The Fuzz damn you!

Will the crappy sound of MP3 replace the crappy sound of vinyl?

Yeah..........there's a lot of people who just think that music is music and therefore better speakers will make it sound better.

Unfortunately, the opposite is true.

The better the speakers, the better the source material needs to be.

thats the point i was gonna raise.

320kbps MP3s are acceptable IMO because so few circumstances exist where you'll have equipment good enough to hear any better.

If you're an audiophile or do this as a real passion (like a know datafast does) then you WILL have the equipment, and WAV\FLAC\ORIGINAL sources will be required or preffered. I however, use the cheaper end of sennheisers headphone range, mid range logitech and altec lansing PC speakers, and a panasonic stereo with focus on the very low end and very high end (electronica and power metal, lol) so as much as yes, im re-ripping all my CDs to FLAC atm, thats purely because sometimes im lazy and damage my CDs, I will not be deleting my MP3s, as I dont have the equipment to hear any better. and just as the study shows, if i ever get that equipment, hopefully im used to 'compressed' sound of those tracks and wont care.

My cousin has a big home theatre setup, dont ask what, ive forgotten, but hes a stupidly huge audiophile, and playing my 256kbps+ audio tracks on his system proved to make them sound better wthout revealing any artifacts or any 'flatness' (and since losing most of my eyes, my ears are picky picky and sensitive fuckers).

Im glad we hit FLAC, 99.9% (sometimes 100%) lossless compressed music means as soon as the industry manages to actually force people over to it, this whole debate and issue will be a thing of the past.

Im sure people will still try to argue that the original source is "SO MUCH BETTER" than my 99.9% original FLAC, but sometimes life is too short for arguments, and i think flac is a point where close enough is MORE THAN good enough.

Also something i wanted to pont out to those who havent considered it. Most recording studios have gone digital, so getting a pressed vinyl as opposed to a FLAC fgile compressed from the master, or getting a CD stamped from the master, is a whole extra CONVERSION from digital to analogue. Old vinyls rock and im a huge fan, but new vinyls, think about it.

agreed, but its still a conversion process from digital to analogue. and some CDs have a 96khz track option too.

i think these days vinyl and CDs are much of a muchness, though i agree wholeheartedly on older recordings, vinyl all the way.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the whole point of FLAC to be lossless?

I've tested FLAC on many an occasion... it has a very extensive test kit that tries running FLAC through its paces at a number of settings. The input sample is usually random data taken from /dev/urandom interpreted as 16-bit or 32-bit linear PCM. It compresses, decompresses then compares the data. They also try a number of other types of audio... sinusoids, etc... other mathematically generated audio.

It's one of the most thorough test suites I've seen in the opensource world... and usually takes the poor MIPS boxes I throw it at, the best part of a day, sometimes two, to complete. The package in Gentoo does not get my "~mips" stamp of approval until it passes, which it usually does.

So I beg to differ on this 99.9% nonsense. If it isn't 100%, you're doing it wrong.

agreed, but its still a conversion process from digital to analogue. and some CDs have a 96khz track option too.

i think these days vinyl and CDs are much of a muchness, though i agree wholeheartedly on older recordings, vinyl all the way.

I'm of the school that thinks the least number of conversions the better.

Although I know plenty of engineers that don't care how many or how many times they do AD/DA conversions.

So I beg to differ on this 99.9% nonsense. If it isn't 100%, you're doing it wrong.

The only reason i went with 99.9% is EAC tells you at what quality the rip will come out at, or, did come out at.

usually its 98%-100%, rarely you got 100% listed, it is usually 99.9%.

if it really is lossless all the time, which is what i was lead to believe also, was just trusting an apps statitics, then thats fantastic.

Yeah..........there's a lot of people who just think that music is music and therefore better speakers will make it sound better.

Unfortunately, the opposite is true.

The better the speakers, the better the source material needs to be.

This is so true, I have even got rid of many titles due to the crappy quality, but I have many good ones still :)

This is supposed to be representative of how most people copy to Mp3 for play back?

You will put in place something that will prevent me from cheating, yet I have to trust you on whether or not I have picked right or wrong?

Sorry, but this is a fucking joke!

Just be happy with what you now believe ;)

alright. i tried.

weird response from you though. i never said it was meant to be representative of how most people copy to mp3, it is -- as should be quite obvious -- a test of one persons ability to distinguish between mp3 and wav.

but most curious of all is this: "yet I have to trust you on whether or not I have picked right or wrong". decline participation if you like, but theres really no need to adopt such a miffed and incredulous tone when its plain you didnt read/understand my CLEAR description. the cheating prevention goes both ways. moreover, whilst it would still be possible for you to cheat, it would be quite impossible for me to do so.

how could miss the part where

a) i give you the means to exactly reproduce all the files yourself

b) i would post the answers before you posted yours

?

/dissappointed

what kind of a dumb arsed response is that?

maybe youre laughing at my misspelling of disappointed...

That double 's' always gets me too.

Anyway, when you know the truth, there is no need to prove it.

Is this a jealousy thing?

thehung, mate, I suggest you let go, and move on :)

I do find your determination admirable, even though a little odd :P

Edited by datafast69

datafast, mate, maybe look up to the first line of my second to last post, if you can. does "alright. i tried." sound like resignation to you?

a couple of reasons you supplied as to why my test is "a fucking joke" were shown by myself to be completely unfounded. rather than a simple decent acknowledgement of what you must have misunderstood/overlooked in your reasoning, instead i get smug laughter. i find that a little more than a little odd.

Whatever, mate.

I was just surprised that you didn't give up much earlier :P

Edit:Anyway, now that this is over, have a good night :)

Edited by datafast69

I love audio!

Me too :)

A little peeved ATM as I just noticed that side 3 on Raising Sand has a little scuff mark on one track, and I didn't do it :(

Playback is not effected though :)

Hehe...probably happened in packing of it, long before I received it *sigh*

Retiring my TT till I recap the Marantz anyway, and getting the new chip in the DAC in a week or so, that will make CD's a real pleasure till the phono stage on the Marantz is done :)

Might rewire the TT then too :D

Edit:Typo.

Edited by datafast69

I love audio!

Me too :)

A little peeved ATM as I just noticed that side 3 on Raising Sand has a little scuff mark on one track, and I didn't do it :(

Playback is not effected though :)

My new copy of Nude (7") has a nice big scratch, thus I can't play the track from the very start.

Was not impressed.

That's the only time it's happened to me though.

Odd considering I've bought some thrashed one dollar vinyls from markets that play just fine.

Yeah, markets can be good, record fairs are also a good source, I missed one on the weekend here in Brisbane :(

Sometimes vinyl for a few dollars each are better than a lot of new stuff :)

I found five in absolute perfect condition last week, Janis Ian-Night Rain, Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms, Eagles-Hotel California, and two by Andreas Vollenweider.

Only drawback is, it takes a lot of looking to find them, along with bucket loads of luck.

I rarely buy vinyl new.

Edited by datafast69