Sign in to follow this  
Mr a-bomb

The Windows Vista Appreciation Thread

Windows Vista  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you say Vista is a fine operating system?

• Yes. Yes, I would.

For me, Vista is fine. It works, I've had no major hardware issues with it.

I like other people, waited before adopting it while they iron out the major bugs. It's been stable and very fast for me.

I'm happy to support software that I use by paying for it.

I have used Vista since it was available to Australian Business users.

I stopped for a few months due to driver issues, but when drivers became available, I jumped back on the wagon.

As far as OS's go, Vista works, and runs more smoothly for what I do than XP ever did.

All I want is a clean, simple OS.

OS X or any Linux distro that uses GNOME (especially Mandriva) would fit the bill quite nicely :)

Just as long as you don't want to play games that is ;)

Wine's decent for gaming these days. But if you want Windows for gaming then XP is fine, and wait for Windows 7. Vista = phail.

Oh come on you are not really trying to convince people/me that Wine is any sort of a substitute for windows when it come to moderate gaming let alone serious gaming. :D

API (Application Programming Interface). *I am still learning.

I didn't ask what API stood for.

I asked you if you know what an API is. What it's used for, where you would use one, stuff like that.

It's pretty obvious from your post that you've picked up a bunch of buzzwords from Wikipedia and are firing them off in an attempt to look like you know what you're talking about.

Really? So if i was to say,

An API is a set of tools for building software applications and interfaces and good API's like Direct X 10 makes it easy for developers because of the tools being used for interface, software applications, routines and protocols.

Where would I get an API? Simple, the program has a number of files to choose from and most are already built in to create the graphics and such, with the ability to use Direct X 10 as a rendering program or in this case API and the API's main purpose is to create the interface for the operating system. I did not get that from wiki cause I don't go there anymore, I am reading from a book and asking questions from my mates who happen to render games using Direct X. i don't know to much as i stated as i said i was learning. You either accept that I am and quit making it out like I know everything, cause I don't, you don't, no one does. Everyone is learning.

Edited by index680i

So if i was to say,

An API is a set of tools for building software applications and interfaces and good API's like Direct X 10 makes it easy for developers because of the tools being used for interface, software applications, routines and protocols.

[...]

I am reading from a book

Wikpedia, book, whatever, you're quoting some text without really digesting it. Before you start preaching the virtues of Direct3D 10 (or whatever), you should really understand the subject matter. Playing "art time" with Maya doesn't qualify you to comment on coding for SM4.0, just as driving a car doesn't make you a mechanic.

quit making it out like I know everything.

Um no, YOU have been pretending to know everything, I'm the one that called you on it. Please read your posts aloud before you click that button.

So if i was to say,

[...]

I am reading from a book

Wikpedia, book, whatever, you're quoting some text without really digesting it. Before you start preaching the virtues of Direct3D 10 (or whatever), you should really understand the subject matter. Playing "art time" with Maya doesn't qualify you to comment on coding for SM4.0, just as driving a car doesn't make you a mechanic.

quit making it out like I know everything.

Um no, YOU have been pretending to know everything, I'm the one that called you on it. Please read your posts aloud before you click that button.

Yeah uh huh, I been posting text from a book. So does that go for everything you explain on this forum as well? Whats the point of me trying to explain to you what I know if I am being accused of copy and pasting when a matter a fact, i have been reading and have been posting what "I" only know. Yeah, maybe a few errors but does that make me 'Read" more from a "book?" If your going to make out my posts are copied and pasted then I don't know what try learning and explaining the scenario is. Um, there is other programs in which I use to and Blender is one of them. I was trying to say that I could "use" DX10 as a rendering system for animations and stuff seems though its "used" to render graphics for video games. What don't you understand about that? Did I just copy and paste that garbage, or used my head from what I have been reading and trying to learn? lol. If that's what your going to say on everyone of my posts, then I will think the same for you, if that's how you think. If that's your logic on how I do things, then so be it, because you are not sitting right next to me, watching how I get this information but ill give you credit on acing the book. Cause I don't know anyone who refuses to read from a book and learn something. If the world had no books, we would all be fucked wouldn't we? ;)

But that's just it, you haven't even tried to explain what you know.

Quoting (or even paraphrasing) text does not equal explaining. It's like the MCSE certifications, all it proves is that you've read and memorised the text within the books, not that you understand anything about Windows.

You still haven't explained how you, as an artist, would make use of the Direct3D 10 API. You compose your models with applications that make use of Direct3D 10, perhaps, but that's not you knowing the API.

IF you were coding your own game engine, then yes, you WOULD actually be using the API, making use of its various functions. But since you have a program that's already done all of that for you (Maya, Blender, 3ds max, etc), then the API itself is of little to no concern to you, and unless you're a programmer, then the particulars of it would be outside your area of "expertise".

Edit: *waits for ignorance of the meaning of 'function' in this context*

Edit2: What glitch said.

Edited by SquallStrife

Yeah uh huh, I been posting text from a book. So does that go for everything you explain on this forum as well? Whats the point of me trying to explain to you what I know if I am being accused of copy and pasting when a matter a fact, i have been reading and have been posting what "I" only know. Yeah, maybe a few errors but does that make me 'Read" more from a "book?" If your going to make out my posts are copied and pasted then I don't know what try learning and explaining the scenario is. Um, there is other programs in which I use to and Blender is one of them. I was trying to say that I could "use" DX10 as a rendering system for animations and stuff seems though its "used" to render graphics for video games. What don't you understand about that? Did I just copy and paste that garbage, or used my head from what I have been reading and trying to learn? lol. If that's what your going to say on everyone of my posts, then I will think the same for you, if that's how you think. If that's your logic on how I do things, then so be it, because you are not sitting right next to me, watching how I get this information but ill give you credit on acing the book. Cause I don't know anyone who refuses to read from a book and learn something. If the world had no books, we would all be fucked wouldn't we? ;)

There's information, and there's knowledge. The latter is quite uncommon. Knowledge can only come from experience, including but not limited to dissecting, comparing and contrasting multiple sources, considering other peoples views, and experimentation. A book is just a source of information. Regurgitating it is as useful as polishing a turd to make it pretty.

You don't appear to have sound knowledge of the benifets of DX10 and SM4.0. Google is for information, forums are for knowledge. :)

Google is for information, forums are for knowledge. :)

So a book ain't for knowledge? Why do they get you to read them in school? ;)

Forums is a source of information, just like anything on the internet.

/pff SS, I won't bother replying to you. Its quite simple when I say I am using DX10 for rendering a few things, why can't you get this. Its not a history lesson ffs.

Edited by index680i

So a book ain't for knowledge? Why do they get you to read them in school? ;)

A book contains information which they use to teach knowledge. It sticks for some people more than others.

Either way, as for the topic, I find it terribly hard to say that any OS is "good" or "bad". It's simply impossible.

All the people bashing Vista annoy me. Just as all the people who champion it above XP annoy me.

It's an OS with it's good and it's bad points.

Me personally? Turn of UAC, Aero, and the sidebar, spend <$100 on RAM, and I'm happy a monkey in a banana factory.

That being said, was I not given a free copy of Vista, I would be quite happy plodding along with XP.

Rob.

You are not not using Direct3D 10. Your application is. You place shadows, particles, bump maps, etc etc etc, you're NOT coding the rendering engine.

You're also referring to Direct3D 10, not DX10. DirectX 10 is the whole suite (DirectSound, DirectInput, DirectDraw, etc)

You should really take in what people who are older and wiser have to say, instead of insisting on being right despite your own words, and to the detriment of your credibility.

You should also make up your mind. You said you wouldn't reply to me, and did anyway. Classy.

Ah the people who forget the torment that was Windows XP pre- SP2.

Learn To Tweek.

/me thinks the Vista haters are technophobes

This.

Honestly, how short are people's memories? XP was unstable and buggy for a long time, and it seems that on the historical comparison, that Vista has been more stable, faster. Generational improvement, no?

x64 Vista is real Vista. IMO 32-bit is a concession to people that are silly enough to insist on their backwards compatibility with their old apps.

Ironically, I have had only one app not work in Vista x86. Sim Tower. So there. XP borked so many game installs.

Familiarity breeds security, and that's why XP still has fans. Otherwise, its ugly, has no proper x64 support, and doesn't use the best of new tech (i.e. no Vista-like CPU scheduler, no proper SSD support). But I have an old blanket that is threadbare, smelly, far too small and a childish colour. I still love it, but there't no chance it'd be my everyday blanket, is there?

It's so easy to hate the new and love the old. It's just totally irrational, that's all, and out of place in an industry that changes faster than anything else.

Tell me again how 'reduced functionality' is 'generational improvement'...?

I think you better get a better grasp on technology before you start calling me and Ashton Mills 'technophobes'.

Edited by just_some_guy

I think you better get a better grasp on technology before you start calling me and Ashton Mills 'technophobes'.

What reduced functionality? If anything, there is more functionality.

Luddite is probably a more accurate term.

For me, Vista is fine. It works, I've had no major hardware issues with it.

I like other people, waited before adopting it while they iron out the major bugs. It's been stable and very fast for me.

I'm happy to support software that I use by paying for it.

I had my reservations about Vista, having used XP since Day 1. I too however did the 'intelligent thing', based on years of experience and decided to wait a bit till at least the first Service Pack was released for Vista (that is what most people do isnt it?). I am glad I did. Despite my initiall reservations (I guess namely because I had become so used to and competent with XP) Vista so far is working absolutley fine for me. In fact I doubt i could go back to XP. In fact so far I am VERY happy with Vista. It has been stable and quick. Yes there are a few niggling concerns, but these I humbly argue are often PEBKAC issues from my behalf. No OS is 'perfect'.

I too pay for the software I use . . . (or work does).

Lol. Relax. Learn to tweak, you'll save on stress and live longer.

Secret, well put. Luddite is right.

/incorporates "Luddite" into 'Vista-is-fine-you-silly-customer' speech

Perhaps calling Ashton Mills (longstanding technical journalist, former editor of Atomic) and me (25 years hacking, building, programming and gaming on PCs) "luddites" makes you feel smarter or cooler or something.

But if you can't be bothered reading the several threads in the forums I've posted about the specifics of Vista's reduced functionality, then I can't be bothered posting it again.

I'd rather deal with actual luddites than wilfully ignorant fanbois, because at least luddites don't pretend to know what they're talking about.

Edited by just_some_guy

isn't all just a bit subjective anyway?

what if Vista fits my needs? what's wrong with me saying so?

what if Vista fits my needs? what's wrong with me saying so?

Nothing. Nothing at all. You are of course perfectly entitled to like whatever you want to like. And I'm not going to try to dissuade you from it.

To be clear, I don't dislike people who like Vista. I dislike disinformation about Vista, the misleading of less technically capable people, and the denigration of experienced geeks who have valid factual technical reasons and experience for their view that Vista is not, on balance, the advance over XP that Microsoft and its fanbois would want us to believe.

And the only reason I even bother to post my opinion is because, the more people are content to suck on polished turds from Redmond, the more Redmond will feel encouraged to serve up polish turds instead of genuine improvements.

isn't all just a bit subjective anyway?

Well, I guess elements of what you like vs don't like can be subjective. But when it comes down to matters like 'system overhead', 'or performance per clock cycle' or 'hardcoded limits on the IP stack', or 'system resources devoted to new DRM restrictions' or 'new system directory access restrictions' etc, then it's not subjective at all. It's all a matter of observable/benchmarkable fact.

For some people, none of that will matter. Nor should it. They're not power users, they're prepared to pay Microsoft whatever they want and be happy enough with whatever Microsoft dishes up.

I'd have thought (though clearly I am wrong) that to 'Atomicans', people who allegedly gather together because they care about 'maximum power computing', that facts, and advancements in functionality, would be important.

Edited by just_some_guy

Perhaps calling Ashton Mills (longstanding technical journalist, former editor of Atomic) and me (25 years hacking, building, programming and gaming on PCs) "luddites" makes you feel smarter or cooler or something.

But if you can't be bothered reading the several threads in the forums I've posted about the specifics of Vista's reduced functionality, then I can't be bothered posting it again.

I'd rather deal with actual luddites than wilfully ignorant fanbois, because at least luddites don't pretend to know what they're talking about.

I have yet to see a concise list of your problems with Vista. Why not make one instead of indicating to various scattered replies?

As for Ashton Mills, I have not read his stuff recently, but considering his on occasion anti-microsoft stance, I would not be surprised by an anti-vista article.

To be clear, I don't dislike people who like Vista. I dislike disinformation about Vista, the misleading of less technically capable people, and the denigration of experienced geeks who have valid factual technical reasons and experience for their view that Vista is not, on balance, the advance over XP that Microsoft and its fanbois would want us to believe.

So the majority of people who prefer vista are simply fanboys?

Well, I guess elements of what you like vs don't like can be subjective. But when it comes down to matters like 'system overhead', 'or performance per clock cycle' or 'hardcoded limits on the IP stack', or 'system resources devoted to new DRM restrictions' or 'new system directory access restrictions' etc, then it's not subjective at all. It's all a matter of observable/benchmarkable fact.

Exactly. So how are your claims not subjective?

As you're already trying to twist my words with an obvious agenda in mind, I see no point in yet again typing out a list which I have already typed out in various Atomic threads, at least a half dozen times.

As you're already trying to twist my words with an obvious agenda in mind, I see no point in yet again typing out a list which I have already typed out in various Atomic threads, at least a half dozen times.

Lol...what agenda?

At least link me to this list then. I frequent the Windows forums, and do not recall ever seeing such a post.

My only agenda is establishing if there is any truth to your claims, and if the problems you experience are limited to you or indicative of the whole.