Sign in to follow this  
lunchbox1988

Eeepc - Owners And Wanters Thread.

Does you has a EEE?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an EEEPC - If so which one/s?

• E1000H AtomHDD Version
    • E1000 Atom SSD Version
    • E901 Atom SSD
    • E904 Celeron HDD Version
    • E70x Celeron Tiny SSD Version
  2. 2. What OS do you use?

• Windows VIsta (any)
    • Windows XP (any)
    • Xandros (Default)
    • Xandros (standard)
    • Xandros Custom Flavour
    • Ubuntu (standard)
    • UbuntuEEE
    • EEEbuntu
    • EEEXubuntu
    • EEEKubuntu
    • Ubuntu (other flavour / custom)
    • Redhat
    • Mandriva
    • Lindows
    • MintOS
    • CentOS
    • ReactOS Beta
    • Debian (EEE Project or other)
    • Other (please specify)

I have used debian.

I wasn't a huge fan.

When it comes to an OS, I tend to want it to work for me, not me work for it for three months and then it works for me.

I'm now running Ubuntu eee on my 900. I quite like except that I still can't connect wirelessly to my linksys when encryption is turned on. Spewin'. Works great in unsecured mode but as soon as you turn any form of WEP of WPA on you can't pick up an IP address and connect to the web.

There seems something that the Linksys & and the eeePC don't like about each other. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have used debian.

I wasn't a huge fan.

When it comes to an OS, I tend to want it to work for me, not me work for it for three months and then it works for me.

You sure you're not thinking of Linux from scratch?

Debian is pretty much install and go...

I have used debian.

I wasn't a huge fan.

You sure you're not thinking of Linux from scratch?

Debian is pretty much install and go...

Yea, but getting apps, drivers and the likes to work the way I want them to, just takes too much.

I sound like a whiny lazy bastard, but that is because I am.

Let me know how the aspire is for battery and the like, if I can land one for cheap I may buy one for purely linux testing and playing.

That's exactly why I've bought one, plus lugging a macbook pro around on your back all the time is painful when you're as much of a weak cunt as me :P

Im now running eeeBuntu standard on my 701. Comes with compiz eye candy and all the apps I need. Seems quite good! I think by default it is setting the clock speed to 900Mhz which I may need to change somehow to get better battery life. But for the moment it's good!

In the last 2 days I have tried:

Ububtu eee NBR

eeeBuntu NBR

eeeBuntu STD

gOS

Goddamn...Wasted a lot of time on that!

Got a 1000H on the weekend. Have upgraded to 2GB RAM, plan on sticking with XP on it. Runs Visual Web Developer Express fairly well, which I'm using to play around with things during my commute. Also, World of Warcraft surprisingly playable -- 10-20FPS depending on where you are (something like 0.2FPS if you're foolish enough to drop into Shattrath).

I installed vista and works pretty sweet but asus havent written a ACPI driver for vista yet so im waiting on that.

I bit the bullet and impulse bought the E70x Version from catchoftheday. Its the linux version, its Pink, small and I love it. Using it while I'm traveling, it does what I need it to do which is usually just wireless/internet access.

I'm sure ill install and play with more tweaks when i have time, but its great with all the basics now :)

Has anyone heard any news on the new models? weren't they supposed to be released sometime this month?

i'm eager to buy a 1000h but i keep thinking that as soon as i buy one the new models will come out xD

I bit the bullet and impulse bought the E70x Version from catchoftheday. Its the linux version, its Pink, small and I love it. Using it while I'm traveling, it does what I need it to do which is usually just wireless/internet access.

I'm sure ill install and play with more tweaks when i have time, but its great with all the basics now :)

Way to go Sil.

I have just put a 320GB Samsung drive in mine, updating drivers as I type.

I am hoping the slight amperage requirement increase won't kill the battery too much.

I have a few questions:

What's the battery life like in these?

Which one is the best performer out of the various models?

and is the small keyboard a pain?

I've been looking to get a small fairly cheap solid state laptop that will run xp for my uni studies and the eee looks like it might be the way to go. However I have been wondering about those questions....

Guest MrInsaneBuff

I expecting delivery of my 1000HD sometime this week. Why did i get it you ask? Well becuase it was dirt damn cheap.

Do i mind a great deal about the celeron vs atom? Nope

All its going to be doing is playing video files and surfing the net. Maybe a little bit of gaming with fallout.

With my current 701 i just use it for the same and ive worked out i dont need massive battery life.

The larger HDD is something im looking forward to, along with the intergrated bluetooth. I really have to find some bluetooth headphones now.

Got the 4G Linux version, battery life about 4 hours or so, just net surfing.

Keyboard, have to get used to the keyboard layout, but the my fingers aren't big so the size doesn't bother me at all.

Can't say much about the different models, but if you want more power and more stuff, go for the 90x/1000x models.

My hands are large, and the 1000H is awesome for me, a little small, but I got used to it after about 3 days.

I get about 6 - 6.5 hours on the battery, I am getting a larger battery for it though, 8800MAh, which people are saying gets them about 10 - 13 hours.

My hands are large, and the 1000H is awesome for me, a little small, but I got used to it after about 3 days.

I get about 6 - 6.5 hours on the battery, I am getting a larger battery for it though, 8800MAh, which people are saying gets them about 10 - 13 hours.

Thanks Mate

I think I might have to go into a store and play with a display model a bit more.

I did have a brief look at one and some similar models when the state was weighing up options for what type of laptops kids will be issued with as part of Kevin's new policy. However, I didn't get a big chance to sit and stare.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

If you henpeck like me, the keyboard size really isnt a problem.

Anyone got any links for those 8800MAh batteries?