Sign in to follow this  
Mr a-bomb

The Windows Vista Appreciation Thread

Windows Vista  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you say Vista is a fine operating system?

• Yes. Yes, I would.

You guys are needed over in the networking forum, to tell that guy that the common "XP machine wont network with Vista machine" problem he's experiencing doesn't actually exist ;)

We have no problems admitting the existence of an actual problem and helping to fix it.

As opposed t making wild baseless claims approaching trolling.

We have no problems admitting the existence of an actual problem and helping to fix it.

But clearly, you do have problems.

I mean, here it is, 30 minutes after you took the time to post your barb above ... but I'm still the only one who has actually posted solutions in that guy's thread to assist him.

That's kind of ironic, isn't it? You have time to call me a troll in the Vista spruiking thread, but no time to help a guy having problems with Vista.

That high horse of yours looks more like a hobby horse to me.

Edited by just_some_guy

just_some_guy, you're assuming that he knows how to solve it. The fact of the matter is, he probably doesn't know the solution. Stop trolling. If every XP user knew the answer to every XP issue, then sure, your post would have some validity. But it doesn't.

just_some_guy, you're assuming that he knows how to solve it. The fact of the matter is, he probably doesn't know the solution. Stop trolling. If every XP user knew the answer to every XP issue, then sure, your post would have some validity. But it doesn't.

Uhuh.

Uhuh.

Uhuh.

I am genuinely surprised that, given the number of people constantly spruiking Vista in these forums, there's still only one reply in the Networking forum trying to help the guy solve his Vista problem, and that reply is from me.

Have you guys never had the common problem of networking a Vista PC with an XP one?

Edited by just_some_guy

Nope because I have never tried to do it. There is only Vista machines at home and XP/linux at work.

Also it should be noted that not everyone in Windows would go to Networking, it is a bit of a big assumption that everyone in this thread has gone over, read the other thread and not bothered to comment (or whatever).

Just like a lot of the regulars in Networking (eg segger) wouldn't necessarily know how to fix it as they are network engineers and not windows troubleshooters.

I could also comment that the thread was posted at 2317 on a Sunday night, you replied at 0132 Monday morning. It's now only just 11 hours since the OP.

There isn't many threads that get solved on a Sunday night that quickly.

I've never hd an issue networking Vista and XP machines.

mind you, I did have a router, and DHCP (and DHCP reservations)

Though I don't really see the issue with setting static IP addresses in either OS being an issue either.

There isn't many threads that get solved on a Sunday night that quickly.

Fair comment.

Mind you, the person claiming "We have no problems admitting the existence of an actual problem and helping to fix it " obviously had the time to post that in the early hours of the morning ... but neither the time nor skill to actually help the Atomican having an actual problem with Vista networking.

And me, the guy who is apparently 'trolling' when he points out to all you Vista fans that someone could use your help in Networking, is still the only one who has actually tried so far to help.

That's irony to the power of three. Surely we can't like that go unremarked in this wonderful thread designed to troll me and others who have problems with Vista?

Edited by just_some_guy

t should be noted that not everyone in Windows would go to Networking, it is a bit of a big assumption that everyone in this thread has gone over, read the other thread and not bothered to comment (or whatever).

Just like a lot of the regulars in Networking (eg segger) wouldn't necessarily know how to fix it as they are network engineers and not windows troubleshooters.

You don't see me posting in every building/storage/linux/windows thread even though I could possibly add something to them. I don't have the time nor inclination to read them all so I don't post in them.

And like I pointed out, I haven't done XP-Vista networking. Maybe TheSecret hasn't either.

Mind you, the person claiming "We have no problems admitting the existence of an actual problem and helping to fix it " obviously had the time to post that in the early hours of the morning ... but neither the time nor skill to actually help the Atomican having an actual problem with Vista networking.

And me, the guy who is apparently 'trolling' when he points out to all you Vista fans that someone could use your help in Networking, is still the only one who has actually tried so far to help.

That's irony to the power of three. Surely we can't like that go unremarked in this wonderful thread designed to troll me and others who have problems with Vista?

Much like iamthemaxx, there are many threads I could contribute something to, but don't. A post so vague on detsils is not one I really felt like responding to. I tend to be more interested in technical problems in the security or unix sections, not figuring out a basic windows networking problem. I felt it was far more productive to point out your continual vista bashing, in the hopes it may be explained, or might stop.

Edited by TheSecret

I haven't done XP-Vista networking. Maybe TheSecret hasn't either.

Well, perhaps he should have STFU about it then, instead of trying to use it as yet another opportunity to play 'bash the person pointing out the problems with Vista'.

I mean, would Atomic to prefer people use its technical forums to actually help Atomicans who are actually having problems with Vista, or would it prefer them to spend their days creating troll threads like this one, designed purely to aggravate people like me and Ashton Mills, and push the fantasy that 'there are no problems with Vista'?

At the moment, on the basis of locks applied, it appears the moderator-sanctioned norm is that it's okay to deride and troll anyone who dares talk about Vista's problems, rather than encourage those of us who take the time to try to help others resolve those problems.

there are many threads I could contribute something to, but don't. A post so vague on detsils is not one I really felt like responding to. I tend to be more interested in technical problems in the security or unix sections, not figuring out a basic windows networking problem.

That's cool. I respect your decision to spend your online time helping in those areas where you are both competent and interested. After all, none of us are being paid to write helpful stuff for Atomic's benefit.

I felt it was far more productive to point out your continual vista bashing, in the hopes it may be explained, or might stop.

Well, ok.

But please don't you get upset then when, quid pro quo, those of us who are tired of being bashed for not being in love with Vista, choose to spend some of our time pointing out the misleadingly rosey picture of Vista that's being so promoted so aggressively in the Atomic forums by its fans.

I don't like seeing noobs and less experienced being duped in that way, particularly in an allegedly 'maximum power computing' forum.

I feel a small amount of information to counter the Microsoft propaganda is warranted.

Edited by just_some_guy

But please don't you get upset then when, qiud pro quo, those of us who are tired of being bashed for pointing out the realities of Vista, also choose to spend some of our time pointing out the overwhlemingly and misleadingly rosey picture of Vista that's promoted in this forum.

I don't like seeing noobs and less experienced being duped in that way, particularly in an allegedly 'maximum power computing' forum.

Sure, I would get annoyed at unfair bashing just as much as fanboyism. Have a look at Waltish in the Linux section as an example.

All I have seen however, is people using Vista saying they prefer it, or

people using vista who had problems at the start, but it now works fine, or

people who simply prefer XP to Vista, because of application compatibility or cost or something, but don't bash Vista.

Then I see you, always pointing out how crap Vista is, without having ever giving substantiating reasons. I have searched the forum, and been unable to find any. I asked you to link to some, and you never replied. Just provide some basis why you think Vista is such crap, or STFU.

I have searched the forum, and been unable to find any.

You can't have looked very hard. I've presented my list on at least a half dozen prior ocassions.

I asked you to link to some, and you never replied.

Well that's simply a lie. I did respond. My response was something like "I am not going to bother listing them again when I've already done that a half dozen times, and based on your responses, you clearly have an agenda to twist my words, and so have a closed mind to the facts."

Just provide some basis why you think Vista is such crap, or STFU.

I may bother to find it and cut and paste it here, for your benefit. But if you want to find it, just look for threads I created that Iamthemaxx locked. Mostly, my factual reporting of Vista problems gets buried under the weight of people telling me there are no problems, and "I'm just doing it wrong", etc. Then, confronted by the ongoing slanging, Iamthemaxx usually gags the whole thread.

Unlike this one, where slanging of me and people like me continues to be ok, apparently.

All I have seen however, is people using Vista saying they prefer it,

And if that's where they stopped, that might be fine. But they don't. They then go on to promote the fallacy that there are no problems with Vista, that make the insulting comments that anyone who has problems with Vista is 'imagining it', or 'doing it wrong' or 'an idiot' or a 'Microsoft hater'.

I'm not fine with that. It's quite annoying, when you're trying to advance the communal understanding on a factual basis, to have threads degenerate into consistent insults by enthusiastic halfwits who don't even realise the limits of their own ignorance.

So, hey, fair's fair, and what goes around comes around. When someone makes sweeping generalised statements about how wonderful Vista is, I'll feel entitled to make a sweeping generalised statement about the counter reality.

In fact, I'll even lead by example and go a little further than that. If I believe there's any point in adding specific factual examples - ie there's a chance that someone with appropriate expertise and a sufficiently open mind might actually find those comments useful, or at least consider them - then I'll probably add that to my post, too.

But you know, a moderator sanctioned thread about how wonderful Vista is, which the original poster stated in writing he only created in order to troll me, and which contains a nonsensical one-option poll, is not a place where I feel there will be any factual dialogue about Vista's shortcomings.

Edited by just_some_guy

You can't have looked very hard. I've presented my list on at least a half dozen prior ocassions.

I used combinations such as just_some_guy, vista, problems, issues etc. Not much was found, and certainly no list

Well that's simply a lie. I did respond. My response was something like "I am not going to bother listing them again when I've already done that a half dozen times, and based on your responses, you clearly have an agenda to twist my words, and so have a closed mind to the facts."

OK, I was not meaning to lie. I meant you had not replied with a list

I may bother to find it and cut and paste it here, for your benefit. But if you want to find it, just look for threads I created that Iamthemaxx locked. Mostly, my factual reporting of Vista problems gets buried under the weight of people telling me there are no problems, and "I'm just doing it wrong", etc. Then, confronted by the ongoing slanging, Iamthemaxx usually gags the whole thread.

Unlike this one, where slanging of me and people like me continues to be ok, apparently.

The only thread I could find was one where you blamed a problem with netmeeting on Vista. I would appreciate you pointing out any other problems.

And if that's where they stopped, that might be fine. But they don't. They then go on to promote the fallacy that there are no problems with Vista, that make the insulting comments that anyone who has problems with Vista is 'imagining it', or 'doing it wrong' or 'an idiot' or a 'Microsoft hater'.

I'm not fine with that. It's quite annoying, when you're trying to advance the communal understanding on a factual basis, to have threads degenerate into consistent insults by enthusiastic halfwits who don't even realise the limits of their own ignorance.

Well, so far it does seem to have been a case of "doing it wrong" or a non microsoft problem, such as 3rd party drivers. I will reserve judgement until I see you're list.

So, hey, fair's fair, and what goes around comes around. When someone makes sweeping generalised statements about how wonderful Vista is, I'll feel entitled to make a sweeping generalised statement about the counter reality.

In fact, I'll even lead by example and go a little further than that. If I believe there's any point in adding specific factual examples - ie there's a chance that someone with appropriate expertise and a sufficiently open mind might actually find those comments useful, or at least consider them - then I'll probably add that to my post, too.

But you know, a moderator sanctioned thread about how wonderful Vista is, which the original poster stated in writing he only created in order to troll me, and which contains a nonsensical one-option poll, is not a place where I feel there will be any factual dialogue about Vista's shortcomings.

I don't know about that. I would think a thread just to attack you was wrong, but that does not seem to be the case. I have seen you comment only to attack vista, regardless of topic.

But please don't you get upset then when, qiud pro quo, those of us who are tired of being bashed for pointing out the realities of Vista, also choose to spend some of our time pointing out the overwhlemingly and misleadingly rosey picture of Vista that's promoted in this forum.

Sure, I would get annoyed at unfair bashing just as much as fanboyism. Have a look at Waltish in the Linux section as an example.

All I have seen however, is people using Vista saying they prefer it, or

people using vista who had problems at the start, but it now works fine, or

people who simply prefer XP to Vista, because of application compatibility or cost or something, but don't bash Vista.

Then I see you, always pointing out how crap Vista is, without having ever giving substantiating reasons. I have searched the forum, and been unable to find any. I asked you to link to some, and you never replied. Just provide some basis why you think Vista is such crap, or STFU.

QFT!

He wrote the truth...

Good work...

I totally agree with you

just_some_guy, most of the bugs were removed in SP1.

People who hate Vista either haven't tried Vista to say it sucks, don't have a system good enough to use Vista or used Vista at the start when it had a lot of bugs then downgraded and have never returned.

I mean even Windows 7 Beta has a lot of bugs... do you think that if Microsoft released Vista into Beta, and let the public inform them about the bugs they found and then later on released a proper version of Vista with bugs occurring to a minimum level? This whole controversy wouldn't be happening.

Edited by raradawg

My home network is a mix of Linux, XP, Server 2003, Vista, W7 and Mac machines, and I have no trouble getting them to talk.

The main difficulties lie in the way Vista's group policies and user rights are configured out of the box. Further complicated by the fact that you're not able to manipulate them on Home Basic and Home Premium (Just like XP Home), not to mention software firewall shenannigans.

People who hate Vista either haven't tried Vista to say it sucks, don't have a system good enough to use Vista or used Vista at the start when it had a lot of bugs then downgraded and have never returned.

To make a comment like that, after all that has been said so far in this thread, makes you, sir, a retard.

Please go back to your sheltered workshop, where your ignorant comments will be feel more at home, along with the slack jawed dribble that no doubt occurs when you utter them.

K.

Thx.

Bai.

Edited by just_some_guy

You found the locked Netmeeting thread, but you couldn't find the numbered list I posted in that thread about why I feel Vista...?

And that's about it. I see it all derails into name calling and shit slinging. My 12 yr old and 9 yr old behave better than some of you do.

Shutting this one down. I think we are ALL over it.