cant come along, grab it, take it home then fry themselves

Methinks you could have easily afforded a decent keyboard if you had of skipped the red bull, alcohol binge, cheesy snacks and trip to the pub :P

Oh and i have had two Logitech G5's completely die in a row, and my third one has buttons that have rattled annoyingly whenever i click since i took it out of its box brand new.

There will be no more of this G5 shit after this one dies :|

I agree phatbeat, i own a g9 mouse and a g15 keyboard, also a set of logitech speakers, the best of the line before the 5500's came out. all that gear has treated me lovingly with some massive gaming sessions.

Methinks you could have easily afforded a decent keyboard if you had of skipped the [...] alcohol [...]

This.

What's with everyone's obsession with drinking and being drunk these days?

"What you doing after work on Friday?" "Going out and getting smashed..."

WTF?

I'm pretty passive about it...I'd just be patient and try to see if I could fix it. I know too many people that go off their nut when something doesn't work.

Methinks you could have easily afforded a decent keyboard if you had of skipped the [...] alcohol [...]

This.

What's with everyone's obsession with drinking and being drunk these days?

"What you doing after work on Friday?" "Going out and getting smashed..."

WTF?

Dont say that shit!!

KRudd is hoping everyone believes drinking is on the decline - He wants to think the alcopop tax is working!!

My question for all the PC gamers out there is how do you deal with hardware failure of any kind? If your motherboard were to fry would you (funds permitting) run outside the next day and get a new one? Are you the kind of person who will get physically violent with aforementioned hardware or are you more of a wailing and gnashing of teeth type of person? Or are you the more passive "Oh well I will just go to bed." type?

Conversely can a game get you so frustrated that you peg the offending controller/keyboard/wireless mouse/monitor/cat through the nearest window?

I have plenty of other hobbies, I'd just go find something else to do :-) Replacing the offending part would then become the priority, though.

I don't tend to get frustrated by games to the point of violence :-) although it's not unusual to hear me talking at the screen or whatever ticked me off. Well, swearing at the screen is probably more accurate :-p

Me too :-) Then, depending on the type of cable, it gets snaffled home with me and made into jewellery :-) The cords from headphones make fantastic neck cords for pendants :-)

I have plenty of spare keyboards and mice to use as back ups.

+1.

I have a spare keyboard and mouse in my parts box.

Otherwise I will use one of my consoles to pass the time. I have a full size bluetooth keyboard for my PS3 so if I need internets, I can still use that.

My mated smashed his side panel on his case cause his PC wouldn't boot (i think he forgot to plug a PSU cable in). I normally try to fix it and if it doesn't work ill wait till i go to the shops till i get one...wont just rambo out and get one.

I don't think I've ever rage-broken something. Or raged after it broke. Gone all emo and sad, maybe, but not ragey.

As with many others, I'll try and fix things. I have, when I'm at home, quite a few spare parts around to test things with.

And if I can't fix it, STRAIGHT TO THE SELLER OF NEW PARTS!

I have a spare PC, but .. well... it doesn't really play games. It does, but not well enough.

I hope you were wearing steel capped boots. Hard drives seem to be rather blunt and heavy in my experience. (Well, heavy enough that it would hurt my foot if I were to kick it...)

LOL! I've broken a set of headphones, a mic, stuffed up three mouses (left click doesn't work for all of them :P) and accidentally killed a few motherboards/PSUs a few times...

Hrm, I was worrying about this the other day, I don't have a spare mouse anymore, and I'm betting as soon as I finish typing my current g5 will die!

But yeah, mostly I've got lying around enough bits to make a useful PC, and if not, I'll go do something else and buy new bits on the morrow.

Edited by pwarren

Well, it depends on the part, really. I mean, if one of my cathodes died, I'd probably just buy another one. On the other hand, if a HDD with half a TB of precious STUFF died before I had a chance to back it up, well, I'd probably enter a catatonic state for a week, staring blankly into space mentally cataloguing all the stuff I'd lost.

Yeah.

heh, oh yeah, and if it's the HTPC or storage server that goes down, it has to be fixed ASAP, or I get in trouble with jwarren!