The Fuzz damn you!

Will the crappy sound of MP3 replace the crappy sound of vinyl?

Men in white coats say "YES!"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009...y-prefer-mp3s/1

Seems that kids these days are actually starting to *prefer* the sound of lossy music over the more reproductions available. For much the same reason as some people prefer the pops and crackles of vinyl -- being the sound they grew up with -- it looks like people will look back with fondness and nostalgia on the sound of... well, crap.

How about you? Do you prefer MP3s? Or do you like your music "the way it was intended?" And how about you vinyl aficionados? What's your excuse?

I prefer the crappy sound of vinyl :)

Also, if the record/stylus is clean the amount of surface noise should be negligible or non existent even ;)

CD comes in second, and has never been better than vinyl, for sound quality........Sure, the numbers look good. Though if the front end can extract plenty of info, they can sound pretty damn good.

The big telling is in the production/recording processes, some vinyl & CD's sound like crap and some are fantastic.

Compressed formats don't even get a look in by me, they suck :( - Silk Purse - Sows Ear and all that, impossible to fix what is broken to begin with :P

Edited by datafast69

I prefer CDs.

It's what I grew up with. MP3s are used simply because of convineince: 192kb/s being the bare minimum I'll listen to. 256kb/s is preferable.

CD (and SACD/DVD-A) win for me. The quality is great for the level of effort required - Vinyl can be better, but the effort and equipment required to exceed the lossless digital formats is not worth it to me.

MP3 etc have the convenience of size. 4GB = dozens of albums of music at reasonable quality - good enough for music on the move.

They are the the current top of the pile convenience format, smallest size and the except for CD, the sound is the second best portable sound we have had (with options to match it if you are happy with less music for the same space - which is quickly becoming irrelevant with increased flash densities)

Buy CDs, and rip to MP3 = best of both worlds for me.

i prefer vinyl too.

the popping and crackling adds to that certain warmth from vinyl, the sound that is just lost with cd's.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

I'm split between CD's and vinyl.

CD's because they're fairly cheap and the added convenience of being able to rip it. (FLAC for me)

Vinyl's, I can't quite put my finger on what it is (well I can, but I'd have to clean it straight away). Maybe it's the large artwork. Or the slightly different sound. I don't know. But I like it. A lot.

Vinyl sounds better........CDs are more convenient.

I like the sound of old bones crunching and rattling, being young is more convenient.

Vinyl sounds better........CDs are more convenient.

I like the sound of old bones crunching and rattling, being young is more convenient.

Good hearing is wasted on the young.

I store my CDs as waves only resorting to MP3 @ 320 kbps when I have to work from a memstick or I go to Uncle Torrence for a sample before I make an online purchase {:)

I'm split between CD's and vinyl.

CD's because they're fairly cheap and the added convenience of being able to rip it. (FLAC for me)

Vinyl's, I can't quite put my finger on what it is (well I can, but I'd have to clean it straight away). Maybe it's the large artwork. Or the slightly different sound. I don't know. But I like it. A lot.

You can always rip the vinyl at 24 bit 96Khz.

Massive fan of CD's, I love the crisp clean hihats, rolling bass hits and the absolute absence of any background cracks and pops. If i want cracks and pops, i'll listen to my cd through my creative soundcard :D

Have recently been replacing all of my mp3 320 Kb/s with apple lossless. I use a lot of wireless streaming of music and mp3's sound completely shit wirelessly. Funnily enough AL doesnt.

The thing I find a bit weird is the care factor of speakers/headphones nowadays. Speakers are the most important part of any setup - if the speakers/headphones are shit, the sound quality will be too. I cringe everytime I see someone using a set of apple headphones that were supplied with the ipod adn you see this all the time. Suffice to say I like listening to my music at 7.1 at home, so this is really importat to me....on the plane with headphones? Etymotics all the way.

Lazzarus, you make a good point regarding the importance of speakers (or head speakers), though I can never understand why anyone would listen to music in anything but stereo (two speakers).

I can see the sense in surround for gaming and movies, but not music.

Horses for courses I suppose :)

Honestly, sound quality has never bothered me. Hell, I didn't even consider what would happen if I spent more than $20 on speakers for my pc.

Just seems like a waste of money. Visual is all I care about :)

It will be interesting to see how things go as the kids grow up. I suspect, however, that the "MP3 generation" will not be too different from my own, in that some people will appreciate good sound and the vast majority won't care all that much. For the youth of today it's MP3s, for myself and my kin it was AM/FM radio, warping tapes and LPs.

I agree with the importance of good speakers regardless of source, and IMHO there will always be a place for the higher-quality components and recordings. The recording process is also terribly important.

I have younger sisters who mostly listen to compressed music, so when they hear a CD on my (modest, but nice) system they feel it's too bassy; or too "full". But then I point out that this is what the music is *supposed* to sound like, and that the existence of bass does not (unlike with their crappy headphones) all but cancel out any other sounds.

So, it's like anything I suppose: you get used to what you grew up with. But I'm sure that just like myself if they bother to give it a shot, they'll still be able to appreciate the finer points of good sound.

Yeah, well...........I can remember people saying cassette tape was great!

There will always be people who hear but don't listen.

Lazzarus, you make a good point regarding the importance of speakers (or head speakers), though I can never understand why anyone would listen to music in anything but stereo (two speakers).

I can see the sense in surround for gaming and movies, but not music.

Horses for courses I suppose :)

Yeh i do enjoy the full immersion that 7 speakers gives - I also find that I can hear different "levels" in different places with a good surround setup.

It does depend a lot on the type of music you listen to and the complexities involved. To me two sources sounds flat, however a good two speaker setup will always sound better than an el cheapo 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

I'm surprised that Lazz hasn't become a SACD fan.

Hmm not nearly enough support for the more mainstream music - as the majority of SACD music produced is classical - and while im not adverse to listening to a bit of Mozart or Mendelssohn its not really the first thing I turn to.

Give it a few years and I may give a differing opinion :D

The recording process is also terribly important.

Yeh just look at Metallica's newest album. Man that hurts my ears!

I hate opera.......and classical runs a close second.

Heavy rock is my go.

The remastered version of Deep Purple's 'Fireball', is exquisite..............to steal a line from our friend nickeax.

i prefer vinyl too.

the popping and crackling adds to that certain warmth from vinyl, the sound that is just lost with cd's.

even putting clicks/pops aside, all of the warmth you speak of, is not lost with CDs. its created by the production and playback of a vinyl record.

and on that topic, it wont be all that long until all the characteristic distortions of LPs, which many judge to be a pleasant enhancement, can be exactly reproduced through digital means -- and played back perfectly from 96kHz/20bit files.

i have a traditional SLR camera, and i suspect i will always like the idea of keeping a dark room (which i dont atm, but will one day), even though the technology has been superceded by digital, or soon will be -- depending on who you ask. similarly, some will go to their graves clutching their vinyl set ups, but even though vinyl sales are up again, they are inferior technology whose days are numbered.

There's room for several formats. CD is still the best 'all-rounder' though.

Digital formats at higher bit-rates will be fine for most listening (talking shit with friends, washing the dishes etc), but the hardware is holding it back more so than the formats.

The issue I find with digital streaming is there are no breaks. 6 hours or 6 weeks of endless playing time doesn't allow for any contemplation of what you just listened to. How can you really appreciate that last CD release by [insert artists name here] when your straight into something else?

There's no quiet time. No end. We don't listen endlessly. A large portion of folks using MP3 players on PT are also reading a book, paper or magazine. Hell, or even talking shit with friends. Music is cancelled out and therefore you may as well be listening to the radio or nothing at all. Recording engineers are attacked for their abuse of compression so their tracks stand out on the radio over others. I wonder if they do it because a lot of people just don't give a shit about music quality anymore? Quantity over quality.

As for vinyl. Some turntable supports (racks) cost almost as much as the mid to high end CDP's. So long as esoteric gear is available for vinyl, so too will the LP's.

My 2 cents, or rant, or some-such-nonsense :D

Edited by lazyfly

I'm always somewhat bewildered by people saying that vinyl is inferior technology.

Can I ask, what is the sampling rate and bit depth of vinyl?

The answer to that, and the consequences of sampling and bit depth, should give an idea of why I can appreciate why people still enjoy listening to clean vinyls so much.

I also find it amusing to hear people say that CD can mimic, or reproduce, the 'warmth' of a vinyl.

Seems to me that the warmth is likely coming from it being an analog recording; which is definitely something which a CD can not reproduce.

I'm always somewhat bewildered by people saying that vinyl is inferior technology.

Can I ask, what is the sampling rate and bit depth of vinyl?

The answer to that, and the consequences of sampling and bit depth, should give an idea of why I can appreciate why people still enjoy listening to clean vinyls so much.

You need to know the bandwidth and dynamic range.

I also find it amusing to hear people say that CD can mimic, or reproduce, the 'warmth' of a vinyl.

Seems to me that the warmth is likely coming from it being an analog recording; which is definitely something which a CD can not reproduce.

Many analogue recordings are transfered to CD and it does come through. The recording is more important than the media. All the media formats are capable of handling the frequencies required, including higher order harmonics.